Chris Froome Discussion Thread. - Page 41 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 12-06-12, 02:40
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,383
Default

Also the best Foreigner.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 12-06-12, 16:19
Dedelou's Avatar
Dedelou Dedelou is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jamaica, New York, USA
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Also the best Foreigner.
yeah! But was he the best Chris Froome?
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 12-07-12, 13:56
mountainrman mountainrman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 375
Default

The argument continues :-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froo...gainst-wiggins

Froome says he never rode against Brad,

Brad says he almost quit the tour because of it - and in the biography spends 4 pages talking about the incident.

It seems to me the two are not mutually exclusive - Froome wanting to distance Nibail to nail down 2nd does not compromise brad even if he takes time from him: Brad was safe.According to Brads autobiography Froomey asked for the freedom to consolidate his second position against Nibali and the team turned him down.

I actually think the problem is with Sky being greedy. You cannot have three riders of the quality of Cavendish, Brad and Froomey and support them all to the degree they deserve. Expecting a guy of froome or cavs ability to play domestique is unfair on them - they only have one chance to enter sporting history and fulfill the life dream.

Last edited by mountainrman; 12-07-12 at 14:00.
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 12-07-12, 14:52
William H William H is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 295
Default

One second place at the Vuelta and nothing else wasn't really enough to say that he was too good to be a domestique for the Tour.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 12-07-12, 15:35
mountainrman mountainrman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H View Post
One second place at the Vuelta and nothing else wasn't really enough to say that he was too good to be a domestique for the Tour.
True.

But the second (would have been first at Vuelta- had the team acted on Brads suggestion that he take over as leader)

Combined with his second GC classement at the time of this debate having lost most of that on a mishap demonstrated by the time of the argument he was one of the best grand tour riders of the era.

So I think he Should have been given the nod to claim a couple of stages and also make sure he stayed clear of Nibali and Cadel. If the gap to Bradley had closed significantly then he could have held back.

The deal they did with Cav demonstrates that they are being to greedy with taking riders they cannot support enough.

It will be interesting to see the final outcome on who in the end Sky backs for tour 2013,

Froomey certainly deserves his shot, although I suspect Bradley took advantage of a (relatively) weak field this year. Next year will be harder with Berty (if tinkoff are allowed to compete) and the clear potential of some of the newcomers. Froomey may never get another chance, or regain the fitness he had for the last 12 months.

If Froomey gets better which he still may, he could become unbeatable.

Last edited by mountainrman; 12-07-12 at 18:11.
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 12-07-12, 18:58
maxmartin's Avatar
maxmartin maxmartin is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CA USA
Posts: 3,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrman View Post
The argument continues :-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froo...gainst-wiggins

Froome says he never rode against Brad,

Brad says he almost quit the tour because of it - and in the biography spends 4 pages talking about the incident.

It seems to me the two are not mutually exclusive - Froome wanting to distance Nibail to nail down 2nd does not compromise brad even if he takes time from him: Brad was safe.According to Brads autobiography Froomey asked for the freedom to consolidate his second position against Nibali and the team turned him down.

I actually think the problem is with Sky being greedy. You cannot have three riders of the quality of Cavendish, Brad and Froomey and support them all to the degree they deserve. Expecting a guy of froome or cavs ability to play domestique is unfair on them - they only have one chance to enter sporting history and fulfill the life dream.
CF is fake, but W also looks like a drama queen in this case when he considered leaving Tour that night. What a joke! His mental state is like 10 year old girl in 2012 Tour!!

"CF has again denied that he deliberately looked to distance Bradley Wiggins on La Toussuire at the Tour de France and expressed his regret that his Sky teammate supposedly considered leaving the race that evening."
__________________
Either SKY bring us into future or bring us back ten years. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 12-07-12, 21:12
cineteq's Avatar
cineteq cineteq is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 6,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrman View Post
The argument continues :-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froo...gainst-wiggins

Froome says he never rode against Brad,

Brad says he almost quit the tour because of it - and in the biography spends 4 pages talking about the incident.


I actually think the problem is with Sky being greedy. You cannot have three riders of the quality of Cavendish, Brad and Froomey and support them all to the degree they deserve. Expecting a guy of froome or cavs ability to play domestique is unfair on them - they only have one chance to enter sporting history and fulfill the life dream.
In hindsight, Sky could have satisfied all 3 riders, but the goal was to have Wiggo winning the Tour no matter what. Thus they did what they needed to do:
- Froome suffered a flat tire towards the end of stage 1 and lost about 1 minute and Sky didn't seem to be in a hurry to help him.
- Wiggins and Sky didn't want Froome to gain time at all since he could compromise Wiggo's 1st place as he did in 2011 Vuelta. Also watch A Year in Yellow and see the Yates' reaction.

If Froome said he didn't attack Wiggins, but rather Nibali, so why he didn't say that to Wiggo or said something in the press conference?
Wiggins is one of the most insecure riders out there, thus he wanted to leave the Tour after Froome attacked him, I mean Nibali.

In the end, actions speak louder than words.
__________________
Quote:
Ban team radios!
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 12-07-12, 21:31
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

You're not allowed to attack during a bike race. Bradley Wiggins was correct when he threatened to leave the Tour because someone was so pathetic he made one attack during a 3 week stage race.

Boy, the Tour has sunk low. This race will never make it into the WT. What's it status now? 1.1?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-07-12 at 21:34.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 12-07-12, 21:39
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
You're not allowed to attack during a bike race. Bradley Wiggins was correct when he threatened to leave the Tour because someone was so pathetic he made one attack during a 3 week stage race.

Boy, the Tour has sunk low. This race will never make it into the WT. What's it status now? 1.1?
What else was he going to write about?
Evans panache?
Nibali's descending skills and bravery or
JVDB's endless attacking?
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 12-07-12, 22:01
Angliru's Avatar
Angliru Angliru is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
What else was he going to write about?
Evans panache?
Nibali's descending skills and bravery or
JVDB's endless attacking?
If it's true that he devoted several pages to his Diva moment response to Froome's momentary lapse that should have been easily attributed to his inexperience and youth, then he was better served simply leaving that admission out. Is his mental state so fragile that the slightest deviation from the team's plan had him considering pulling out of the race--all while leading the race and close to reaching his ultimate goal? Really doesn't reflect well on him at all.
__________________
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler

Last edited by Angliru; 12-07-12 at 22:02. Reason: Can't spell!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.