Sky/Froome Talk Only (No Way Sky Are Cleans?) - Page 77 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-07-12, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
So just to confirm... You are implying that EBH is doping?
WE need a new EBH thread I think.
Old 12-07-12, 15:04

Default Boassen Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie's eyesore View Post
WE need a new EBH thread I think.
well from what I witnessed.....yes !! the other riders in the breakaway and the peloton looked like they were tired and their faces said a definite 'god not more mountains' as they looked over to the next set of climbs.

EBH looked like he was discussing the algarve's beaches..
Old 12-07-12, 15:24
Administrator

Then open another thread. This is the Sky/Froome talk thread, remember?

Susan
Old 12-07-12, 17:00

Froome also expressed his hope that he has fully recovered from the Bilharzia virus, which he contracted two years ago and which again hindered his preparation in the spring of 2012. “It’s a parasite that is carried in water and enters the skin, attacking the red blood cells. You feel exhausted and your immune system is weakened,” he said. “They diagnosed it two years ago and I hope that I don’t have any more relapses.”

I like Froome and believe that Sky are trying to run a clean team, BUT I am left with some suspicions about this quote.
Anyone know what the treatment for Bilharzia is?
Do you get anything to make the red blood cells better/fresh/renewed??
If he had it in the spring 2012 what treatment did he get then?
Would it have been covered by a TIU (or whatever they are called) and does anyone publish a full list of medication allowed by TUI's?
Clinic users may smile, but its the only evidence about Sky I have been concerned about, so far anyway.
Old 12-07-12, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
So theres the excuse for no results in 2013.

First race is the Volta ao Algarve....now isnt that where the Sky train tested their marginal gains ? Porte and Wiggins tearing it through the mountains ? I remember watching Boassen Hagen in the breakaway - on the Queen mountain stage - having a conversation and laughing after having climbed for an hour from sea level....looked like he could have had a coffee while riding.
That's the exact way they wanted you to read it too, as if Froome's getting the excuses in already. For me, it's obvious Froome has been asked about the illness, because he goes into detail about explaining what it is. It's natural that he would bring up his own thoughts and "fears" about the illness returning.
Old 12-07-12, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
Quote:
Froome also expressed his hope that he has fully recovered from the Bilharzia virus, which he contracted two years ago and which again hindered his preparation in the spring of 2012. “It’s a parasite that is carried in water and enters the skin, attacking the red blood cells. You feel exhausted and your immune system is weakened,” he said. “They diagnosed it two years ago and I hope that I don’t have any more relapses.”
I like Froome and believe that Sky are trying to run a clean team, BUT I am left with some suspicions about this quote.
Anyone know what the treatment for Bilharzia is?
Do you get anything to make the red blood cells better/fresh/renewed??
If he had it in the spring 2012 what treatment did he get then?
Would it have been covered by a TIU (or whatever they are called) and does anyone publish a full list of medication allowed by TUI's?
Clinic users may smile, but its the only evidence about Sky I have been concerned about, so far anyway.
I am not concerned about TUEs or medication for the illness. I'm concerned that it will be a 'legitimate' reason for blood pass going crazy.
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-07-12, 23:00

Classic blood withdrawal tells are:

* depressed Hgb
* increased retics ie the body's natural response to hypoxia.

But if someone has a blood-borne disease that eats red blood cells, the same phenomenon would occur / be seen in blood passport values.

How do you prove you have the disease, and if you get a medical certificate from SA, your home country, from a doctor there, would you ever need to be retested to prove you had it?
Old 12-07-12, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Classic blood withdrawal tells are:

* depressed Hgb
* increased retics ie the body's natural response to hypoxia.

But if someone has a blood-borne disease that eats red blood cells, the same phenomenon would occur / be seen in blood passport values.

How do you prove you have the disease, and if you get a medical certificate from SA, your home country, from a doctor there, would you ever need to be retested to prove you had it?
Surly the Team GB Docs would test him? Surly they wouldnt leave it to a SA Doc?

Treatment is usually by praziquantel Interesting this
Quote:
Praziquantel is not licensed for use in humans in the UK
Old 12-07-12, 23:23

Map showing countries with corresponding rates of Schistosomiasis (aka Bilharzia or Bilharziasis):

So even with the rate previously described, it seems like Kenya's actually not one of the worst places for incidence of the disease, with Niger and Angola being the worst-affected, followed by Mali and Mozambique. Still, it's a significantly higher risk than anywhere with any kind of cycling tradition with the exception of Eritrea.

Forever tęte de la course.
Old 12-07-12, 23:39

Apparently someone can carry it for months and even years before it effects you so who know where he got it from?