The 2013 CQ Ranking Manager Game - Page 9 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 12-06-12, 16:21
Administrator

First time playing the game this year, so I was wondering, what are people's opinions on picking riders in the 600-1000 point range? Good idea? Bad idea? I looked through the teams of the guys that made top 10 last year and there weren't a lot of riders in that point range.

There's one 700 point rider that is currently on my team, but I'm not sure if I should keep him or not.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-06-12, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
First time playing the game this year, so I was wondering, what are people's opinions on picking riders in the 600-1000 point range? Good idea? Bad idea? I looked through the teams of the guys that made top 10 last year and there weren't a lot of riders in that point range.

There's one 700 point rider that is currently on my team, but I'm not sure if I should keep him or not.
Hi Afrank and welcome to the game!

If I remember correctly, The Hitch was among the first who "theorized" the game in season one, 2011. His idea was to pick riders who were close to the average cost, 227 (7500/33). I'm sorry if I'm wrong about this Hitch

However, when you look at the last two year's "best possible team" both teams have one very expensive rider - Gilbert the first year and Wiggins this year (I don't remember if there actually were two expensive picks in the best possible team for 2011, but one at a minimum). The reason should be quite clear: they make big points, perhaps doubling their score, while making room for cheaper riders, like Cobo in season one, Moser in season two and so on who return a huge amount of points and doesn't cost much.

If you inlude mainly riders costing around the 227 mark, you won't be able to include many low costing riders which have the best return in percentage because you obviously want to get as close to 7500 as possible.

However, and this was one of the original arguments for picking riders around the 227 mark, picking an expensive rider comes with a big risk. If he gets injuried you've lost a lot of points. By picking a lot of 227-ish riders you reduce the variance.

When all this is said, I'm pretty sure that the best possible team will always contain one very expensive rider, but that by no means mean that you should include one expensive rider. It might be higher expected value to not do so, because you have to find that one magic, expensive rider that's gonna score a lot of points. If you don't you might not do very well.

I don't think there's a definite answer to your question and when all comes down to it, it depends on the riders and their values and how you think they'll do next year.
Old 12-07-12, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mountain View Post
Sun tour is a 'national event' and wont be paying CQ points. Aussie/NZ nationals first up I think.
Ah thanks.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 12-07-12, 01:32

Herald Sun Tour is not on the national series and international teams are competing so I am not so sure if it will be discounted from CQ points or not.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-07-12, 04:09

I am still a bit confused about the sending of the teams. Do we send you the riders names on a private message or do we send you a private message with our team filled out in the excel file?
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-08-12, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Herald Sun Tour is not on the national series and international teams are competing so I am not so sure if it will be discounted from CQ points or not.
To clarify - Jayco Herald Sun Tour 2013 is classified by the UCI as NE (National Event), ie the same as for example Cancer Council Classic. CQ Ranking does not attribute points for NE classified events.
Old 12-09-12, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
I am still a bit confused about the sending of the teams. Do we send you the riders names on a private message or do we send you a private message with our team filled out in the excel file?
Just send me a list of the riders. The Excel file is just to make it easier to create your team and avoid spelling mistakes etc.
Old 12-09-12, 10:02

Thanks Hugo for clearing that up. I was pretty sure that was the case but just wanted to confirm. I will send it to you within the next 24 hours.
Old 12-09-12, 19:38

Very nearly there and just a few points to spend and it's looking like my team could include riders from all four corners.
Old 12-09-12, 23:17
Administrator

Hmm, 476 points and 2 spots left. Spend it on a 400 pointer and a cheap guy to fill out the roster, or divide the points equally between two 200 pointer riders, hmm. It's getting harder to pick the more complete my team gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
Hi Afrank and welcome to the game!

If I remember correctly, The Hitch was among the first who "theorized" the game in season one, 2011. His idea was to pick riders who were close to the average cost, 227 (7500/33). I'm sorry if I'm wrong about this Hitch

However, when you look at the last two year's "best possible team" both teams have one very expensive rider - Gilbert the first year and Wiggins this year (I don't remember if there actually were two expensive picks in the best possible team for 2011, but one at a minimum). The reason should be quite clear: they make big points, perhaps doubling their score, while making room for cheaper riders, like Cobo in season one, Moser in season two and so on who return a huge amount of points and doesn't cost much.

If you inlude mainly riders costing around the 227 mark, you won't be able to include many low costing riders which have the best return in percentage because you obviously want to get as close to 7500 as possible.

However, and this was one of the original arguments for picking riders around the 227 mark, picking an expensive rider comes with a big risk. If he gets injuried you've lost a lot of points. By picking a lot of 227-ish riders you reduce the variance.

When all this is said, I'm pretty sure that the best possible team will always contain one very expensive rider, but that by no means mean that you should include one expensive rider. It might be higher expected value to not do so, because you have to find that one magic, expensive rider that's gonna score a lot of points. If you don't you might not do very well.

I don't think there's a definite answer to your question and when all comes down to it, it depends on the riders and their values and how you think they'll do next year.
Thanks, I will definitely have at least one expensive rider, decided to take out the other expensive rider though.

By the way, this is a stupid question , but what is the exact date we need to have out team in by? Is it Jan 9th (when Aussie nationals start)?

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"