Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 16 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 12-08-12, 09:27
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
I agree with Pistolero about Thomas. Really what has he done in a classic that is so spectacular? He may have the potential but it's not like he has shown it already. This also applies for Stannard by the way..... Sorry I just can't forget the "Hayman/Stannard/Thomas" should be protected riders on a cobblestone race in a team with Flecha and Hagen (to a smaller extent). There are some unbelievable ideas in this forum from time to time
lol, Hayman must have 10 P-R finishes better than EBH's best.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 12-08-12, 09:32
Panda Claws's Avatar
Panda Claws Panda Claws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,999
Default

If both are 100% then Cancellara will 'beat Boonen' in RVV and Boonen will 'beat Cancellara' in PR. They will not necessarily win.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sceptic View Post
The best part is that Gerro will forever be haunted by the thought of what could have happened if he took a pull.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 12-08-12, 10:06
trevim's Avatar
trevim trevim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
This is confusing, because what pistrollero said was that thomas doesnt have any potential.
Now I'm confused too. Let's wait for April and see
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 12-08-12, 10:08
trevim's Avatar
trevim trevim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
lol, Hayman must have 10 P-R finishes better than EBH's best.
He also has never won a classic. EBH on the other hand has one at least. Still, I was refering to potential and if he sorts out his food problems, Hagen may be much better than Hayman also in Roubaix.
Hayman's best results in Roubaix are an 8th and a 10th place.

Last edited by trevim; 12-08-12 at 10:10.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12-08-12, 10:28
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
He also has never won a classic. EBH on the other hand has one at least. Still, I was refering to potential and if he sorts out his food problems, Hagen may be much better than Hayman also in Roubaix.
Hayman's best results in Roubaix are an 8th and a 10th place.
Yeh but you say that people were calling for Hayman to be a protected rider ahead of Hagen as though it is incorrect. People were actually saying that Hayman should not have been doing all the work in P-R (a race he has proven to be a reliable campaigner in) whilst EBH (who is yet to show anything in P-R) did none.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 12-08-12, 11:04
maltiv maltiv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
He also has never won a classic. EBH on the other hand has one at least. Still, I was refering to potential and if he sorts out his food problems, Hagen may be much better than Hayman also in Roubaix.
Hayman's best results in Roubaix are an 8th and a 10th place.
EBH shouldn't even do P-R imo, it doesn't suit him at all. He should do like Sagan and skip P-R to prepare for AGR instead. Unfortunately EBH has made P-R his main goal again though...
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 12-08-12, 16:06
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
This is confusing, because what pistrollero said was that thomas doesnt have any potential.
No I said he has never shown any potential for a race like Roubaix.

He only rode it once and he wasn't good at it, so how the hell do you see that as potential?

When I say "come back next year" I obviously mean come back later when he finally does something in a classic to deserve all the hype he's getting at this forum.

Because I can name a lot of younger cyclists with more potential than him in the classics. He's almost 27 years old already. At age 27 Boonen already won 4 Monuments, Gent-Wevelgem, the E3 Prijs Vlaanderen four times, a WC, the green jersey in the Tour and 6 stages.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-08-12 at 16:16.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 12-08-12, 16:08
maltiv maltiv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
lol, Hayman must have 10 P-R finishes better than EBH's best.
Well, yes of course, EBH has started P-R two times, one in which he was 21 years old and had to give his bike to Hincapie...
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 12-08-12, 16:19
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
No I said he has never shown any potential for a race like Roubaix.

He only rode it once and he wasn't good at it, so how the hell do you see that as potential?

When I say "come back next year" I obviously mean come back later when he finally does something in a classic to deserve all the hype he's getting at this forum.

Because I can name a lot of younger cyclists with more potential than him in the classics. He's almost 27 years old already. At age 27 Boonen already won 4 Monuments, Gent-Wevelgem, the E3 Prijs Vlaanderen four times, a WC, the green jersey in the Tour and 6 stages.
He punctured 3 times in the roubaix he did. And made it to the finish. Consider that in that very race your beloved boonen didnt even manage that ,before you say g has no roubaix potential.
__________________
The Hitch: 3rd place week 43 2014 cq game. Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 12-08-12, 16:24
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
He punctured 3 times in the roubaix he did. And made it to the finish. Consider that in that very race your beloved boonen didnt even manage that ,before you say g has no roubaix potential.
There's a reason why inexperienced people puncture so much in Roubaix.

If you're good you can avoid all the bad parts on the road, as Boonen has said. In 2011 he was obviously not in his best shape and guess what? He had more bad luck in that year alone than all the years before combined. If you're in bad shape you'll pay less attention to the road hence your chances of getting a puncture increase. Roger de Vlaeminck has said something among those lines as well.

From 2002-2010 and again in 2012 Boonen almost never punctured, crashed or had a mechanical.

And he was third in his very first Roubaix unlike Geraint Thomas who punctured 3 times lol. Roubaix is probably one of the only races in the world where you can avoid most of the punctures by experience.

And do you really think Boonen cares about making it to the finish or not when he already lost the race? He's not going to keep on riding just to finish 35th.

By the way, are you implying that everyone that can finish Roubaix has the potential to win it? If so: .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-08-12 at 16:29.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.