UCI Independent Commission on 'Lance-Gate' - Page 7 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-02-12, 06:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post

Hein and Pat have this all smoothed over.
They hope.

But there are Kimmage's/Fuller's cases, Puerto/Padua, and Johan & co still to come. Maybe Travis can remain cycling's superman for a little longer before retiring...

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-02-12, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Dave,

You are mistaking a circus for some kind of legitimate forum.

Sky's clean. Dominating the stage racing calendar for an entire season, 2 steps of the TdF podium and an Olympics show that was beyond belief happens all the time. Nothing to see there. Move along.

Personal consequences is the plan if a rider is so stupid as to break Omerta. Suddenly, that contract will just run out and it's back to the minor leagues.
Ach, I am such an idiot.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 12-02-12, 21:26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
It s concerning to me that the UCI appoints a commission to investigate it's own potential for corruption, no conflict of interest there. But then again, who else would appoint an investagatory board? IOC? One of the biggest problems of the sport commissions is they report to no-one. No wonder being the head of UCI is such a plum job.
It's pretty standard practice for an org to pick the people who audit it. Sounds pretty counter intuitive I know, but it's reality.
Old 12-02-12, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuash65 View Post
WTF do you know about TGT?

Unless you give us reason to believe otherwise I will presume she knows more about doping and bodies like the UCI than you or I ever will. She also has the intelligence to apply her knowledge efficiently to cycling and the integrity to make sure this counts.

I'm surprised at the anglo-centricity of the commission but its make-up and ToR are reasonable. Many people on here don't live in the real world where change is a process in which you cannot have everything suddenly idealised. I'll be interested to see the response of the impressive set of leading lights of Change Cycling Now.

Given the panel, it's worth considering that recent independent inquiries in the UK have not always produced what the government wanted. Re. Iraq, following the Hutton Inquiry we had the Butler Report which I read at the time Butler expected to finish Tony Blair. The problem was how the report was used and the crucial points that weren't subsequently debated. This is the stage where the forum might be able to play a role wrt to the UCI Commission.
That is probably why the gone down the Anglo route....

Not many independent enquires in Oz favour the government either...

I also fully agree with the rest - change of this magnitude won't happen overnight
Old 12-02-12, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
It's pretty standard practice for an org to pick the people who audit it. Sounds pretty counter intuitive I know, but it's reality.
But an auditor has strict and onerous obligations from legislation and codes of ethics to act independently apart from management and directors.

To be caught out not acting in the interest of shareholders and third parties could result in disbarment, practice dissolution and, the worst, imprisonment.

Did not auditors Arthur Andersen with 85,000 employees implode and dissolve the accounting partnership world wide over its non independent conduct in Enron in 2001?

Arthur Andersen partners/executives should have served jail time except for improper instructions to the jury by the judge.
Old 12-02-12, 22:12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodude View Post
But an auditor has strict and onerous obligations from legislation and codes of ethics to act independently apart from management and directors.

To be caught out not acting in the interest of shareholders and third parties could result in disbarment, practice dissolution and, the worst, imprisonment.

Did not auditors Arthur Andersen with 85,000 employees implode and dissolve the accounting partnership world wide over its non independent conduct in Enron in 2001?

Arthur Andersen partners/executives should have served jail time except for improper instructions to the jury by the judge.
that;s financial auditing, i'm talking more generally
Old 12-04-12, 13:54

Default First Communique from the UCI Independent Commission

UCI Independent Commission calls for evidence

"The UCI Independent commission set up to investigate issues and allegations arising out of the Reasoned Decision of the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has called for anyone with any evidence to make a submission before December 31"
Old 12-04-12, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyFlowers View Post
UCI Independent Commission calls for evidence

"The UCI Independent commission set up to investigate issues and allegations arising out of the Reasoned Decision of the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has called for anyone with any evidence to make a submission before December 31"
I note that the Independent Commission must have engaged the services of a silk, Guy Morpuss QC, to act as leading counsel for itself.

Also, a large and reputable firm of London lawyers, Macfarlanes, will be acting as an expensive post box and filter for communications for the Independent Commission.

Could not have UCI HQ being a communication depository. Fox in charge of the hen house?

The UCI are responsible for all these costs. Expect an extraordinary meeting of UCI Congress to be convened to approve a hefty slug on fees to fund this expensive operation.

Independent Commission are calling for submissions on evidence by the end of this month.
Old 12-08-12, 11:37

HEIN: Pat, we could be in deep s**t this time. We need to find out what evidence Kimmage has on us.

PAT: I agree, but how?! Wait, I know...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...tial-witnesses
Old 12-08-12, 12:03

I can think of two people who would be willing to lie in favour of Pinky and the Brain.

Last edited by DominicDecoco; 12-08-12 at 18:53.