Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-12, 00:45

Got bored with the back and forward....anyway; I went for Boonen but only just, I think they are pretty equally matched on the cobbled classics ( and that's we're talking about) each has had their day. Now if we could get a year where both were healthy and the weather played it's spring games, wet...cold...nasty then we'd see the true champion between them, the Flahute! I think Boonen would take it

www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
Old 12-09-12, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
boonen is definitely not better in positioning himself. cancellara is probably the best placer and steerer in the entire peloton, save perhaps sagan
Yeah, I can still vividly recall Cancellara's demonstration of his bike handling during the Olympic road race. Wasn't the best "steerer" around that corner, that's for sure.
Old 12-09-12, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrocket View Post
Yeah, I can still vividly recall Cancellara's demonstration of his bike handling during the Olympic road race. Wasn't the best "steerer" around that corner, that's for sure.
Yeah, Cancellara is a terrible bike handler. That's why he was almost dropping Nibali (one of the best descender's in the peloton) on the descent of the poggio in MSR this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9UpH7OCefM
Old 12-09-12, 09:36

silverrocket just got owned
Old 12-09-12, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Yeah, Cancellara is a terrible bike handler. That's why he was almost dropping Nibali (one of the best descender's in the peloton) on the descent of the poggio in MSR this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9UpH7OCefM
Nibali is one of the best descenders for a lightweight. He wouldn't be able to follow Hushovd on a descent. I wouldn't call him the best positioner or steerer even if he's good at it.

If he really was the best he wouldn't have crashed so awkwardly during the Olympics. Riding without your hands on the handlebars in the feed-zone of the Ronde this year wasn't very smart either. Though I do not think he's bad at steering or positioning at all, but let's look at the full picture before you call him the best at something.

He was also riding in a lost position at the Koppenberg in 2009 before his chain snapped while Boonen was riding at the front.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-09-12 at 11:33.
Old 12-09-12, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Nibali is one of the best descenders for a lightweight. He wouldn't be able to follow Hushovd on a descent. I wouldn't call him the best positioner or steerer even if he's good at it.

If he really was the best he wouldn't have crashed so awkwardly during the Olympics. Riding without your hands on the handlebars in the feed-zone of the Ronde this year wasn't very smart either. Though I do not think he's bad at steering or positioning at all, but let's look at the full picture before you call him the best at something.

He was also riding in a lost position at the Koppenberg in 2009 before his chain snapped while Boonen was riding at the front.
Silverrocket said bike handler though, and he has shown countless times he is a excellent bike handler. I don't think his crash at the Olympics automatically means he's not a good bike handler or steerer. Everyone crashes, no matter how good a bike handler or steerer the rider is. I don't know if I would call him the outright best of the best, but he's definitely up there with the top bike handlers.

And wasn't his crash at RVV because someone dropped a bottle? I don't remember hearing anything about him having his hands off the bars.
Old 12-09-12, 14:10

reading all of this...damn how much i want het volk to come!
and of course a muddy roubaix!!

Vino 4ever

"Primo Fausto Coppi. In attesa degli altri corridori, trasmettiamo musica da ballo".

"Ecco che scatta Pantani! Scatto di Pantani!!!

"-Che grinta che ha Danilo!
-E' un grande veramente..."
Old 12-09-12, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post

Saying that cancellara is not a great bike handler because he had a crash is like sayonv that cav isnt a great sprintee because he lost a sprint.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-09-12, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Silverrocket said bike handler though, and he has shown countless times he is a excellent bike handler. I don't think his crash at the Olympics automatically means he's not a good bike handler or steerer. Everyone crashes, no matter how good a bike handler or steerer the rider is. I don't know if I would call him the outright best of the best, but he's definitely up there with the top bike handlers.

And wasn't his crash at RVV because someone dropped a bottle? I don't remember hearing anything about him having his hands off the bars.
I've been at the feed-zone of a classic a couple of times, there's lot's of bottles on the ground. If you ride over them they normally "pop" open. But some are sturdier, but still shouldn't be a problem when you ride over it with your hands on the handlebar. Cancellara was holding a bag of supplies when he crashed. He should've let a domestique do that for him.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-09-12, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriuscat View Post
Got bored with the back and forward....anyway; I went for Boonen but only just, I think they are pretty equally matched on the cobbled classics ( and that's we're talking about) each has had their day.

What we're talking about is who is the better on the cobbles, which is not the same as who is the best in the cobbled classics.

You don't need to be technically the best on the cobbles to win Paris-Roubaix.