Thumb Avulsion Fraction - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 12-09-12, 20:58

Default Thumb Avulsion Fraction

Hi All,

I suffered a skier's thumb injury last Saturday preriding a CX course. The fracture was an avlusion fracture of the ulnar collateral ligament that's been treated non-operatively with a hard cast.

Two questions:

1) Is it ok to ride the trainer? I feel no pain on occasional, minimal pressure at the injury site when I do so.
2) Is a splint preferrable to a cast? I've seen clinical, peer-reviewed data suggesting there's no statistical difference in outcome between splinting and casting, but wanted input from anyone who knows about this stuff.

Thanks,
Revere
Old 12-10-12, 04:00

Keep the cast on. If the joint/fracture don't heal properly, you will end up with an unstable thumb joint. The cast just does a better job all around of not just immobilizing the joint, but also protecting it. As far as riding the trainer, just keep it to seated riding and don't put too much pressure on the broken hand.
Old 12-10-12, 15:29

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.