UK Anti-Doping investigating Linda McCartney Foods - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-10-12, 08:54

Default UK Anti-Doping investigating Linda McCartney Foods

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/...cle3625953.ece

Quote:
Eleven years after it went out of business, an investigation has been launched into doping practices at the professional British cycling team, Linda McCartney Foods.

The investigation is being carried out by UK Anti-Doping, the publicly funded body that polices the use of drugs in sport in this country. The investigation was triggered by a tip-off from the man who founded the team.
Old 12-10-12, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by neineinei View Post
Hardly a surprise, a would be pro-team in the late 1990's, can't have many of them not taking something.
Might implicate Sean Yates who was DS there for a bit. I think there was talk of Wiggins joining the team but I think they folded before he could?
I couldn't read the article as it Times International, but I did read the book "Team on the Run" by John Deering who was their PA......brilliant account of the times. Portrays the guy who set them up as a complete con-man who was heading to jail.
That doesn't mean he's not telling the truth now though.
Old 12-10-12, 09:11

Wasn't the guy who founded the team dodgy (in a non-doping sense) anyway? How else did the team go bust?

They hired Yates and Stephens lol.
Old 12-10-12, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by neineinei View Post
"UK Anti-Doping’s pursuit of the case is driven partly to establish whether there are any questionable links between the Linda McCartney Foods team and the professional units at the pinnacle of British cycling today."

The USPS investigation may have opened the floodgates for investigating older cases.

Cycling will be doing truth and reconciliation the hard way if this keeps up.
Old 12-10-12, 09:13

Wiggins joined the team just as they folded.

Says triggered by a tip off from team founder - Julian Clarke? Speculation on BikeRadar that it may be Matt DiCanio
Old 12-10-12, 09:22

Cycling Archives has Wiggins listed for the team in 2001 but they folded already February 24.

Here is procycling.no's take on the story:

- Britisk lag etterforskes for doping (Norwegian)

Maximilian Sciandri and Sean Yates gets mentioned. They are not mentioning Norwegian rider Bjørnar Vestøl, but he was cycling for the team in 2000
Old 12-10-12, 09:47

Julian Clarke founded the team, was a half decent cat 1 racer.

There is the well known story about Pascal Richard at the Giro plus they hired Sciandri and Yates, Stephens (Neil).

Looking closely it is very much like the sky blueprint as the team worked closely with a national federation also.

Can. Of. Worms.
Old 12-10-12, 09:58

David McKenzie, aussie Armstrong idolator and 2000 Giro long-breakaway stage winner, also with team.

Joining Matt White and Stephen Hodge with meas culpa?
Old 12-10-12, 11:49

procycling.no has interviewed Bjørnar Vestøl;

«De valgte ut meg, og jeg tok ikke noe»

They quote Matt DeCanio, (the quote is from The Times):

"You didn't lose your job if you didn't want to dope. Doping was not pushed on you, and they never distributed any dope. The team wanted to sign riders who doped by themselves and came prepared to the races. The team knew that I was clean. So they didn't pick me for the Giro team, but they knew which riders who used doping."

Vestøl was picked for the 2000 Giro team, and won Ronde van Noord-Holland that spring, but claims he never saw any doping on the team.
Old 12-10-12, 12:28
Banned

Julian Clarke has a bad record on certain fronts, but there's no real reason to doubt this story; it all rings pretty true - even down to the fact that the accusations are not at the 'worst' end of the scale - no team program, blind eye turned, some doped, a few didn't. Entirely plausible, and apparently eye witnesses now, very believable. Hard to imagine any teams didn't do at least this in that era.

If you're going to lie, you'll lie bigger than this, if you see what I mean...

No surprise at all to see Yates involved, or Sciandri for that matter, I suppose. Are there links to other key current management figures beyond Yates? Obviously Wiggins was there for a short time, didn't he win a race in their colours?

Irish Former World Junior champ was there too, Scanlon.