Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 192 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-10-12, 18:07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
if wiggins didn't have personal wind cutter working for himself he would have lost significant time on la toussuire and maybe even on the peyresourde. don't underestimate the effect to drag on shallow climbs
Don't underestimate the fact that on shallow 4-5% sections time trialist Wiggins pushes such a big gear than Nibali even is not able to pedal properly. I think both Wiggins and Froome had something in tank on La Toussuire and they would necessarily have shown this if Nibali was a direct threat for them which was not so. La Toussuire was just cat and mouse where cat distinctly realized its advantage.
Old 12-10-12, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
For that to happen, Nibali will have to improve his TT and apart from Rogers and Froome missing, Sky will still field a strong team of climbers. I just think if Nibali gains time in the mountains it will have to be big time or he will have to hope that Wiggins does not ride the TTs as well as he did in this year's Tour. Should be interesting and Ryder and Rodriguez have to be thrown into the mix as well. Should be a good contest.
Nibali in my eyes has shown a steady progression in performance over the years with the one blip being his Vuelta performance of 2011. I'm hoping his learning curve (and performance) is still heading upwards. Wiggins on the other hand has just reached his ultimate goal after 2 years of supreme sacrifice. Will he still have the same motivation and willingness to commit to that level of training and prep with his goal accomplished? He's saying that his new goal is to win the other 2 grand tours to cement his place in cycling history as one of the greats.

My point is with the demands upon his time that his recent success will bring I personally don't think we'll see the same rider that tore through virtually every stage race he entered last year. This while Nibali could be still on that upward curve of a maturing grand tour contender.
Old 12-10-12, 19:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
I agree, but it appears J-Rod won't start in the Giro '13.
Unless the reason for the team not getting into WT is something clinic related and involves Rodriguez, Katusha should easily get one of the wildcards for the Giro.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-10-12, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Unless the reason for the team not getting into WT is something clinic related and involves Rodriguez, Katusha should easily get one of the wildcards for the Giro.
My comment was before knowing Katusha didn't get WT status. Now I think J-Rod will go to to Giro.
Old 12-10-12, 21:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
My comment was before knowing Katusha didn't get WT status. Now I think J-Rod will go to to Giro.
Ah, I see. My mistake then.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-13-12, 08:34

Josť Been @TourDeJose 9s
Wiggins just told BBC he will lead Team SKY in TDF2013. Now I am confused. (Tip @robertcunliffe). Sort it out, please

I so hope he will. The former champ needs to be there.
Old 12-13-12, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimber View Post
Josť Been @TourDeJose 9s
Wiggins just told BBC he will lead Team SKY in TDF2013. Now I am confused. (Tip @robertcunliffe). Sort it out, please

I so hope he will. The former champ needs to be there.
Nooo,he is to much cobarde.Or...he thinks that Contador is going to Giro
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 12-13-12, 10:39

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_2290816.html Very interesting..
Old 12-13-12, 10:47

Default I should think so too

Glad to hear it. There's no shame in not winning the Tour De France in 2013. It would be a bit of a shame if he didn't turn up though.
Who cares if Froome thinks Wiggins should help him win. It's supposed to be a sport.
Good on you Wiggins.
Old 12-13-12, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkp5097 View Post
Who cares if Froome thinks Wiggins should help him win. It's supposed to be a sport.
Yes, a team sport.