Euskaltel team in trouble ! - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-10-12, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
what's the problem? one of my best friends works there . . . it's one of the big four so it certainly has credibility
yeah, they certainly have credibility when it comes to faking books.
Old 12-10-12, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Argos and Saxo fighting for a WT license, and EE not able to pay his riders.
what? are you even reading what is said?
Old 12-10-12, 14:01

Quote:
what's the problem? one of my best friends works there . . . it's one of the big four so it certainly has credibility
Ummmm.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2393251/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...est-claim.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle5913025/
Old 12-10-12, 14:09

Quote:
like the biggest banks have credibility? whatever organisation that is big and revolves around money. it's not to trust. I don't care if your friend works there, most of these are part of the system and believe they are doing well.
Old 12-10-12, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
So OP's post was wrong about wage issues?Btw, I really like watching Euskaltel as most of their riders try to do something all the time (Like 5 times more than other teams) even though it is pretty much for nothing most of the time
they just try in mountain stages, so actually it looks very brave but I think they attack less then many other small teams who attack on the flat and hilly stages
Old 12-10-12, 15:37

It's a shame that a team like Euskaltel, with all its GT and monuments winners, is going through such hard times.
Old 12-11-12, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
So OP's post was wrong about wage issues?Btw, I really like watching Euskaltel as most of their riders try to do something all the time (Like 5 times more than other teams) even though it is pretty much for nothing most of the time
Yes (and the cyclingnews article as well, for that matter).

Right now the Fundacion provides everything from wages to equipment to the pro team, but also Naturgas Energia, some MTB stuff and what have you.

Effective beginning of next year, the main sponsor of the pro team, Euskaltel will split from the Fundacion and take over the pro team and it structure to create a separate entity. Thus, from next year onwards, the Fundacion will still be managing a lot of Basque cycling-relating activities, but will not have anything to do with Euskaltel anymore.

However, local government has been decreasing sponsorship for years, and with Euskaltel, the commercial sponsor leaving, they have lots of financial troubles. Euskaltel used to fill up most of the gaps in the last couple of years, will now increase sponsorship quite substantially, but as the team is now split from the Fundacion, the latter is left with nothing.

Except a fleet of vehicles and buses, which are of not much use to them. Euskaltel have a team, but no equipment, so in a perfect world they were gonna take over those things and pay for them. However, the world is not perfect and Euskaltel doesn't want to pay a lot (or rather Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano, the manager of the pro team) and is now turning towards equipment from ONCE, his old team, probably just as negotiation tactic.

Madariaga, the manager of the Fundacion, has been using this tactic for a few years now, every couple of weeks saying Euskaltel will not exist next year anymore. He's now saying the same about the Fundacion. Thing is, the Fundacion has to pay the wages for November and December of all guys moving over to Euskaltel in January. It's a bit pointless for them as the season is over and they have barely any money left, so I think Madariaga is just playing tough guy and hopes Euskaltel, the sponsor, will pour in some extra money to get this over with, so Madariaga is left with a bit more cash.

All in all, a classic power struggle, nothing to do with an actual lack of finances on the Worldtour team side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Apologies for not reading your post your excellency, although I appreciate your condescendency.
I just hate reading strong claims based on false information. It can start wars, you know

Last edited by Arnout; 12-11-12 at 00:17.
Old 12-12-12, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
Wasn't only hiring Basque riders against EU employment law?
Can't be, if Athletic Bilbao are allowed to get away with it. Though admittedly Athletic have slowed things down a little, you no longer have to be an ethnic Basque, only born in the Basque Country.