No Katusha - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-11-12, 00:30

As much as I currently despise the UCI they must have some valid reason for not including the team of the current WT winner. After my initial outraged reaction I've cooled off and await to hear their reasoning. To say they handled it badly would be an understatement though.

If it is clinic related they wouldn't have referred them for a conti license right? So more likely administrative or financial?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 12-11-12, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
As much as I currently despise the UCI they must have some valid reason for not including the team of the current WT winner. After my initial outraged reaction I've cooled off and await to hear their reasoning. To say they handled it badly would be an understatement though.

If it is clinic related they wouldn't have referred them for a conti license right? So more likely administrative or financial?
If it was administrative or financial, they could have granted a temp license like they did with Lampre a few years ago. I think it was for two months, enough time to allow Lampre to get their books in order.

I think it was either Saronni or Walsh writing about Saronni that said that Lawyers and Accountants are only necessary to keep your mistress off the books. Or something to that effect.
Old 12-11-12, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
If it was administrative or financial, they could have granted a temp license like they did with Lampre a few years ago. I think it was for two months, enough time to allow Lampre to get their books in order.
Operative word there is 'could'.......

This is the UCI, they 'could' do just about anything; they are whack jobs LOL!

But clinic makes no sense or why?
"The request from the team Katusha for registration in first division has been rejected. In accordance with UCI regulations, this team’s application has been forwarded to the UCI administration, so that the latter may assess the possibility of registering this team as a UCI Professional Continental Team."

Surely clinic issues would be the same at conti level, at least one would think so!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 12-11-12, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Why was Contador nervous then?
Even if Saxo was likely to get an invitation, it wasn't 100% sure like it is when you're a WT team.
Old 12-11-12, 01:37

The wind has changed. Even at UCI. Any whiff of UCI "supporting" doping is no longer tenable. They have to be seen to be doing the right thing. Hence Argos in. Saxo/Contador is just too big a force to leave out, so Katusha gets the chop. And it also sends a strong signal to Comrade Makarov to back off on leadership challenges. But this move has really forced the Makarov-McQuaid battle out in the open. Expect fireworks as Russia is not going to take this lying down. But first blood for Pat on his new found mission to be seen to be clean.

This thread belongs in The Clinic.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-11-12, 02:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
The wind has changed. Even at UCI. Any whiff of UCI "supporting" doping is no longer tenable. They have to be seen to be doing the right thing. Hence Argos in. Saxo/Contador is just too big a force to leave out, so Katusha gets the chop. And it also sends a strong signal to Comrade Makarov to back off on leadership challenges. But this move has really forced the Makarov-McQuaid battle out in the open. Expect fireworks as Russia is not going to take this lying down. But first blood for Pat on his new found mission to be seen to be clean.

This thread belongs in The Clinic.
In the real world, we don't know the reason yet, nor do we know which of the teams sent for examination was the next most likely to get the chop. It could just as likely have been Lotto, FDJ or RSNT.

Being pure speculation, perhaps it's your post that belongs in the clinc along with outdated stereo types like "comrade" and team/rider insinuations, rather than the thread?
Old 12-11-12, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Baroudeur View Post
In the real world, we don't know the reason yet

Being pure speculation, perhaps it's your post that belongs in the clinc along with outdated stereo types like "comrade" and team/rider insinuations, rather than the thread?
In the real world you can believe what you like

There was no (recent Katusha specific) thread I could see in The Clinic, but you are right, maybe time to start one, or maybe no longer required with the team now relegated.

The comrade jest refers to the article on cyclismas on 5 Dec which you may not have seen. Not sure what "insinuations" I made that you are keen to dismiss, maybe Ekimov?

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-11-12, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
In the real world you can believe what you like

There was no (recent Katusha specific) thread I could see in The Clinic, but you are right, maybe time to start one, or maybe no longer required with the team now relegated.

The comrade jest refers to the article on cyclismas on 5 Dec which you may not have seen. Not sure what "insinuations" I made that you are keen to dismiss, maybe Ekimov?
I haven't actualy read cyclismas since they abandoned pure satire, and let the margins and humour blur with opinion and quasi-factual pieces.

I will take a look though, good satire is hard to find.
Old 12-11-12, 03:01

Freire - celebrating to have made the right decision

Menchov - Screwed over once again. Don't know how many grand tour winners have had to take the kind of political abuse he has.

Purito - Wishing he had gone elsewhere.

Moreno - ditto
Old 12-11-12, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerider View Post
Freire - celebrating to have made the right decision

Menchov - Screwed over once again. Don't know how many grand tour winners have had to take the kind of political abuse he has.

Purito - Wishing he had gone elsewhere.

Moreno - ditto
vuelta, cataluna, pais vasco, spanish races, tirreno, giro
he has races to shine, don't worry