How do you keep your feet warm in winter? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 11-19-12, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Rich, you know I'm from your neck of the woods, most people here have no idea about the cold in MN. I used neoprene booties for years until I got proper winter boots. The problem with Neoprene is that it doesn't breathe, so once you get to a certain temp the condensation from your feet sweating starts to freeze, then it's quickly downhill. I used to really push it too, WBL to Stillwater and back,3 hours max for me in the neoprene. I can be out all day in sub-freezing temps with the Lake boots and be totally fine.
That explains the cold feet with neoprene. It always puzzled me. And damn if frozen toes on a ride doesn't suck.

Do you wear summer cycling socks with the boots or something warmer?

It does sound like I need a pair of boots. Anything that limits my time on my trainer is money well spent.
Old 11-20-12, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
That explains the cold feet with neoprene. It always puzzled me. And damn if frozen toes on a ride doesn't suck.

Do you wear summer cycling socks with the boots or something warmer?

It does sound like I need a pair of boots. Anything that limits my time on my trainer is money well spent.
Rich, it's winter, summer socks, really? C'mon dude, work with me here! Use Smartwool socks, light or mid-weight in combo with a nice pair of winter boots and you'll be cursing yourself for not doing this years ago.

I used rollers in the off season for many years until I got the proper gear to ride outside in the cold. Riding a bike inside on a trainer or rollers is quite possibly the most boring thing you can subject a human to, don't know why anyone in their right mind would do that with all the fantastic gear available now.
Old 11-26-12, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Rich, it's winter, summer socks, really? C'mon dude, work with me here! Use Smartwool socks, light or mid-weight in combo with a nice pair of winter boots and you'll be cursing yourself for not doing this years ago.

I used rollers in the off season for many years until I got the proper gear to ride outside in the cold. Riding a bike inside on a trainer or rollers is quite possibly the most boring thing you can subject a human to, don't know why anyone in their right mind would do that with all the fantastic gear available now.
Picked up some Lakes today (and wool socks) and rode at 28f. Feet were perfect.

See, I do listen.
Old 11-26-12, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
Picked up some Lakes today (and wool socks) and rode at 28f. Feet were perfect.

See, I do listen.
Ha-ha! Nice!!! Enjoy adding another full season of cycling to your life. Don't forget to rest..
Old 11-26-12, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
Sounds dumb, but I can't do it yet.

Ride today at 3 degrees celsius, windchill only -2 to -4 degrees at my riding speed, including descending. Feet again cold!

What I use:
- quite heavy duty neoprene winter booties/shoe covers
- removed the insole of shoes to give feet more room (roomier is warmer)
- wool socks
- covered by some sort of thin poly wind-resistant booties inside the shoe,
- and even more: on top of that, thin aero shoe covers, to keep even more air/wind out below the neoprene booties.

So I have four layers (though only the socks are thick) and feet are still cold! When I take the shoes off at the end of the ride, the front inside of the shoe inside is physically cold to the touch probably also from dampness of sweat. There's no doubt about that: the front of the shoe is cold. Toes going white. Aargh!

Thinking now of lining the toe section of shoe with tinfoil for reflective heat.

Any ideas? I want to ride till the snow arrives in Canada, mid-December where I am.

If you have products in mind, please include the weblinks. Much appreciated! (I'm thinking: can you get really thin wool socks also like gloves, covering individual toes you can wear inside regular wool socks. Bizarre, but maybe this will work, etc.)

Toes warming up
I'm in Canada and I ride throughout the winter.

I wear wool socks, and booties, usually enough. If it is cold enough, then I put toe warmers in my shoes. I buy them by the box at WalMart. Crack them abuot 20 minutes before you plan to leave, then put them in your shoes, between the shoe and sock, they last about 5 hours.

I rode 2 hours today at 0* and bright sun. It was glorious.
Old 11-26-12, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Isn't Lake out of business? What is the best that is available?

My usual rule is that if it is below 35F (2C) I do something other than riding.
No they are not, their NA distributor went out of business.

The new NA distributor is Stage Race,

stageracedistribution@gmail.com

I actually ordered a pair of MX331's the other day.
They are just trying to get back into the distro stream again as far as I know.
Old 12-11-12, 04:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I have a pair of Northwave boots...they work just fine til the snow gets here in Vermont...no problems riding even abit below freezing point...not crazy money either...if you should get these I would advise going a size larger than you usually take...I got mine in proper size and abit too tight ect...

http://www.probikekit.com/us/northwa...FYKK4AodH2cATA
I suggest getting the Artic model with a bit more insulation. I picked up a pair a couple years ago and was amazed how warm and dry my feet stayed during 2+ hour long rides during the Wisconsin winters.

http://www.probikekit.com/us/clothin...ing-boots.html
Old 01-03-13, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
I wonder if individual physiology plays a role in this. I've ridden in extreme cold with a similar or lesser setup than the OP described.Maybe you just have cold feet, a circulation issue or something.I thought perhaps your feet were bound too tightly, but you addressed the roomier = warmer issue. Did removing the insole leave cleat holes against your sock, or a hard plastic/carbon shoe surface that would get really cold? Maybe the wind barrier inside the shoe is trapping sweat against the foot and that is making your feet cold. You may have to resort to the dreaded hot shot. Just lobbing some ideas out there, hope you figure it out because cold feet SUCK.
my thoughts exactly, since I did have issues with cold feet years ago & nowadays I wear regular booties.

to me-the roomier shoe equals warmer theory is what is causing your cold feet- I did experience that in the past with a pair of shoes I had & the problem went away when I wore an extra pair of socks to make it tight-because the air & the sweat confined inside at low temperatures creates a condensation effect at the contact with your feet-so the water entrapped is the real enemy in this case. Apart from that-I also found a great deal of help to get B-3 vitamin supplementation to raise your cold temperature tolerance.

Last edited by hfer07; 01-03-13 at 20:53.
Old 01-04-13, 03:15

Tight shoes also restricts circulation, which you need to get the warm blood to the extremities, which is why I avoid thicker socks in the winter. I guess if I were more serious about winter riding I'd get a second pair of shoes a half-size larger, and possibly use a thicker insole. With thin wool socks and booties (Pearl Izumi Cyclones, I think), I'm good to just above freezing. Colder than that, I take the bus and use the gym.

I like SmartWool socks, and I just tried a nice pair of DeFeet Wooleators today. Very nice. I've also had good luck with a pair of synthetic Descent winter socks that I pulled out of the clearance bin.
Old 01-21-13, 22:03

"My ‘watershed’ ride in the Gabba came on a day of near perfect conditions – a low cloud blocked most of the daylight, and emitted constant drizzle that turned to rain through the course of this 90 minute ride. The temps hovered between 10-14C degrees and the ride included a climb to 400 meters above sea level, and a 2km descent at speeds around 55-60 kph – so lots of opportunity to test heat management, wind chill, and everything in between.

I prefer to be on the warm side on my rides, so I’d layered up with the Iride Base t-shirt, covered by a Castelli breathable lightly fleeced longsleeve jersey, with the Gabba longsleeve on top. Down below I wore the Polare bibtights, and the Diluvio16 neoprene shoe covers on my feet."

See above quote from Pez Cyling. If I wore that much kit in 10-14 degrees (celsius), I'd be a dehydrated puddle of sweat after 2km. I wore less than that on my commute this morning in -2 degrees of freezing fog.