Are you afraid? - Page 21 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-28-12, 07:11

Time for an update as I'm no longer in London, but Sydney.
I had more near misses and incidents in the first two weeks on the road than the past 4 years in London. F*ckin' mental attitude of drivers in Australia.

Very poor roads too - the lanes are just too narrow. The SUV style minin 4wds barely fit in a lane ffs...

Haven't been knocked off yet, but drivers have no qualms in toying with your life thinking that they're being smart or that you shouldn't be there.
Yesterday's incident, approaching a round-about and some idiot comes up behind me and blasts me with his horn. Then proceeds to try and push his way past and through the round about forcing me off the road... senseless.

The sooner I can move out of this sh*t-truck city the happier and safer I'll be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
So maybe people here who have been hit by cars or had a very close call can list out what they were wearing to start some statistics on the matter of bike riding clothes and car's hitting them. I know its ad-hoc but at least its a start.
i'll be your huckleberry...
flouro yellow cannondale vest, white helmet, grey mtb shorts and silver/white road shoes.
Bike had yellow (retina retentive) bartape and the yellow/black rubino pro tyres.
Old 11-28-12, 20:32

Where were you riding? The inner suburbs are okay but outer Western/Southern suburbs are horrible- people throwing beer bottles and stuff. The Northern suburbs are pretty good to ride around since people in general are nicer there.

If you have any problems regarding cycling infrastructure in NSW use this http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/cg...orthazard.form
IIRC they have to address the concern within 24 hours or be liable if an accident occurs due to that concern.

Motorists in the outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne are horrible people. Impatient and with an inflated sense of self and their time. Really how much does a cyclist inconvenience them? Like 10 seconds at the max.

Also at roundabouts you can turn right from the furthermost left lane- I have never done it though since I thought it might confuse motorists.

Last edited by Sanitiser; 11-28-12 at 20:35.
Old 11-29-12, 06:19

The thing that scares me the most lately is cell phone use. I would guess that 25% of drivers that I see are on the phone, quite often they are texting. Whatever precautions I take (clothing, lights, etc.) nothing is adequate protection against these potential killers. Anyone caught texting while driving should be put in jail immediately.
Old 11-29-12, 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitiser View Post
Where were you riding? The inner suburbs are okay but outer Western/Southern suburbs are horrible- people throwing beer bottles and stuff. The Northern suburbs are pretty good to ride around since people in general are nicer there.

If you have any problems regarding cycling infrastructure in NSW use this http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/cg...orthazard.form
IIRC they have to address the concern within 24 hours or be liable if an accident occurs due to that concern.

Motorists in the outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne are horrible people. Impatient and with an inflated sense of self and their time. Really how much does a cyclist inconvenience them? Like 10 seconds at the max.

Also at roundabouts you can turn right from the furthermost left lane- I have never done it though since I thought it might confuse motorists.
I was on the road that goes past the convention centre riding towards pyrmont...
Old 12-07-12, 12:16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ritains_Roads/

But there was a problem: it wouldn't take sh^t from anyone.
Old 12-07-12, 16:42

Putting the OP's views in perspective here in Boston, MA:

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/12...znM/story.html

Quote:
Weigl was the fifth bicyclist killed in a crash in Boston this year.
I'm just going to say that I feel rather "safer" riding in the suburbs than in the city-although there are fatal incidents happening in what we here believed to be "bike friendly towns"-I have had scary experiences in countryside-but nothing to the level of paranoia that I experience when I go to the City.

the only suggestion that I have to the OP is either to find a "safer" pathway where you can feel comfortable commuting or do your cycling over the weekends elsewhere-but NEVER allow this sort of inflicted fear to overtake your joy for cycling
Old 12-09-12, 12:29

More cyclists out this weekend in their all black gear. Hope they make it home safe. The guy riding on the major dual carriageway was in a hi-viz jacket...I guarantee he has made it home safe.
Old 12-11-12, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
The guy riding on the major dual carriageway was in a hi-viz jacket...I guarantee he has made it home safe.
Hi-viz doesn't make you invulnerable. Saying obviously idiotic stuff like that doesn't help your cause, I think.
Old 12-11-12, 15:44

Hi-vi jackets are extremely dangerous. Wearing them makes people think they don't need lights. A tiny little light on both sides makes you way more visible in the dark than all hi-vi jackets combined.
Old 12-11-12, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapjes View Post
Hi-viz doesn't make you invulnerable. Saying obviously idiotic stuff like that doesn't help your cause, I think.
As a driver I am merely pointing out the fact that cyclists in hi-viz jackets are extremely visible. I dont know why you guys are so incensed by this.

Its only for winter - cant you bear to leave your cool kit behind and look slightly knobbish in the wintertime ?

I am talking about daytime riding - not a at night....then the rider should have both lights and hi-viz.