Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012) - Page 260 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-11-12, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleajactaest View Post
Shouldn't they also have to show damages? USPS wanted publicity, they got it in spades... Any they continue to get it. I think Lance should send them a bill..

They procured the money to run the team by fraudulent means. All this publicity talk is a rabbit trail that avoids the real issue. We aren't talking about failure of consideration or anything of the like. We are talking about fraud in the inducement based on representations made by Armstrong and Bruyneel.

Last edited by red_flanders; 12-11-12 at 15:20.
Old 12-11-12, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post

Newfoundland is great. Cold for me but I can manage.

This is interesting developments in a slow moving process. Landis was the one guy that Armstrong should have left alone.
That would be "these are interesting developments".

I don't think living with Newfies qualifies as being from a country where English isn't the main language.

By the way, did you have to leave your six-shooters at the border? Being from Houston and all.

More on the topic, it is quite amazing just how low Lancey-poo has fallen, and it seems to be far from over. When the federal case was dropped (despite RR's optimism at the time) I prepared myself for the possibility that the bully would win. Events have proven otherwise. Yay!

Last edited by frenchfry; 12-11-12 at 13:15.
Old 12-11-12, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleajactaest View Post
Shouldn't they also have to show damages? USPS wanted publicity, they got it in spades... Any they continue to get it. I think Lance should send them a bill..
Yup, their brand is forever associated with bags of blood and organized cheating
Old 12-11-12, 13:33

so who's gonna pay damages. just armstrong? all tailwind owners?
is UCI also a target?
Old 12-11-12, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
Yup, their brand is forever associated with bags of blood and organized cheating
In hindsight, the better title sponsor for the team would have been the Red Cross.
Old 12-11-12, 13:42

Default Taking the Fifth

So Armstrong took the Fifth when subpoenaed to produce documents and give testimony. Of course he tried to keep it t all under seal. But, the truth finds it's way to the light. This message s going to increase the pressure on the DoJ to explain why the criminal case against Armstrong was dropped. The political gamesmanship of Armstrong's team will soon be completely out in the open.

The best is yet to come.
Old 12-11-12, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimacoppi49 View Post
So Armstrong took the Fifth when subpoenaed to produce documents and give testimony. Of course he tried to keep it t all under seal. But, the truth finds it's way to the light. This message s going to increase the pressure on the DoJ to explain why the criminal case against Armstrong was dropped. The political gamesmanship of Armstrong's team will soon be completely out in the open.

The best is yet to come.
Just speaks to the hubris and arrogance of Armstrong, which I find staggering. To think that he believed he could have so many people in his back pocket and without any ramifications is almost unbelievable. Did he really think he was beyond reproach...in anything?

I wonder if, in the end, was it worth it for Armstrong? The dizzying heights to which he may have soared may yet be payed back twofold in the depths which he will mine to reach rock bottom.
Old 12-11-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
Just speaks to the hubris and arrogance of Armstrong, which I find staggering. To think that he believed he could have so many people in his back pocket and without any ramifications is almost unbelievable. Did he really think he was beyond reproach...in anything?

I wonder if, in the end, was it worth it for Armstrong? The dizzying heights to which he may have soared may yet be payed back twofold in the depths which he will mine to reach rock bottom.

And yet, if LA stays retired after the 2005 TdF none of this comes to light... he gets away with everything.

The most expensive comeback in the history of sport.
Old 12-11-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginagold View Post
USPS wouldn't have re upped its sponsorship if it had known the terms of the contract had been violated and it was at risk of global brand embarrassment every day. And USPS didn't gain any market share in the US from the sponsorship. And USPS didn't gain any friends in Europe during the sponsorship as knowledge of the probable doping was regularly in the news, books, etc. published in Europe. And if USPS served indirectly to facilitate an international distribution scheme....

So no, some cobbled together listing of "media impressions" assigned a value by team managment trying to justify their existence doesn't render contractual provisions unenforceable.

Nice try though.
Glad you did not quote my post as what you are considering a "nice try". Where I once lived they would say ...."that dog Wont Hunt".

Anyhow I was not trying to come up with something here just adding to the fun conversation here.

But when this does become a actual issue in court (notice I said when not if) I would be willing to bet money that one of the arguments used will be just what you referred to as "media impressions". Not that it takes a genius to lock onto that anyhow.

Even the criminal Lance will not be the only player in that court. In my opinion he will be there along with his co-owners of "TailSPIN Sports". That will be fun to watch. The rich guys having different representation each and everyone trying to keep "their" guy out of as much as possible. Or am I wrong...will they unify the front?
Old 12-11-12, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
That would be "these are interesting developments".

I don't think living with Newfies qualifies as being from a country where English isn't the main language.

By the way, did you have to leave your six-shooters at the border? Being from Houston and all.

More on the topic, it is quite amazing just how low Lancey-poo has fallen, and it seems to be far from over. When the federal case was dropped (despite RR's optimism at the time) I prepared myself for the possibility that the bully would win. Events have proven otherwise. Yay!
Hey friend,,,,, these are some "confusing times". I moved up here for the End of the world on the 21st. No weapons as the Canadian authorities do not take the issue quite the same as TEXAS.
Well the English here has some challenges much like the southerners from where I'm from. Went to Quebec city and thought I might have heard some foreign language but did not know what it was.

I come to the conclusion a while back....never underestimate a "surftel"