New Innovative, Cool, Crazy, or jsut plain Dumb Cycling Equipment (Only) - Page 10 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 06-25-12, 22:19

what is old is new again. too funny and i really doubt aero road helmets make much difference if any.
Old 06-26-12, 04:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
How would you fix dropping a chain?
Buy a latest gen Shimano crank ;-)
Old 07-03-12, 02:00

Gerard Vroom's view on the claims of Trek's new aero Madone appeared at the bottom of his TdF predicitons. Funny, though of course he probably made the same claims about the S3 Cervelo

"But as we now know, all of the above is nonsense. Trek has unveiled a new Madone that saves 2min per hour, so thatís around 3 hours saved over the entire Tour. I know Frank Schleck says heís not a contender, but thatís a nice buffer I would think. So my final prediction is Frank Schleck as the winner of the 2012 Tour, with a 2 hour advantage over the rest of the field."

http://gerard.cc/
Old 07-03-12, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCutter View Post
Gerard Vroom's view on the claims of Trek's new aero Madone appeared at the bottom of his TdF predicitons. Funny, though of course he probably made the same claims about the S3 Cervelo

"But as we now know, all of the above is nonsense. Trek has unveiled a new Madone that saves 2min per hour, so thatís around 3 hours saved over the entire Tour. I know Frank Schleck says heís not a contender, but thatís a nice buffer I would think. So my final prediction is Frank Schleck as the winner of the 2012 Tour, with a 2 hour advantage over the rest of the field."

http://gerard.cc/
Sounds like a big bowl of sour grapes. Vroom only wishes he could design, build and then sell the stuff Trek makes. Be their size and be in their financial position. Now that the 'test team' is no more, their hay days are over..and their bottom line says so. If it weren't for the tri guys, cervelo would be history.

I always dismiss any 'salesman' who slams the competition rather than talk about their products 'advantages'.
Old 07-13-12, 05:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Z_man View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see these at the Olympics. The British team at the worlds last year wore different kinds of modified aero road helmets.
What Cav was wearing at the worlds was an S-Works Prevail wrapped in cling film! Very innovative and low budget aero if you ask me.

And yes, the Giro Aero helmet looks like my first MTB helmet from 1989 (Giro - Hammerhead) which was ridiculously hot although it had more air vents. To quote some commentator at this year's TDF "Their must be a competition going on this year to show off the ugliest helmet."

You gotta feel for the Rabo guys who have to wear this ugly crap.
Old 08-15-12, 21:25
Administrator

new smartphone stem concept from trek, won't be a production option. But the big question does something like this fall under cool? crazy? or just plain dumb?

Old 08-15-12, 21:52

BOTH

At this rate they'll eventually have a 10" touch screen on there

With wifi, gps, sonar/radar, satalite uplink, and road scanner.
Old 08-15-12, 22:37

I'm not a fan of having the computer on the stem - for my position (more upright, stem up-angled a bit), it's too close in.

Though I do like the idea of having the computer centered, rather than off to one side a bit - the mounts coming out for Garmins that put it out in front of the handlebar intrigue me. But I'd have to get a Garmin first.
Old 12-11-12, 09:18

Something interesting I hadn't seen before.

Reflective arm warmers, not bad for some nite riding:

http://www.realflex-arm.de/

Old 12-11-12, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmerk View Post
Much of our racing season is conducted in conditions where the venting in existing helmets is such that you freeze your noggin without some kind of additional headgear (cap, ear warmers, maybe even a beanie on really bad days).
Jeez! Where do you live?!