No Katusha - Page 8 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-11-12, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamski101 View Post
Cannondale could be a good fit. Basso is there only real GT leader and he is in final stages of his career. They don't have an obvious leader for the TDF next year, so Purito could be a good fit for them?
Plus 'Il parla Italiano', I like this one.
Basso as super domestique, again?

Last edited by cineteq; 12-11-12 at 16:21.
Old 12-11-12, 16:27

is it certain he will leave then? I doubt that. katusha pay him astronomically and listened to him and fired holczer.
Old 12-11-12, 18:30
Administrator

If Purito left Katusha then I would say Cannondale, BMC, and Lampre would be his best options. All have good teams that could support him but their main GT leaders are aging and are no longer much of a factor in GT's

Of course Katusha could get a invite fairly easily to all of the key races Purito would target, so staying with them might be a better option then changing teams so late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamski101 View Post
Canondale could be a good fit. Basso is there only real GT leader and he is in final stages of his career. They don't have an obvious leader for the TDF next year, so Purito could be a good fit for them?
They have Sagan for TDF, but it wouldn't be difficult to support him and Purito. Especially since Sagan doesn't need a train.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-11-12, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Also interesting that Rabobank got a 2 year license. What are they going to do with it in 2014?

The UCI probably got some advance information about the Mantova investigation regarding Katusha.
Yes. All should be brought to light soon.
Old 12-11-12, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
Well I think most decent riders have clauses in their contract allowing them to leave if the team is relegated. Even Kristoff has such a clause, so he's free to find a new team if he wishes.
Right, the problem is that the Spaniard has but a month to resign, however, his market value diminishes considerably as a result.
Old 12-11-12, 18:50

Katusha releases angry statement regarding WorldTour snub
http://www.katushateam.com/2012/12/o...-katusha-team/

According to this fax, financial criterion is the issue, but what exactly?

Last edited by cineteq; 12-11-12 at 18:52.
Old 12-11-12, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ur-snub_268643

UCI's ranking model, calculation and process for determining the WT teams seems at best farcical.
Old 12-11-12, 19:21

Quote:

My question is how can a financial criterion be at the basis of the cause, when as far as financial stability goes there should be no problem, given that the money arrives from Gazprom, the world's major extractor of natural gas and Itera, another colossal of the energy sector.

As far as the administrative concern goes, Katusha has thrice changed managers in just as many years. Might there have been some perplexity over this at UCI and Ernst&Young? In any case the focal point could be ethical, since the team is now conducted since October 8 by Viatcheslav Ekimov, once among the most faithful to Lance Armstrong at US Postal and then Discovery. Yet above all among those wearing the Katusha uniform are Denis Menchov, Mikhail Ignatiev, Vladimir Gusev and Alexander Kolobnev, who are cited among those in Benedetto Roberti's Padova doping investigation. In light of USADA, might the UCI simply desire to avert further bad press out of an eventual Padova scenario?

Last edited by rhubroma; 12-11-12 at 19:50.
Old 12-11-12, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
If Purito left Katusha then I would say Cannondale, BMC, and Lampre would be his best options.

that would be the opposite of a good fit
Old 12-11-12, 19:40

Quote:

So.... "money" is now an issue-but isn't KATUSHA one of the teams with the biggest budget in Pro-Cycling? I honestly haven't heard of any delayed payments to riders & staff, or cuts to preserve the team.....

Pat & UCI better come up with a "serious" answer to that BS, otherwise this issue is going to get messy & perhaps could end up in court....