Should Contador Aim For Giro-Tour again and when? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: When Should Contador aim for Giro/Tour?
Don't do it anymore. 16 21.62%
2013 5 6.76%
2014 24 32.43%
2015 4 5.41%
BE A FREAKING GOD AND WIN THE 3 GT's (vino-level) 25 33.78%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-12, 21:59

Default Should Contador Aim For Giro-Tour again and when?

I stick with my statement that without all the bad luck and that bad day in the galibier it would have been way different in the tour'11.

Win it? Prob not but would have been close then. He had to attack on spots he normally wouldn't do and then those crashes. Don't forget he rode the toughest giro in how long?

I think he can do it. If one guy can, he can. Not freaking hesjedal

When should he go for it?

I want him to say 2013. Then Wiggins will be like "Ah **** i'll ride the tour, who cares about the giro anyways?". Contador puts up his troll-face and says in his great english "I was just kidding."

Last edited by Miburo; 12-11-12 at 22:03.
Old 12-11-12, 22:05

I dont think it is doable at all unless he has a sky-like team and i think it is pretty much impossible to do Giro-Tour (Unless Acquarone shows up with a very lame Giro somehow)
Old 12-11-12, 22:07
Administrator

he should shut up the critics and doubters this year at the tour and attempt the giro-tour double next year. with a strong enough team and lots of luck it could be doable.

i also think he should attempt the tour vuelta this year to see how it goes. if he pulls a froome then he should forget about the double imo.
Old 12-11-12, 22:08

If he's a god like the fans of this forum thinks... Something like Berharnd Hinault or Marco Pantani.. Why not Giro-Tour?
Old 12-11-12, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
I dont think it is doable at all unless he has a sky-like team and i think it is pretty much impossible to do Giro-Tour (Unless Acquarone shows up with a very lame Giro somehow)
I'm sure he'll try it again. I don't know him personally but at the same time I know him lol No freaking way he won't do it again xD

He should indeed wait for a lame giro. Give that giro-guy a call in september 2013 "I'll come if..."

I would say the dude has no choice lol
Old 12-11-12, 22:28

I thought he would do it if Saxo wasn't WT: ride the Giro and wait for an invitation for the Tour.
Old 12-11-12, 22:32
Banned

The sooner - the better.
Although 2013. is obviously too soon, 2014. might be the year.
2013. to use as a benchmark and go for it the year after.
He should definetely target the double.
Old 12-11-12, 22:42

If 2011 had been a normal year, without the lingering clen-case, he could have achieved the double already. Now, with Froomedog in the picture and himself coming back from a (especially mentally) very tough period, things have become different and he has to 'reinvent' himself as well as find out how strong CF really is. If he himself can come back at the level he had in 2009, is able to find Froomes weakness and if the last two years haven't decayed him, he could try again in 2014.
Old 12-11-12, 23:02
Administrator

He definitely shouldn't do it next year, he needs to see how he can do against the current crop of the new GC contenders like Froome. And see if he is still capable of replicating the level he had in 2009 and 2011 (at the Giro). Also agree with Parrulo, he should try to do the Vuelta after the tour and see how he handles doing 2 GT's back to back.

A lot of deciding when to try the Giro Tour double will depend on the route of both though. So if the routes aren't terribly difficult in 2014 and he shows this next year he can replicate his best form then he should go for it then.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-11-12, 23:09
Banned

It is simply impossible. Surely 5-7 people living in monopolar GT world (where GT's are monopolized) can laugh, but it is the case because of the reasons that are not actual for this subforum.