The importance of crank length to the cyclist. - Page 174 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1731  
Old 12-08-12, 02:09
BroDeal's Avatar
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,937
Default

Let's let him put it in his own words:

pete jacobs @petejjacobs
I do not use Power Cranks despite what has been advertised by them. #nothappy
__________________
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
  #1732  
Old 12-08-12, 04:47
FrankDay FrankDay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Let's let him put it in his own words:

pete jacobs @petejjacobs
I do not use Power Cranks despite what has been advertised by them. #nothappy
The fact that some companies that pay him big bucks to use their product have made him disavow "current use" of a product he used in the past (without needing to being paid anything) to improve his athletic performance says little about the respective value of the several non-competing products, wouldn't you say?
__________________
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
  #1733  
Old 12-08-12, 22:10
BroDeal's Avatar
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
The fact that some companies that pay him big bucks to use their product have made him disavow "current use" of a product he used in the past (without needing to being paid anything) to improve his athletic performance says little about the respective value of the several non-competing products, wouldn't you say?
And I once used a crap jacket from Pearl Izumi. I would not expect PI to claim credit for my wins because years ago I tried their poorly designed clothing. It would be dishonest and slimy advertising.

Again, we should let Jacobs put it in his own words:

pete jacobs @petejjacobs
I do not use Power Cranks despite what has been advertised by them. #nothappy
__________________
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
  #1734  
Old 12-11-12, 17:21
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
And I once used a crap jacket from Pearl Izumi. I would not expect PI to claim credit for my wins because years ago I tried their poorly designed clothing. It would be dishonest and slimy advertising.

Again, we should let Jacobs put it in his own words:

pete jacobs @petejjacobs
I do not use Power Cranks despite what has been advertised by them. #nothappy
Ha ha nice.

More evidence of how desperate Frank is.

What evidence do you have that Gimmickcranks lead to an improvement in performance for Pete?
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #1735  
Old 12-11-12, 18:17
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Ha ha nice.

More evidence of how desperate Frank is.

What evidence do you have that Gimmickcranks lead to an improvement in performance for Pete?


Leaving cost aside, can you state one disadvantage that could arise from using Powercranks.
  #1736  
Old 12-12-12, 01:15
Alex Simmons/RST's Avatar
Alex Simmons/RST Alex Simmons/RST is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Leaving cost aside, can you state one disadvantage that could arise from using Powercranks.
Wasting valuable training time / detraining.
  #1737  
Old 12-12-12, 11:15
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,300
Default

Yes time.

Training in a non specific way to how you perform.

Weight of the product.

Aerodynamics of the product.

No scientific support for the product.

Noel, you want to check out Graeme Orbree's new book on training. Looks like he his stealing your pedalling technique and has a very good way of explaining the technique. Better than anything we have heard from you. Pity there is no scientific support for the method even though the means to evaluate it have been around for at least 30 years.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #1738  
Old 12-15-12, 21:01
acoggan acoggan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Leaving cost aside, can you state one disadvantage that could arise from using Powercranks.
Possibly increased risk of an overuse injury.
  #1739  
Old 12-24-12, 11:59
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post

Noel, you want to check out Graeme Orbree's new book on training. Looks like he his stealing your pedalling technique and has a very good way of explaining the technique. Better than anything we have heard from you. Pity there is no scientific support for the method even though the means to evaluate it have been around for at least 30 years.


If he has a better way of explaining it, how does his technique differ from the one you are using and where do the main advantages lie. You always believed technique does not matter.
  #1740  
Old 12-24-12, 19:06
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
You always believed technique does not matter.
Ha ha most of my coaching is technique.

It's your technique that doesn't matter.

The techniques I coach have a biomechanical and physiological basis to them.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.