Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 15 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-12-12, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Pinot has to prove a lot? The youngest winner of Valle D' Aosta in amateurs. The youngest winner of the history. Tour of Romandia mountain classification in his first year as pro. Also in a breakway in the Dauphiné Liberé and finished top 20 in the final GC with 20 years. In 2011 (with 21 years) four wins and the GCs of Settimana Lombarda and Tour of Alsacia. Also shone one more time in Dauphiné specially in the Toussuire stage where he finished second after Joaquim Rodríguez and ahead of Evans, Gesink or Vinokourov. Ah. He was in the breakway this day. This year a bad beginning of season due to too much races in a short period of time. Even with that he was with the best climbers in Suisse. Then in the TDF a stage win after 50 kms to make the breakway dropping and ****ing the asses of guys like Kiserlovski, Kruivswijk, Mollema, Gallopin one by one and Kessiakoff in the last climb. The best climber in the Alps. Consistency in the Pyrenées. Only one bad day in all the race. The youngest top ten of the race since Raymond Impanis in 1947. (He didnt have a set up to come to the TDF. FDJ decided to include him in the nine one week after the race.) Then he made an exhibition in the last stage of the Tour L'Ain attacking from 30 kms to the finish and winning the stage. It's like in 2008 i am saying "Andy Schleck has to prove a lot" when he was second in the Giro D'Italia with 21 years and the best
young rider in the TDF where he shown amazing climbing skills.
Over the next 12-15 years Pinot will very likely win one or two GT's. I mean recently guys such as Hesjedal, Wiggins, NIbali and Cobo have picked up a trophy and I think the Frenchman has more raw talent than any of those guys. However the gulf between winning one or two GT's to being dominant seems rather big. Not sure Pinot got what it takes. We will see in the next few years. He will likely be exciting to watch in any case.
Old 12-12-12, 10:10

Pinot is à highly gifted climber. I guess it will be beween him and Dombrowski. I'm still ambivalent about Henao. Can he handle steep climbs too? I wonder.
Old 12-12-12, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
except van garderen sucks at climbing. he will never be a serious force in gt's.
I think he, in a few more years, will be good enough to limit time lost on climbs. He's not going to be an attacking climber. He has a great role model with him in Evans. If he copies Cadel's approach then his climbing might not be too big a problem.
Old 12-12-12, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric8-A View Post
Would anyone here rank Talasnky higher than TJVG?

I did a small comparison of the two riders last year with Teejay coming out on top, but Talansky improved greatly this year.
yes 100% I would rank him way above him as a gt rider.
Old 12-12-12, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric8-A View Post
Would anyone here rank Talasnky higher than TJVG?

I did a small comparison of the two riders last year with Teejay coming out on top, but Talansky improved greatly this year.
Van Garderen's climbing is very bad for a GT rider, don't let that 5th place in the Tour make you forget about that. He'll never win a GT except one with 150 km's of time trialing. At least Talansky showed in the Vuelta he can keep up with the big riders for some time.
Old 12-12-12, 11:41
Banned

I can not help wondering why people like to disparage Sky so much. WHY? Apparently, Tour just didn't satisfy you in terms of spectacle.

The rider is 25 years of age, but according to one's authoritative opinion, he is doomed not to win a GT no matter how he might try. Poor guy. He'd better quit right now...

Last edited by airstream; 12-12-12 at 11:45.
Old 12-12-12, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Van Garderen's climbing is very bad for a GT rider, don't let that 5th place in the Tour make you forget about that. He'll never win a GT except one with 150 km's of time trialing. At least Talansky showed in the Vuelta he can keep up with the big riders for some time.
It's not just about physical talent, brain matters too, and that's not one of Tejay's strengths. Until then, he needs to concentrate in one-week stage races. Talansky is much better in that department, but he's not a force.
Old 12-12-12, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
It's not just about physical talent, brain matters too, and that's not one of Tejay's strengths. Until then, he needs to concentrate in one-week stage races. Talansky is much better in that department, but he's not a force.
TJVG can have all the brain he wants, but it won't help him get up longer climbs faster. The only top ten results in the Tour this year were on a shorter climb(Peyragudes) and in TT's. He'll need a Wiggins-like transformation to win the Tour, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Talansky has the mental and physical strength to win a GT, he was the only rider along with Westra who came close to beating Wiggins this year, and he rode a good Vuelta in which Tejay would've cracked big time.

Last edited by Pentacycle; 12-12-12 at 11:55.
Old 12-12-12, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
TJVG can have all the brain he wants, but it won't help him get up longer climbs faster. The only top ten results in the Tour this year were on a shorter climb(Peyragudes) and in TT's. He'll need a Wiggins-like transformation to win the Tour, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Talansky has the mental and physical strength to win a GT, he was the only rider along with Westra who came close to beating Wiggins this year, and he rode a good Vuelta in which Tejay would've cracked big time.
What was so great about Talansky's climbing in the Vuelta? He came in minutes behind the favourites, together with guys like Ten Dam and post-legbreak Gesink. Surely Van Garderen could have done the same.
Old 12-12-12, 12:23

I think VG is better climber than Talansky. Super Besse 2011. Croix De Fer and Peyragudes 2012. The only scenary where Talansky has shown a similar level was in the Ancares ascent of the Vuelta. And that's all for me. Maybe Talansky is better TT'er in long distances.