Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-11-12, 21:55

Obama's balanced (another lie) approach;

Old 12-11-12, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
I said

You replied

Then I said
Have we enjoyed too many beers tonight?

You in fact said 1 and 3 together, then I replied 2.
Old 12-11-12, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Have we enjoyed too many beers tonight?

You in fact said 1 and 3 together, then I replied 2.
I have not started drinking just yet.

Maybe I should

Cheers.
Old 12-11-12, 23:54

Wait, what?

In a letter to Majority Leader Harry Reid, 18 Democrat senators and senators-elect have asked for “a delay in the implementation” of the Obamacare medical device tax.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...er12102012.pdf

Aren't these the same democrats that told us before the election that new taxes will spur new economic prosperity?

I am now confused.
Old 12-12-12, 03:51

Hmmm. Maybe we can learn something here. On second thought, probably not.

Quote:
France's prime minister has slammed wealthy citizens fleeing the country's punitive tax on high incomes as greedy profiteers seeking to "become even richer".
A 75% tax rate. Rich people leaving and this POS thinks those that earn their money are 'greedy,' as opposed to the govt, which of course sees no problem with taking what they want.

You literally can't make this **** up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...eedy-rich.html
Old 12-12-12, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutto View Post
....so genuinely sad...leaving all their friends and family behind so they can stay close to their bags of money...

.....and somewhere in the background noise I swear I call hear Gollum raspily squeaking out "My Precious" over and over again....

Cheers

blutto
The resemblance is uncanny.

Old 12-12-12, 13:41

Quote:
....some wise words from a wise man ( who oddly enough has nothing to do with either the modern banking industry or modern wrong wingism )...

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
If money be not thy servant, it will be thy master. The covetous man cannot so properly be said to possess wealth, as that may be said to possess him. -Francis Bacon, essayist, philosopher, and statesman (1561-1626)

Cheers

blutto
mmmmmm, bacon
Old 12-12-12, 15:03

Quote:
I honestly don't understand what you guys are so afraid of. If the unions provide value to the workers they have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Of course, not all union members are rabid leftists like their leadership and I'd guess that a decent portion of the members resent how their union dues are used to further political causes they may not agree with.
And right back to the stereotyping.

It's the responsibility of union leaders to do what's best for the union. That's it. That's all. All other "political causes" are completely irrelevant. It used to be that the Rs were the party of the worker; they're not anymore. Now it's the Ds. No surprise that unions put all of that money and cash behind the candidates they believe will act in their best interest, which today is almost exclusively Ds. The Rs chose to side with Wall St and business leaders. That's fine, their choice, but don't whine when unions give all of their money and support to your opponent. If you were a union leader, which party would you donate union funds to, the party that supports unions and workers or the party that is constantly demonizing and trying to undermine unions?

Quote:
If the necessity of unions are on business then the necessity of right to work laws are on the unions. Deal with it.
There was no necessity of right to work laws. That's the point. They're just gratuitous attempts by Rs to undermine unions. Simple as that.
Old 12-12-12, 16:08

Quote:
So, why do we need unions now?
Laws are pretty easy things to reverse, if you get the right mix of ideologues in power. It's easy to forget that we're only a few steps removed from working conditions that wouldn't be all that different from Third World conditions. Why do you think businesses outsource to Third World countries anyway? Because there are no unions there and Wal-mart and the Gap etc don't need to provide minimum wages, health benefits, limited working hours, decent working conditions, etc. Saves them a lot of money, and who gives a **** if a bunch of Bangladeshi's die in a fire in a locked building anyway if it increases Wal-mart's shares? Wasn't so long ago that it was workers in NYC dying in fires in locked buildings. Wouldn't take all that much to go back to that.

Worker's rights are expensive - its bad for business. Rs, who side with the brass, are trying very hard to reduce that burden on business by destroying the unions. Rs need to learn that there's much more to quality of life than just doing what's best for business.

But to answer your question: we still need unions because workers need a monitor and a watchdog to safeguard their rights, esp against anti-union Rs. Unions make pretty good pitbulls.
Old 12-12-12, 16:28

Quote:
...its a good thing the wrongs have an well honed and battle tested playbook to draw from because those clowns just could not do this on their own....

...here is a blast from that past playbook that has produced quite a potential resonance with some participants in this thread....

...from one of the 20th centuries most influential writers....

"We must close union offices, confiscate their money and put their leaders in prison. We must reduce workers salaries and take away their right to strike" May 2, 1933 Adolf Hitler

Cheers

blutto
On that, my dear blutto, I must chime in: this one's for Scott (but who else...), as it's got a nice medieval ring to it:

You shall find out how salt is the taste of another man's bread, and how hard is the way up and down another man's stairs.

-Dante Alighieri