Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 18 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-12-12, 13:17

Bob Jungels. Surprised he wasn't mentioned (sorry if I missed it, skimmed through but didn't find him)

Some people might think he is an ITT/classics/cobbles kind of rider. But he went to Italy and went up against those skinny Italians. And he found out that he can do it. In Giro del Friuli and Giro della Valle d'Aosta he showed that he can climb with the best. Same in Tour de l'Avenir.

As Ryo Hazuki once famously claimed about another rider - "the guy has no weaknesses!!!!!". Or as Andy Schleck put it - "Maybe in a few years we'll all be riding for him".

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 12-12-12, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
You mean Dauphiné 2012? Haha Was Van Garderen in top shape? NO by far. And Richie Porte ride for Sky. VG would be something like Greg Lemond if he would be a member of the friends group of Sky.
Okay. I'll give you an instance of Van Garderen in top shape: the Tour de France, Les Belles Filles. Porte went full gas (having formed the bottom of a pile of riders the day before), and Van Garderen went bye-bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Bob Jungels. Surprised he wasn't mentioned (sorry if I missed it, skimmed through but didn't find him)

Some people might think he is an ITT/classics/cobbles kind of rider. But he went to Italy and went up against those skinny Italians. And he found out that he can do it. In Giro del Friuli and Giro della Valle d'Aosta he showed that he can climb with the best. Same in Tour de l'Avenir.

As Ryo Hazuki once famously claimed about another rider - "the guy has no weaknesses!!!!!". Or as Andy Schleck put it - "Maybe in a few years we'll all be riding for him".
Bob Jungels can't climb with the best. He showed that in l'Avenir. If he becomes a GC rider it will be more like Tony Martin.

Last edited by theyoungest; 12-12-12 at 13:21.
Old 12-12-12, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Bob Jungels can't climb with the best. He showed that in l'Avenir. If he becomes a GC rider it will be more like Tony Martin.
IINM he hadn't specifically prepared for l'Avenir, I think he used it more as preparation for another race (WC?) but I could be wrong. IIRC he even said in an interview that it was a pity to come to such a great race and not compete for the win. Plus you must also consider that in the National Events he never really had a team

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 12-12-12, 13:44

Quote:

LOL. jungels can't climb well at all. in that italian race you said he was in a solo effort when he was already long gone in gc, because he can't keep up with the real ones. he could become great classical rider
Old 12-12-12, 13:58

Quote:
IINM he hadn't specifically prepared for l'Avenir, I think he used it more as preparation for another race (WC?) but I could be wrong. IIRC he even said in an interview that it was a pity to come to such a great race and not compete for the win. Plus you must also consider that in the National Events he never really had a team
Bob Jungels is an allrounder, and he can indeed climb a bit, but he's on the wrong side of 70 kgs to ever be a GT contender. He was nowhere near the best climber in the U23s.
Old 12-12-12, 15:16

Ok maybe Jungels will become a good GT rider if he improves him climbing and really focuses on it but there is a big difference between podiuming a Grand Tour and dominating the stuff. He has never shown he has the potential to dominate on the climbs.
Old 12-12-12, 16:29

If we are talking about Jungels climbing ability lets not forget that Matthews finished Avenir in top10 (with extremeley great field). He's far from being climber and always was, inst he ? But he's pure talent with big engine and that was enough to compete with real climbers. Same goes to Lecuisinier who won Ronde d'Isard with 68kgs at the age of 19.
Old 12-12-12, 17:18

This is my current ranking in order of GT potential talents: Quintana, Pinot, Talansky, ... , Joey D, TJ, Bardet, Jungels

Pinot & Quintana are the closest to equal. There are arguements for both. I rank Talansky so high because he can climb & TT. Pinot is a weaker TT'er and I'm not sure about Quintana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
Old 12-12-12, 17:39

pinot could perhaps never win a gt, because his itt is so horrendous and his position on the bike is also very bad. he reminds me in many weays physically of andy schleck.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 12-12-12 at 17:50.
Old 12-12-12, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
pinot could perhaps never win a gt, because his itt is so horrendous and his position on the bike is also very bad. he reminds me in many weays physically of andy schleck.
Depends on his work ethic and commitment. He could make it such that he could limit his losses in stages vs the clock. Andy came close in 2010 and could have won a Giro or Vuelta by now if he wasn't so singularly focused on the Tour (and to a lesser degree on the Ardennes).

Edit: ...and I just noticed the "perhaps" in your post.