Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 19 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-12-12, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
Depends on his work ethic and commitment. He could make it such that he could limit his losses in stages vs the clock. Andy came close in 2010 and could have won a Giro or Vuelta by now if he wasn't so singularly focused on the Tour (and to a lesser degree on the Ardennes).

Edit: ...and I just noticed the "perhaps" in your post.
andy also trained a lot on his itt, but his natural bike position is so bad that he can't fit in good aery position and still crank out power, same with ivan basso for instance

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 12-12-12 at 18:23.
Old 12-12-12, 21:19

Hm yeah I can't find the interview anymore but I am pretty sure I once read one where Jungels said that he felt that he could compete with the best in the mountains in Italy ...

Idk Tony Martin's amateur results, did he have similar ones or mostly TT?

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 12-12-12, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
andy also trained a lot on his itt, but his natural bike position is so bad that he can't fit in good aery position and still crank out power, same with ivan basso for instance
Basso still had some nice ITT results:

Giro '06 ITT stage 11

When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-12-12, 21:32
Banned

Just before Landis' Tour.
Nothing since then.
Old 12-13-12, 02:50

Quote:
porte started cycling very late(in his 20) but rode amazingly as soon as he hit the scene. I remember how he hammered the baby giro itt
Porte was a relatively late transition from Triathlon, where he was really only competitive because of his bike leg. Porte isn't a natural climber, he's a "manufactured" one.

Last edited by 42x16ss; 12-13-12 at 03:00.
Old 12-13-12, 08:01

Quote:
pinot could perhaps never win a gt, because his itt is so horrendous and his position on the bike is also very bad. he reminds me in many weays physically of andy schleck.
I know it wasn't all good, but he did a reasonable second tt in the tour this year.
Old 12-13-12, 10:21

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA. Andy didnt train nothing on his itt. He only showed he was training for the big public but didnt train the itt seriously. About Pinot's fact, had Pedro Delgado a good aery position on the bike? No. But he improved on the itt. Has Joaquim Rodríguez a good natural position on the bike? No. But he improved on the itt. Excuses and things like "he will never win a GT" Only say you dont like Thibaut and it's ok. But dont write excuses. Thibaut doesnt need to improve his itt for win a GT. He's a superclimber talent. Love his sport and is a hard worker. He wont be a wasted talent like Andy Schleck. Yes, Andy, the guy which have wasted the best climber conditions since Pantani. The guy which never improved since 2009 due to short seasons and not training enough. See Nibali, see Joaquim Rodríguez. Both have improved year after year. Then see Andy Schleck. Andy Schleck ****ed their asses in 2009. Today we'll see if he can beat them. Pinot is not like Andy. No.
Old 12-13-12, 10:22

I think it´s not possible to predict what Jungels, Dombrowski and others will do, th start from zero by entering the pro peloton.

Looking at the guys who´ve already ridden one or two pro seasons, I don´t really see anyone who´ll dominate everything, but that doesn´t mean anything.

Ullrich was second in his first ever Tour in 1996, aged 22, whereas Contador and Rasmussen needed some time to become dominators.

Andy Schleck was maybe similar to Ullrich, being top nearly already from the beginning.

The problem with predictions is that GT top riders peak from 27/28 to 32, so we won´t really know before.

In the next years, it will remain between Contador, A.Schleck, Froome, Wiggins, VDB, Van Garderen, Kreuziger, maybe Fuglsang, and few others.
Old 12-13-12, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Okay. I'll give you an instance of Van Garderen in top shape: the Tour de France, Les Belles Filles. Porte went full gas (having formed the bottom of a pile of riders the day before), and Van Garderen went bye-bye.

Bob Jungels can't climb with the best. He showed that in l'Avenir. If he becomes a GC rider it will be more like Tony Martin.
Lol. So your example is the only bad day of Van Garderen in all the TDF... Ok if this is an example i'll give you another example: Peyragudes. See Van Garderen and then Porte. Is this a good example? No. Because Porte was a domestique. But this example is like yours. You take the worst day of Van Garderen to take reason.... He was 46° that day. I'll make you a question. Do you think the Belles Filles day is the real level of climbing of Van Garderen? Do you think so? And if you think it i'll make you another question. If this day (where he finished 46° ) shows his real level of climbing why he stayed with the bests guys in Luchon and Peyragudes and attacked in the CDFer ascent where the other favourites could only stay at Sky wheel? Why he finished 5° in the GC? You'll say because of the Itt. And i'll respond you: How much ITT had the TDF? 400 kms?
Old 12-13-12, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post

Ullrich was second in his first ever Tour in 1996, aged 22, whereas Contador and Rasmussen needed some time to become dominators.
Since when was Rasmussen dominating anything? Dieting? Looking silly on a TT bike?