What beer ya drinkin'? - Page 119 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 09-19-12, 12:35

Some years ago I got into home-brewing. Back then about the most flavorful beers (non-import) we could get in the US were like Killian's Red, or Rolling Rock. There was a nice beer out of Maryland, I forget the name, but it had a circulation of just over zero.

I actually got 2nd in the state fair one year. Today we have lots of micro-brews, and I don't have the time for home-brewing. But I have always loved a good balance flavor best - not too much hops, like an IPA, not too much malt, like many porters, stouts, and "brown ales". My favorite is a British type of ale, with medium body and a good hop sharpness to balance the body and sweetness of the malt.

I keep coming back to Long Trail Ale as my preferred brand of this type of beer. Long Trail also produces some other very fine brews - their brewmaster, like me, believes in a balance of flavors. Adirondack is another brewery that does a good job with this. Adirondack offers a wide variety of brews, quite a few of which are flavored. I rarely care for flavoring in beer. It can be nice, but I prefer a HINT of flavor that adds to complexity and balance, and most brewmasters like to slug you in the face with the flavoring. So you won't find the latest blueberry/coffee/chocolate beer offering in my home. Adirondack goes slightly over the "hint" line, but they still do a good job.

I will tell you one beer, though, that has flavoring and is more than excellent - Dogfish Head's Chicory Porter. They don't produce it all the time, but if you happen to see some, you have my recommendation to try it! They have an excellent balance of chicory's coffee-like bitterness to counter the basic maltiness of a porter. A superb beer.
Old 10-03-12, 15:05

I miss reading scott's post.
Old 12-12-12, 18:56

ATTENTION ScottSoCal

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...paign=20121211

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 12-12-12, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post

Very nice! I'll send a PM to Slowoldman

I had a Westy 12 just last night. Me and Mrs. SoCal split one, 2009 vintage. It was just sooooo good.

A couple of tips;

If you are able to get your hands on some... I beg you not to drink it right away. The beer is easily bottle-shocked and really needs time to rest. give it a month or so and you won't be sorry. Cool place, no light, not the refrigerator and definitely not on it's side.

DO NOT DRINK IT TOO COLD!! Think fine red-wine and you won't be far off.

The beer tends to be very carbonated, it's bottle conditioned so there is live yeast in the bottle (don't pour the entire contents in your glass), make damned sure you drink it from a chalice shaped glass, delicately pour it in your glass and then let it sit there for 10 or 15 minutes. DO NOT POUR THIS BEER A PINT GLASS! The Monks will come and get ya.

And a big thanks to HJ for bringing this extremely important turn of events to this board

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 12-12-12 at 20:22.
Old 12-13-12, 04:00

Quote:
Update:

Went to my local Total Wine this evening. 80 cases sold out before noon.
Old 12-13-12, 04:58

My favourite Australian beer:

Old 12-14-12, 03:09

That's not beer.
Scott, I missed out as well, Wines Plus (or something like that) in Northridge was the closest to me, I called them at 2PM and they were sold out. So now I am drowning my sorrows with one or so of these.

Well except for the mac'n'cheese.

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 12-14-12, 04:57

Quote:
That's not beer.
Scott, I missed out as well, Wines Plus (or something like that) in Northridge was the closest to me, I called them at 2PM and they were sold out. So now I am drowning my sorrows with one or so of these.

you guys can thank NPR for no beer
Old 12-14-12, 05:00

Quote:
That's not beer.

Cool. Carbo loading. Love it.

Here's a little secret... Ok, probably not a super well kept secret. St Bernardus used to brew Westvleteren up until 1993 under license. The St Bernardus Apt is very, very close to Westy 12 and you can get it here.

Same rules apply, chalice, not too cold, treat it more like wine, open and let it breathe, etc. Between that and Rochefort 10 nobody should be super upset that they may have missed the first US public sales of Westvleteren.

Okay, be a little upset.

Look, if you've never had a Westy, you missed something very unique.

Actually, I'm a little ****ed, given how much I spend on beer at Total Wine, that they didn't extend a VIP invitation to their top customers.

Now that I think about it, I can't believe that the Westvleteren Monks didn't feature me in a f'ing press conference given how many f'ing people I've turned on to their beer.

Just kidding Don't want to go to hell for that little rant.

Last edited by Scott SoCal; 12-14-12 at 14:14.
Old 12-14-12, 11:42

Brodies/Mikkeler Big Mofo Stout.

Equally smooth and rich in bottle or on tap

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brodies...-stout/171467/

Free (ly regulated) market Scott; no need for VIPs.

Last edited by aphronesis; 12-14-12 at 22:04.