Are you afraid? - Page 22 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 12-12-12, 01:44
42x16ss's Avatar
42x16ss 42x16ss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Aus
Posts: 2,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
As a driver I am merely pointing out the fact that cyclists in hi-viz jackets are extremely visible. I dont know why you guys are so incensed by this.

Its only for winter - cant you bear to leave your cool kit behind and look slightly knobbish in the wintertime ?

I am talking about daytime riding - not a at night....then the rider should have both lights and hi-viz.
Agreed, sometimes it's best to light yourself up so that the only way a motorist can say they didn't see you is if they are blind or lying.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 12-12-12, 14:21
Aapjes Aapjes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Chic View Post
I dont know why you guys are so incensed by this
Because of the way you communicate. If you say things that lack any nuance then people get upset. You also seem to be on some kind of hi-viz crusade. People who keep pushing the same, already discussed topic back into the thread are very tiresome. You did this with the "More cyclists out this weekend in their all black gear" post. What was the purpose of that post? It was not a response to anyone and wasn't news. You just wanted to give your opinion. Again. Even though you already talked about the same thing earlier.

Meanwhile, you ignored the comment by the guy talking about cellphone abuse by drivers, because apparently, that doesn't fit in your narrative, so you ignore it.

Quote:
I am talking about daytime riding - not a at night
Unfortunately yellow hi-viz seems to have stopped working:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph...68069&start=15

Now on to orange, until the orange stops being special too.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 12-12-12, 21:06
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,950
Default

I had a bit of a scare going home earlier today (after sunset), but that wasn't because of other trafficants, it was just because of the snow making my bike skid out a little, luckily I was going so slow nothing really happened.

As for high viz clothing, well... I regretted that I didn't bring my west, but I didn't go AAAAAAH! I'M GONNA GET HIT NOW!
After all; I still got lights on my bike...

I actually saw something really cool while riding; the person who rode in front of me for a while had a light in her hand so it was more easy to see when she indicated a turn.
__________________
Quote:
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.
Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 12-12-12, 21:38
frenchfry's Avatar
frenchfry frenchfry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bourgogne
Posts: 1,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnout View Post
Hi-vi jackets are extremely dangerous. Wearing them makes people think they don't need lights. A tiny little light on both sides makes you way more visible in the dark than all hi-vi jackets combined.
It isn't one or the other, the best thing is to wear a reflective vest and have adequate lighting front and rear. In some conditions the vest is more effective than the lighting, sometimes the lighting is more effective. In pitch dark conditions a reflective vest is incredibly visable when lit by car headlights.

On a recent group ride it was getting dark when we got back (delayed by a couple of flats) and the idiots in all black were almost invisable from 2 meters distance. Those with lights and bright or reflective clothing were much more visable and by definition safer. More and more are wearing reflective clothing and have lights.

I find that tiny little lights are ineffective in almost any conditions. Better than nothing, but not much.
__________________
"C'est une triste chose de songer que la nature parle et que le genre humain n'ecoute pas" - Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 12-12-12, 22:21
Arnout's Avatar
Arnout Arnout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,035
Default

When I'm driving, I prefer cyclists with lights to cyclists with hi-vi jackets big time. Of course, there is a limit to how tiny the lights can be to still be effective, but in general lights are visible from a much bigger distance, from my experience, and also it helps if the front light is white and the back one is red.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 12-13-12, 08:10
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,950
Default

Eeeeh... now I'm confused!
Isn't lights, and particularily the front-light-white, back-light-red thing, mandatory?
__________________
Quote:
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.
Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 12-13-12, 08:11
Cycle Chic's Avatar
Cycle Chic Cycle Chic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aapjes View Post
Because of the way you communicate. If you say things that lack any nuance then people get upset. You also seem to be on some kind of hi-viz crusade. People who keep pushing the same, already discussed topic back into the thread are very tiresome. You did this with the "More cyclists out this weekend in their all black gear" post. What was the purpose of that post? It was not a response to anyone and wasn't news. You just wanted to give your opinion. Again. Even though you already talked about the same thing earlier.

Meanwhile, you ignored the comment by the guy talking about cellphone abuse by drivers, because apparently, that doesn't fit in your narrative, so you ignore it.



Unfortunately yellow hi-viz seems to have stopped working:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph...68069&start=15

Now on to orange, until the orange stops being special too.
Unfortunately I dont have the time to read every post on this thread so yeh I do come in and just post my opinion, in the hope of saving lives. I post about being visible in winter because it saddens and upsets me greatly when I hear about yet another cyclist killed on our roads. I have heard all the arguments and polls that dont support it but I will continue to post about cyclists not helping our cause or theirs.

I walked to the post office yesterday and a semi-pro looking cyclists rode past. Beautiful sleek silhouette, black kit and white helmet. He looked amazing and was probably from a local team. It was freezing fog conditions and as he cycled away on a notoriously busy road into town I thought 'their he goes by the grace of God' .
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 12-13-12, 10:06
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,950
Default

Problem is that the way you put it, then if a cyclist is being hit by a car, while not looking like a walking (cycling) Christmas tree then, it's, automatically and no matter the circumstances, the cyclists own fault.

If I recall correctly one of your arguments for high viz was "Lights aren't vissible from the sides"
Erhm... heard of refleces? On the wheels!
__________________
Quote:
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.
Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 12-13-12, 10:27
frenchfry's Avatar
frenchfry frenchfry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bourgogne
Posts: 1,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
Problem is that the way you put it, then if a cyclist is being hit by a car, while not looking like a walking (cycling) Christmas tree then, it's, automatically and no matter the circumstances, the cyclists own fault.

If I recall correctly one of your arguments for high viz was "Lights aren't vissible from the sides"
Erhm... heard of refleces? On the wheels!
Some lights have some lateral illumination, more or less effecitve.

I don't think it is a matter of automatically putting the fault on the cyclist, but I tend to agree with Cycle Chic that cyclists have some responsibility in assuring they are visable. We shouldn't assume that it is up to other road users to see us no matter what the conditions.

Interesting that on page 1 of the forum link that Aapjes posted there is a picture of a group riding at night with both vests and lights, and for me it is the vests that are by far the most visible in the light of the headlights. You have to scroll down a bit.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph...da14df6237db1b
__________________
"C'est une triste chose de songer que la nature parle et que le genre humain n'ecoute pas" - Victor Hugo

Last edited by frenchfry; 12-13-12 at 10:32.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 12-13-12, 11:03
RedheadDane's Avatar
RedheadDane RedheadDane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)
Posts: 3,950
Default

Of course it's a shared responsibility. Which is why every cyclist should wear the mandatory lights and refleces on his/her bike. If high viz clothing was to become mandatory then yes, everybody should wear high viz.

Besides; if I recall correctly part of the original purpose of this thread was weather or not people was afraid because of drivers being selfish I own the road jerks.
I'm pretty sure those people wouldn't care even if the cyclists wrapped themselves in Christmas lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
Interesting that on page 1 of the forum link that Aapjes posted there is a picture of a group riding at night with both vests and lights, and for me it is the vests that are by far the most visible in the light of the headlights. You have to scroll down a bit.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph...da14df6237db1b
Yet it looks like not one of them are wearing actual lights!
__________________
Quote:
In Italy when you need a coffee you need the right barista, so you need to teach Chris [Juul Jensen] how to make the right coffee.
Lars Michaelsen during the Tinkoff-Saxo team briefing before stage 11 of the 2014 Giro d'Italia.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.