Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 194 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
no.

But I am saying that Froome didn't win this year's tour. Wiggins did.
If it was a team sport, Schleck won the Tour in '08 and Armstrong won it in '09, but they *didn't*.
I am not sure I get your logic. I thought you might be saying the best rider in the team should have won but with Contador at Astana that can't be right?
Old 12-13-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by personal View Post
We need to hear form Froome ASAP.

He is going to be sooo happy for Brad.

There is no way he'll stay with Sky if this happens.

I do undestand Bradley's decision, though. Defending his yellow jersey is honourable and expected.
So much for the "legendary" target: winning all three GT's.

Wiggins probably had a look at the Giro parcours and the impact of stage bonus seconds and decided chances are slim.

A a bit of a loss for the Giro if so.
Old 12-13-12, 11:59
Administrator

but what made wiggins think that bonus second at the giro would be a bigger problem then contador at the tour?

i am with hitch on this one, i think it's just PR to keep the attention on him but he will ride the giro and go to the tour much like basso went in 2010, hoping for the best i mean.
Old 12-13-12, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
I am not sure I get your logic. I thought you might be saying the best rider in the team should have won but with Contador at Astana that can't be right?
In soccer (which is a team sport) when Messi scores 3 goals and wins the match for Barcelona, it isn't (only) Messi who won it is Barcelona.

In cycling (which isn't a team sport) When Contador won the tour, he is the winner of the tour and his team mates (in 09 Armstrong amongst others) didn't win the tour.
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-13-12, 12:09

Quote:
In soccer (which is a team sport) when Messi scores 3 goals and wins the match for Barcelona, it isn't (only) Messi who won it is Barcelona.

In cycling (which isn't a team sport) When Contador won the tour, he is the winner of the tour and his team mates (in 09 Armstrong amongst others) didn't win the tour.
i think we all understand how football works and i may be being optimistic but i do think we all understand how cycling works

So there's no need to explain to us that froome doesn't have a tdf yellow at home or that.messis teammates do get the trophy.

In some ways cycling is a team sport in other ways it isn't. There are more factors to whether a sport classifies as a team sport or not than who gets the blue ribbon at the end. Cyclists don't get that but they do get extra money recognition and watches.

Either way you can't say cycling is absolutely not a team sport. You can't say its a total team sport either. The team plays a part but not all. Ithe answer my.friend, lies somewhere in the middle.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-13-12, 12:09

Quote:

Ah, I see what you are saying. However, you're still wrong (j/k). It is an odd sport in that you have a single winner backed by a team. So you can look at it from either point of view I guess. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 12-13-12, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
but what made wiggins think that bonus second at the giro would be a bigger problem then contador at the tour?

i am with hitch on this one, i think it's just PR to keep the attention on him but he will ride the giro and go to the tour much like basso went in 2010, hoping for the best i mean.
Don't know what worries him most: opposition or parcours or a combination. We shall see.
Old 12-13-12, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
i think we all understand how football works and i may be being optimistic but i do think we all understand how cycling works

So there's no need to explain to us that froome doesn't have a tdf yellow at home or that.messis teammates do get the trophy.

In some ways cycling is a team sport in other ways it isn't. There are more factors to whether a sport classifies as a team sport or not than who gets the blue ribbon at the end. Cyclists don't get that but they do get extra money recognition and watches.

Either way you can't say cycling is absolutely not a team sport. You can't say its a total team sport either. The team plays a part but not all. Ithe answer my.friend, lies somewhere in the middle.
And yet I don't see anyone contesting that running isn't a team sport
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-13-12, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
So much for the "legendary" target: winning all three GT's.

Wiggins probably had a look at the Giro parcours and the impact of stage bonus seconds and decided chances are slim.

A a bit of a loss for the Giro if so.
If Rodriguez is absent Wiggins will be the best climber there!
Old 12-13-12, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
If Rodriguez is absent Wiggins will be the best climber there!
yeah, the concept still baffles me. Scarponi will not lie down as a dog however.