Sky - Page 990 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-13-12, 12:14

Quote:
ut usually the truth will out eventually, so if something untoward has happened at Sky then we will know at some point.

if big mig indurain can 21 years after his first win still be universaly ( outside of these nutjobs in the clinic) be remembered as a clean winner then absolutely anyone can get away with it.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-13-12, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
You seem to have failed to have read the post. Scarponi may have won the Giro but how doped up was he? Perhaps he is a top rider, perhaps he needed a little help and perhaps he needed a lot of help.

How much help, if, any did he have on the Tour? You have no idea.

So why not say MartinVickers or whomever the Martin from the forum was. Someone mistaking Martin for Tony Martin on a cycling forum. I am sure that is not what you intended...not like you to try and obfuscate.

Oh, and have you found that twitter from Tyler Hamilton (The professional cyclist) where he was mocking Bradley Wiggins (The professional cyclist)?
Also scarponi did the giro before the tour and only rode the tour for the thrill of it anyway, so he cannot have been at his best.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 12-13-12, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoriaz View Post
Calm down indeed.

Scarponi finished the Tour in 24th place. Richie Porte 22 minutes behind him in 34th place.

Poor Richie must have been too small for the finish line cameras and sensors to correctly place him given MS couldn't keep up.....
Unfortunately some people think that if a domestique hits the front, and a leader gets dropped, then said leader was "outclimbed" by the domestique... without taking into account that the domestique's goal was half-way up the climb, whilst the leader's goal surely is at the finish line.

Nonetheless, implying that Porte is doped because/if he outclimbed Scarponi is ridiculous, Scarponi had just done the Giro and wasn't close to top form. Also, he always sucks in whatever GT he does that isn't the Giro...
Old 12-13-12, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
The simple fact about Leeinders is that he was a doctor on the squad when doping was going on and tolerated. As Libertine himself points out this puts him fairly low down on the hit-list of notorious doping doctors. There are teams out there employing doctors that are a lot dodgier
As I recall there was more to Lienders than that. Not sure though. And didnt libertine say that there are doctors more notorious, not neccesarily dodgier. The dodgiest usually arent the most famous.
Old 12-13-12, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
if big mig indurain can 21 years after his first win still be universaly ( outside of these nutjobs in the clinic) be remembered as a clean winner then absolutely anyone can get away with it.
I was anticipating whistle-blowing at some point given people think that Sky are doping on a USPS-level. My take is it is impossible to keep a lid on these things forever. Lance's doping was so obvious, and there were so many rumours, anecdotal evidence and eye-witness accounts that meant it was only a matter of time while he tried to protect his legacy through mafia-style enforcement and court action. There's really none of that from Sky, beyond the performance and conspiracy theorists, but if it has been going on I'm sure whispers will start to emerge, kiss-and-tell stories in the press, then maybe dissaffected ex-staff members, and given the way Sky are ushering them out of the set-up I feel if there is a story it will emerge.

My opinion of course.
Old 12-13-12, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Couple of quick comments:

Sky has had something like 4 doctors on staff when they were looking for another one. Brailsford said they could not find a suitable doctor. Suitable for what? Saddlesore treatment? Then they ended up with Leinders...

If there is doping at Sky, and I firmly believe there was in 2012, it is likely to be a individually based program with as few as possible staff in the know, a doctor (for bag supervision, etc), a DS (for logistics eg motoman), and a coach (for performance management). Leinders, Yates and Sutton. More than those are not required and don't need to know, and that includes Brailsford who can sit behind his PC and direct the clean PR spin. The riders most likely were Rogers, Froome and Wiggins, and it would be better if they did not have confirmation verbally or visually of each others' doping. Unspoken rules only. Saves hassles later.
I don't normally agree with Tinman and I don't this time either BUT at least he has come out with a more believable scenario than "whole team doping" programme which wouldn't work for long because someone would fail a test or start talking.

The trouble with Tinman's senario is, what about the other Sky riders? For me, EBH + Richie P were just as impressive this year as Rogers, and Svitsov was supposted to be in the form of his life before he broke his collarbone, Stanners spent more time at the front of the peteton all season than anyone else and so it goes on. Sky's results up to the Olympics were consistently good: I can't remember even USPS ever having as good a season, apart from the Tour.

And including Sutton in the scheme doesn't make it any more believable either. That would tie in British track cycling and there are too many people involved with too much to loose that I just can't buy it.
Old 12-13-12, 14:10

Hi all new member here, long time lurker.
Someone may have posted this link before but anywayhttp://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfstats.html

IMO the winners avg speeds simply aren't coming down enough (or at all) to suggest clean winners of the tour - given the effects that PED have.
Old 12-13-12, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayRider View Post
Hi all new member here, long time lurker.
Someone may have posted this link before but anywayhttp://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfstats.html

IMO the winners avg speeds simply aren't coming down enough (or at all) to suggest clean winners of the tour - given the effects that PED have.
There are too many variables to look at the Tour as a whole and compare the average speed. Otherwise, in 81/82 riders must have been on a wonder drug prior to previous years to account for the sudden ramp up in speed.

btw Hello and welcome.
Old 12-13-12, 14:22

I agree its avg speed isn't everything but over a long period it is useful, especially seen as the Tour follows a similar format each year. The route in 2000 was actually quite similar to this year and Wiggins avg was actually faster than Armstrong's that year.
Old 12-13-12, 14:25

I would like to see how many watts Wiggo is pushing in the TTs compared to Armstrong.
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up