Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 12 17.14%
Cancellara 58 82.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-13-12, 17:33
Netserk's Avatar
Netserk Netserk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 10,054
Default

Boonen:


Canc:



Canc better in 2008-2011
Boonen better in 2012 and before 2008
__________________
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Landis
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up

Last edited by Netserk; 12-13-12 at 17:35.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-13-12, 17:43
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,378
Default

Tough one, on one hand you have Boonen's sprint which got him plenty of wins, on the other hand you have Cane's ability to obliterate a entire peloton and ride away from everyone.

I'll go with Cancellara, much more epic when he wins, especially when it is a road race.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-13-12, 19:31
Peyote Peyote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Close, but i voted Boonen

see link: http://translate.google.be/translate...jst%2F&act=url

List

Cycling Ranking 1946 - 2012
1 EDDY MERCKX (BEL) 2625,000
2 Bernard Hinault (Fra) 1685,833
3 Jacques Anquetil (Fra) 1410,000
4 Fausto Coppi (Ita) 1162,000 (1205,500)
5 Lance Armstrong (Vst) * 1157,917
6 Miguel Indurain (Spa) 1074,000
7 Felice Gimondi (Ita) 1068,500
8 Sean Kelly (Ier) 1065,500
9 Joop Zoetemelk (Ned) 1048,000
10 Francesco Moser (Ita) 979,500
11 Gino Bartali (Ita) 946,500 (1244,000)
12 Raymond Poulidor (Fra) 912,000
13 Louison Bobet (Fra) 902,000
14 Rik van Looy (Bel) 824,000
15 Roger de Vlaeminck (Bel) 823,500
16 Toni Rominger (Zwi) 755,083
17 Greg Lemond (Vst) 748,000
18 Jan Ullrich (Dui) 746,333
19 Laurent Jalabert (Fra) 707,000
20 Ferdi Kübler (Zwi) 698,000 (711,000)
21 Freddy Maertens (Bel) 670,167
22 Johan Museeuw (Bel) 628,250
23 Laurent Fignon (Fra) 623,500
24 Giuseppe Saronni (Ita) 608,000
25 Paolo Bettini (Ita) 590,917
26 Fiorenzo Magni (Ita) 588,000 (589,500)
27 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) 587,000
28 Erik Zabel (Dui) 580,917
29 Jan Janssen (Ned) 556,500
30 Luis Ocańa (Spa) 554,500
31 Pedro Delgado (Spa) 544,000
32 Cadel Evans (Aus) 543,000
33 Gianni Bugno (Ita) 539,250
34 Alberto Contador (Spa) 534,000
35 Lucien van Impe (Bel) 526,000
36 Herman van Springel (Bel) 520,000
37 Tom Boonen (Bel) 494,917
38 Charly Gaul (Lux) 494,000
39 Claudio Chiappucci (Ita) 487,000
40 Jan Raas (Ned) 487,000
41 Bernard Thévenet (Fra) 480,667
42 Alex Zülle (Zwi) 476,667
43 Rik van Steenbergen (Bel) 471,000 (489,000)
44 Davide Rebellin (Ita) 469,250
45 Stephen Roche (Ier) 465,333
46 Fabian Cancellara (Zwi) 458,000
47 Michele Bartoli (Ita) 453,500
48 Stan Ockers (Bel) 450,000 (455,500)
49 Charly Mottet (Fra) 441,917
50 Hugo Koblet (Zwi) 431,000
51 Hennie Kuiper (Ned) 429,500
52 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) 421,000
53 Moreno Argentin (Ita) 400,500
54 Fred de Bruyne (Bel) 397,250
55 Walter Godefroot (Bel) 391,000
56 Oscar Freire (Spa) 390,667
57 Federico Bahamontes (Spa) 389,500
58 Aleksandr Vinokoerov (Kaz) 388,000
59 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) 378,500
60 Mario Cipollini (Ita) 372,500
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-13-12, 19:36
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyote View Post
Close, but i voted Boonen

see link: http://translate.google.be/translate...jst%2F&act=url

List

Cycling Ranking 1946 - 2012
1 EDDY MERCKX (BEL) 2625,000
2 Bernard Hinault (Fra) 1685,833
3 Jacques Anquetil (Fra) 1410,000
4 Fausto Coppi (Ita) 1162,000 (1205,500)
5 Lance Armstrong (Vst) * 1157,917
6 Miguel Indurain (Spa) 1074,000
7 Felice Gimondi (Ita) 1068,500
8 Sean Kelly (Ier) 1065,500
9 Joop Zoetemelk (Ned) 1048,000
10 Francesco Moser (Ita) 979,500
11 Gino Bartali (Ita) 946,500 (1244,000)
12 Raymond Poulidor (Fra) 912,000
13 Louison Bobet (Fra) 902,000
14 Rik van Looy (Bel) 824,000
15 Roger de Vlaeminck (Bel) 823,500
16 Toni Rominger (Zwi) 755,083
17 Greg Lemond (Vst) 748,000
18 Jan Ullrich (Dui) 746,333
19 Laurent Jalabert (Fra) 707,000
20 Ferdi Kübler (Zwi) 698,000 (711,000)
21 Freddy Maertens (Bel) 670,167
22 Johan Museeuw (Bel) 628,250
23 Laurent Fignon (Fra) 623,500
24 Giuseppe Saronni (Ita) 608,000
25 Paolo Bettini (Ita) 590,917
26 Fiorenzo Magni (Ita) 588,000 (589,500)
27 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) 587,000
28 Erik Zabel (Dui) 580,917
29 Jan Janssen (Ned) 556,500
30 Luis Ocańa (Spa) 554,500
31 Pedro Delgado (Spa) 544,000
32 Cadel Evans (Aus) 543,000
33 Gianni Bugno (Ita) 539,250
34 Alberto Contador (Spa) 534,000
35 Lucien van Impe (Bel) 526,000
36 Herman van Springel (Bel) 520,000
37 Tom Boonen (Bel) 494,917
38 Charly Gaul (Lux) 494,000
39 Claudio Chiappucci (Ita) 487,000
40 Jan Raas (Ned) 487,000
41 Bernard Thévenet (Fra) 480,667
42 Alex Zülle (Zwi) 476,667
43 Rik van Steenbergen (Bel) 471,000 (489,000)
44 Davide Rebellin (Ita) 469,250
45 Stephen Roche (Ier) 465,333
46 Fabian Cancellara (Zwi) 458,000
47 Michele Bartoli (Ita) 453,500
48 Stan Ockers (Bel) 450,000 (455,500)
49 Charly Mottet (Fra) 441,917
50 Hugo Koblet (Zwi) 431,000
51 Hennie Kuiper (Ned) 429,500
52 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) 421,000
53 Moreno Argentin (Ita) 400,500
54 Fred de Bruyne (Bel) 397,250
55 Walter Godefroot (Bel) 391,000
56 Oscar Freire (Spa) 390,667
57 Federico Bahamontes (Spa) 389,500
58 Aleksandr Vinokoerov (Kaz) 388,000
59 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) 378,500
60 Mario Cipollini (Ita) 372,500
so according to this Evans is a better cyclist than Contador?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-13-12, 19:56
Peyote Peyote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
so according to this Evans is a better cyclist than Contador?
Yeah it doesn't look right but Evans is 5 years older then Contador. And Alberto lost many points... we all know why..
So it's difficult to compare both at this point.

Boonen and Cancellara are same age and started cycling around the same time. So they are comparable.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-13-12, 20:09
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyote View Post
Yeah it doesn't look right but Evans is 5 years older then Contador. And Alberto lost many points... we all know why..
So it's difficult to compare both at this point.

Boonen and Cancellara are same age and started cycling around the same time. So they are comparable.
Perhaps, just find these ranking rather difficult to take at face value.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-13-12, 20:29
Panda Claws's Avatar
Panda Claws Panda Claws is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,968
Default

I really don't see how Lance Armstrong can be above Sean Kelly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadel Evans
On the cycling side of life; our preseason training camp was very productive, good training, some time to get to know the new guys (great group we've got) and take care of many of the off-the-bike requirements of being a professional cyclist; testing new equipment, meeting with new partners and equipment suppliers, throwing oranges at Phil Gilbert, etc..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-13-12, 20:29
Panda Claws's Avatar
Panda Claws Panda Claws is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,968
Default

I really don't see how Lance Armstrong can be above Sean Kelly.

Especially now
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadel Evans
On the cycling side of life; our preseason training camp was very productive, good training, some time to get to know the new guys (great group we've got) and take care of many of the off-the-bike requirements of being a professional cyclist; testing new equipment, meeting with new partners and equipment suppliers, throwing oranges at Phil Gilbert, etc..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-14-12, 00:21
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,067
Default

Why do you need a poll if you're just going to compare results, that's easy.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-14-12, 01:35
ElChingon's Avatar
ElChingon ElChingon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: En el Internet, and Hiding from the UCI
Posts: 5,833
Default

Without the cobbles Boonen is like a bike with no wheels.
__________________
CyclingNews Forum Member Number 1. (verified)
All my posts are of my own opinion.
October 10, 2012 The Reasoned Decision
Points: 10 CN Infraction Points
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.