Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 199 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
I think Wiggins is making a mistake. Bonus seconds still would not have wiped out the TT gains. Maybe he is serious about helping Froome win the Tour like he said he would which I think Froome has earned.
I get the impression he is serious about pursuing his own interests, which is riding the schedule of his choosing with leadership roles at his own discretion, and will only ride for Froome at the Tour if Sky management demands it. If I were Froome I would not accept any role at the Giro, maintaining that the Tour is the season goal and while gladly sharing leadership with Bradley, would not hesitate to ride my own race, with no regards to Wiggins' potential difficulties. Froome's time is now and he deserves to have a grand tour that he can start in his best possible condition to win.

Wiggins did state that he was going to go for the Giro win in 2013 and now he's hedging on even participating in the Giro. Froome has to be steaming right now. I can see serious drama building for 2013. Should be fun!!
Old 12-13-12, 18:47

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Dumb move Wiggo...
Old 12-13-12, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Add another reason to dislike Wiggo, he already sidelined Froome in the first half of the 2011 Vuelta, and in the Tour this year.
Not only that, he actually argued repeatidly in pre Tour interviews when asked if Froome would have joint leadership, that a team can have only 1 leader.

His phrase was "if the team chooses me as the leader Chris will work for me and if they decide Chris should be the leader, then we will put all the effort behind him"- knowing full well of course that he was going to be chosen the leader.

So if Wiggins is for real now arguing that Sky can have 2 leaders next year then that is just ridiculous.

I say if because ill give him the benefit of the doubt until it happens.

And then afterwards Froomes girl got absolutely pounded on the internet by sexist pigs saying that she doesnt understand cycling becuase teams always choose 1 leader for the Tour de France. The example always cited afterwards was of UPS of course.

Quote:
I hope you educated those people, or did you just quietly laugh?
My hope was, and still is, that Wiggins will go for the Tour, and they can be get their education through experience
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 12-13-12 at 18:58.
Old 12-13-12, 19:05

as expected, only idiots believe W will not defend his Tour title. Poor CF, but he might have his chance though, when AC attack if only he can follow.

But one thing for sure, it will be another DRAMA filled SKY tour team, good news for the media and our entertainment
Old 12-13-12, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
Dumb move Wiggo...
Why?

He doesnt need to be in 100% top condition to beat Nibbles in the GC, Vuelta 2011 showed that.
Old 12-13-12, 19:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopass View Post
Why?

He doesnt need to be in 100% top condition to beat Nibbles in the GC, Vuelta 2011 showed that.
seriously?

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-13-12, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
seriously?
Ha lol it's pretty funny actually. Look at the giro '11 then
Old 12-13-12, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
I get the impression he is serious about pursuing his own interests, which is riding the schedule of his choosing with leadership roles at his own discretion, and will only ride for Froome at the Tour if Sky management demands it. If I were Froome I would not accept any role at the Giro, maintaining that the Tour is the season goal and while gladly sharing leadership with Bradley, would not hesitate to ride my own race, with no regards to Wiggins' potential difficulties. Froome's time is now and he deserves to have a grand tour that he can start in his best possible condition to win.
+10000

No wonder why Froome is so itchy to get 2013 going & part ways to join Vino.....

Astana 2014 will be "the Super Team" of them all
Old 12-13-12, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Not entirely. The newspapers too, but when it comes to thinking Wiggins is king for good, its mainly what the fans say.

At the olympics i head numerous people expouse confidence that Wiggins will easily retain the tour next year. 1 group i was sitting next to on the train expressed their regret at not making it to Paris for his win but decided they would definately go for it next year as no one could challenge him.
Another group at box hill were trying to calculate how many years until the next non British winner because from what they saw at the Tour no one can challenge Froome or wiggins for a while

And on the newspaper message boards ive been laughed at for saying wiggins will struggle to beat Contador next year because Contador off drugs will be struggling to finish the race.

Some of those "journalists" who write major op ed pieces about cycling now despite only knowing about 1 sport - football (eg martin samuel, supposed "sports writer of the decade" who made a laughable comparison of Hinaults and Lances alpe d huez climbs saying that a non dopers limit should be beating Hinault by 3 minutes maximum - ergo anything under 45 minutes on alpe - is doping), some of these journalists will express confidence that Britain will now dominate the Tour de France and hence cycling, but i think the ones who actually know a little about cycling know not to put too much pressure on their friend and just celebrate Wiggins recent win.
It will be a rude awakening for some islanders in july.
Old 12-13-12, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
+10000

No wonder why Froome is so itchy to get 2013 going & part ways to join Vino.....

Astana 2014 will be "the Super Team" of them all
Praise the lord!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs