Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 422 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Eddy also won a fistful of classics and even Six Day races on the track. He was successful in everything he attempted. That is why Contador can't be rated higher than Eddy or Hinault who also won world titles and classics although he could end up with a better Tour record and will still be considered one of the great grand tour riders. Coppi would also rate highly.
No one is arguing Alberto will ever be rated higher than Merckx or Hinault. It's obvious to everyone they are much, much better.
Old 12-13-12, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedelou View Post
He can surpass the cannibal in one aspect quite easily: winning the 3 gt more than once. I believe only Hinault has done that so far. Yet, Contador, like a few greats of the past, will have less wins that he could have acheived if he had a chance to compete. Barred from one tour because of his team (astana) and penalized for two other GT he still is among the top cyclists ever.
But again, that is possibly unfair to Merckx as the Vuelta overlapped with the Giro. And, from what I understand, in the 70s the Giro was bigger than the Tour.

He may have been 'penalised' but then again Coppi and Bartali lost some of their best years because of WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fausto_...risoner_of_war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino_Ba...ali_in_wartime
Old 12-13-12, 14:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
No one is arguing Alberto will ever be rated higher than Merckx or Hinault. It's obvious to everyone they are much, much better.
You canīt compare cycling from then till today, itīs miles apart.
Old 12-13-12, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
First when you said winning the triple that could easily be read as the triple crown which is often considered winning 2 tours and the worlds (Which Merckx did do) as well as 3 GTs. Both Hinaut and Merckx have Tour/Giro doubles and I think Hinaut did a Tour/Vuelta double.

However, Contador has nothing in the monuments stakes. Eddie won them all and many of them multiple times. Hinaut won most of them multiple times. Both won the worlds.

I would still put Contador behind both of them if he won all 3 GTs in a year even though it would be an amazing feat.
Nobody is talking about classics,I mean with "GT Triple" he would be best stage race rider of all time.And for the noncycling fan,usual population GT(or Tour) it is what matters,so for them he woul be best rider(except for belgians).And for me ,be one of the best its this quote from Angliru
Quote:
Part of greatness is the accomplishments/events that stick in your mind such that it plays back like a movie that has been permanently downloaded to your memory, leaving one with the ability to play back the details with remarkable clarity. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what? quintana is already better climber than froome. see final stages of the tour and he's only 23. quintana is the best climber I've sene since pantani. he will become a legend
I am a fan of Afrank's hyping posts!
Excuse me for my English
Old 12-13-12, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
The man changes his organics and nature to become a GT rider. Does it require less 'panache and passion'. Just say you don't like Wiggins because he doesn't give any climbing show. This would be quite honest.
Thats how I feel. I got alot of respect for his work to become a GT GC rider and for Sky as a team. But I just doesnt fancy his monotone "riding style". I just prefer more agressive riders - be it in the mountains or in the cobbles. Thats why I fx prefer Contador over Wiggins and Cancellara and Boonen over Pozatto. But that doesnt mean I dont respect Pozatto and Wiggins
Old 12-13-12, 17:21

Credit goes to rev krebs
Old 12-13-12, 19:37

Quote:
The man changes his organics and nature to become a GT rider. Does it require less 'panache and passion'. Just say you don't like Wiggins because he doesn't give any climbing show. This would be quite honest.
Airstream, not baiting or playing daft games this time...but your post tends to suggest you've never read anything about Wiggins or Sky. Brailsford works to numbers and Wiggo's transition is all about the numbers. He lost weight increased his power to weight ratios and did what he had to but while he may have an odd personality and loads of passion about the sport, Panache is something he is far, far short of.

Hitch's post, sums it up rather poetically, you couldn't insert Wiggins name inplace of Contadors and read without laughing. Don't get me wrong, his achievements are remarkable when you look at his background on the track but lets not lose sight of the fact that he won the Tour when the Great One (to quote Hitch) was absent and Andy Schleck was missing too, either of the two of them could have killed Sky in the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
The rest of the world sees things differently than we do,

They don't understand This Thing of Ours.

they have very basic and incredibly innacurate ideas of what cycling is, how it works, what is important, who watches it, even who participates.
And e they are spectacularly uninformed when it comes to doping.

They of course only care about 1 race.

But they are the ones who control the press, the media and hence the perception of the masses.

For me Contador always was the weapon with which we fight that other world view. The ambassador of our sport. The one who can achieve things by winning multiple Tours.

Thats why I call him "The Great One". Its a special relationship

The Tour de France its itself a underwhelming race that only takes up 3 weeks of the season, but we need someone to carry the flag, get their name out there and represent our sport. And contador, polite, talented, from a big cycling country that isnt France, is good representative.

The Tour is business. Its for that other world.

The rest of the year is for us We few, we happy few, we cycling fans.

www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
Old 12-13-12, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post

Credit goes to rev krebs
Now this, I like.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-13-12, 20:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriuscat View Post
Airstream, not baiting or playing daft games this time...but your post tends to suggest you've never read anything about Wiggins or Sky. Brailsford works to numbers and Wiggo's transition is all about the numbers. He lost weight increased his power to weight ratios and did what he had to but while he may have an odd personality and loads of passion about the sport, Panache is something he is far, far short of.

Hitch's post, sums it up rather poetically, you couldn't insert Wiggins name inplace of Contadors and read without laughing. Don't get me wrong, his achievements are remarkable when you look at his background on the track but lets not lose sight of the fact that he won the Tour when the Great One (to quote Hitch) was absent and Andy Schleck was missing too, either of the two of them could have killed Sky in the mountains.

Contador works 'to numbers' not less. He always keeps in secret his coaches' names, training plans and any numbers. ANY. And it is obviously no accident. Other thing is his physiology and talent let him ride in a spectacular fashion. Surely a 192 cm guy can not dance uphill. It is not his actual task.

Forum members just often write so to speak an agressive ride is strength and a defensive one is weakness and using this argument they try to disparage Sky and their merits in 2012. I strongly disagree. 'Defensive' riding often can crush all flesh as well. It is an enormous strength. Sadly, I speak very bad, but believe if I could I would have presented the opposite things in not less poetic way. That's all about expectionally emotional perception. The bolded is myth. I'd really like to see one's attack when the peloton pushed 1750 w/h.

It is like an eternal dispute. I don't get what jealosy (dislike towards Sky or something else) make you turn a blind eye on the fact that Sky (Froome) is on the same level or soo close that minimal weakness will become a defeat in the Tour.

Last edited by airstream; 12-13-12 at 20:12.
Old 12-13-12, 20:21

Quote:
Contador works 'to numbers' not less. He always keeps in secret his coaches' names, training plans and any numbers. ANY. And it is obviously no accident. Other thing is his physiology and talent let him ride in a spectacular fashion. Surely a 192 cm guy can not dance uphill. It is not his actual task.

Forum members just often write so to speak an agressive ride is strength and a defensive one is weakness and using this argument they try to disparage Sky and their merits in 2012. I strongly disagree. 'Defensive' riding often can crush all flesh as well. It is an enormous strength. Sadly, I speak very bad, but believe if I could I would have presented the opposite things in not less poetic way. That's all about expectionally emotional perception. The bolded is myth. I'd really like to see one's attack when the peloton pushed 1750 w/h.

It is like an eternal dispute. I don't get what jealosy (dislike towards Sky or something else) make you turn a blind eye on the fact that Sky (Froome) is on the same level or soo close that minimal weakness will become a defeat in the Tour.
Noone expects Wiggo to ride like Contador. But the thing is, I love Barcelone and I dislike Chelsea, not anything personal. I just prefer the aggressive/beautiful way Barca playes soccer compared to the way Chealsea won Chl. Same thing really. The agresssive/beautiful way always attracts more (non biased) fans.