McClown about CCN - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-14-12, 02:18

The sad truth in all this is that as much as he may make any rational person want to puke he is a consummate politician in the equivalent of a gerrymander. Cycling is stuck with him for quite a while longer.
Old 12-14-12, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Actually, he hired an Irish guy to help with PR. I don't have the link handy. No joke.

Nothing changed, no surprise.
That's hilarious! - Pat is a joke!
Old 12-14-12, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretch View Post
Cycling is stuck with him for quite a while longer.
Would not be so sure.

I would say Pat's position is becoming totally untenable. He is single handedly trying to defend all attacks, and further alienatating himself daily. Attacks are now coming from WADA, from CAS, from strong new interest groups (CCN), from some of the national Feds (eg his own Irish Fed), Katusha and Makarov (wait until Putin flexes his muscles), etc, etc.

Pat could be gone in a day. Which is why CCN has floated Greg as a credible interim successor. Because we don't need Pat and Hein to work one of their cronies in behind the scenes through the remaining supportive national feds.

The game is no longer whether Pat remains. It's who the successor will be and what plans for change will be carried forward. IMHO.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-14-12, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Quote:
“If they say our attitude was inadequate, we’ll take the necessary measures to ensure that this sort of thing won’t happen again in the future with a big name rider,” he said. “In the USADA report on Armstrong, there were many accusations that we reject. The UCI is serene and convinced that the independent commission will show that these allegations are not justified as the UCI has always been a pioneer in the fight against doping.

“I think there is enough proof that the state of cycling is completely different today to what it was in the Armstrong era.”
So, when you say something that happened with Armstrong (woops) wouldn't happen with another big name rider we have to ignore that you were attempting to delay admitting Contadors positive?
Well clearly he meant Armstrong and Contador........Wigans....if necessarily.

The UCI is "serene" huh? Where have I heard that expression before? Oh yeah, every doper who has failed a test and is waiting for his B result or hearing or cover up.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-14-12, 03:05

Phat is still talking tough, but his days are numbered. And it is not a very big number either.
Old 12-14-12, 03:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Would not be so sure.

I would say Pat's position is becoming totally untenable. He is single handedly trying to defend all attacks, and further alienatating himself daily. Attacks are now coming from WADA, from CAS, from strong new interest groups (CCN), from some of the national Feds (eg his own Irish Fed), Katusha and Makarov (wait until Putin flexes his muscles), etc, etc.

Pat could be gone in a day. Which is why CCN has floated Greg as a credible interim successor. Because we don't need Pat and Hein to work one of their cronies in behind the scenes through the remaining supportive national feds.

The game is no longer whether Pat remains. It's who the successor will be and what plans for change will be carried forward. IMHO.
Unfortunately i think Hein and Pat will have to be dragged out the door kicking and screaming. They have no intention of leaving honourably (not that is possible now anyway). Hein isn't even elected, Pat's elections have been gerrymandered in the same way as Blatter's (no other candidates etc.). I think they will try and ride it out until this internal audit/commission is done, try and take whatever positives they can get out of it (i.e cycling has done more dope tests than any other sport, biopassport bla bla blah) Big up these bits, try and paper over any weaknesses pointed out with a "we're not perfect but we'll address these issues etc."
The only thing that will get rid of them is if the massive stuff comes out in the audit but as others have pointed out they've had time to get the industrial shredder going before the commission starts and this is certainly not beneath their level to hide and bury the info the commission needs.

I agree that external forces are building up CCN, MPCC, WADA not happy etc. just not sure its enough to force the issue before the season is out or before the commission has published its findings. Do find it extraordinary though that they add to their own misery by not granting Katusha a licence and not give a reason for it (yet). Just seems particularly inept!!
Hopefully I'm wrong - just get the feeling of history repeating itself..
Old 12-14-12, 03:17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom375 View Post
Unfortunately i think Hein and Pat will have to be dragged out the door kicking and screaming. They have no intention of leaving honourably (not that is possible now anyway). Hein isn't even elected, Pat's elections have been gerrymandered in the same way as Blatter's (no other candidates etc.). I think they will try and ride it out until this internal audit/commission is done, try and take whatever positives they can get out of it (i.e cycling has done more dope tests than any other sport, biopassport bla bla blah) Big up these bits, try and paper over any weaknesses pointed out with a "we're not perfect but we'll address these issues etc."
The only thing that will get rid of them is if the massive stuff comes out in the audit but as others have pointed out they've had time to get the industrial shredder going before the commission starts and this is certainly not beneath their level to hide and bury the info the commission needs.

I agree that external forces are building up CCN, MPCC, WADA not happy etc. just not sure its enough to force the issue before the season is out or before the commission has published its findings. Do find it extraordinary though that they add to their own misery by not granting Katusha a licence and not give a reason for it (yet). Just seems particularly inept!!
Hopefully I'm wrong - just get the feeling of history repeating itself..
I agree. They're staying. They're not going anywhere.

They'll keep doing what they do best. Nothing. They don't need to do anything.

Hog and Lance are our only saviors.
Old 12-14-12, 03:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Pat could be gone in a day.
By what mechanism?
Old 12-14-12, 04:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post

Hog and Lance are our only saviors.
You are such a doofus sometimes.
I hope you are as wrong as you have been in the past on this one.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-14-12, 04:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretch View Post
By what mechanism?
Resign for a better IOC related gig. Or some cycling sports promotion role endorsed/contracted into with new successor UCI mgmt waiting in the wings.

Or a less likely option is that sufficient national feds will call an extraordinary GM and vote him out for a new mob.

We (I) don't know what's cooking in the background.

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”