New Innovative, Cool, Crazy, or jsut plain Dumb Cycling Equipment (Only) - Page 12 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 12-14-12, 05:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
Rode the SRAM XX1 and the Red Hydro disc last weekend out in CO both amazing.

Red hydro needs a few things worked out such as the paddle on the shifter is too wide IMHO. It can hit bars or fingers (if you hold hoods like that) at full compression. The tall hood cylinder ergo design was ok by me. a little more to hold if you ride CX in the hoods. I preferred it. possibly could tweak ergos a bit on it. but fix the throw on that lever or shorten the paddle.
how close are they to production of the hydro road levers?
Old 12-14-12, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
Shimano Di2? Pfaugh.

Campy EPS? Poserish.

Now *this* is the future:

Tiso 12-speed wireless shifting!

Tiso has always made some cool looking components, but every time I've been close to buying it a friend is just at their wits end with it and selling it due to it not being as precise as Campy, etc.

Let us know if you try it, interested on anyone's results with it.
Old 01-16-13, 01:25

Its finally going to see the light of day, or what ever that phrase is:

The Cardboard Helmet:

Its going for £79.99 (US$129) via: http://www.velorution.com/abus-krani...dboard-helmet/

So who's going to be the first one on the block? Or are you waiting for the TT model
Old 01-16-13, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwagmn View Post
how close are they to production of the hydro road levers?
Will be introduced at Interbike September 2012....

Doohh!!!

Interesting that the vast, vast majority of Euro cross riders(all?) still use cantis..no need for the instantaneous stop(slide) power plus the weight and complication in cross, particularly the really muddy conditions of late.

Got a few 'issues' with wet brakes and road..like boiling off the fluid in long descents. Enclosed reservoir(less cool), less fluid, smaller calipers, all problems not yet solved.
Old 03-09-13, 03:12

OK so not really new but a merge of two into a new product so it qualifies

Smart Cycling Helmet

Don't worry its not going to make decisions for you but what makes it smart is that it will incorporate the old fashioned HRM strap (the Bro) into the helmet using a device currently being used for pilots.

Its not quite a full fledged product just yet they need supporters and ditching the constantly forgotten HRM strap and merging it with another common biking contraption and another pro helmet factor (for the helmet lovers).

More info here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sm...cycling-helmet
Old 03-09-13, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post

Got a few 'issues' with wet brakes and road..like boiling off the fluid in long descents. Enclosed reservoir(less cool), less fluid, smaller calipers, all problems not yet solved.
I don't understand these 'issues'. Why are people going to boil the fluid in hydro road brakes? I've had my MTB discs literally red hot glowing in the dark, and I can't think of a situation where I would be braking as long or as hard on my road bike.
Boiling the hydraulic fluid in the line hasn't ever been an issue. In 6 years on the same brakes I've only had to bleed them once - and that was due to operator error, squeezed the lever when there were no pads in the caliper and popped a piston out.
"Enclosed reservoir(less cool), less fluid, smaller calipers" are all just assumptions, there's no reason why any of those things need to be the case.
Old 03-09-13, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsut4392 View Post
I don't understand these 'issues'. Why are people going to boil the fluid in hydro road brakes? I've had my MTB discs literally red hot glowing in the dark, and I can't think of a situation where I would be braking as long or as hard on my road bike.
Boiling the hydraulic fluid in the line hasn't ever been an issue. In 6 years on the same brakes I've only had to bleed them once - and that was due to operator error, squeezed the lever when there were no pads in the caliper and popped a piston out.
"Enclosed reservoir(less cool), less fluid, smaller calipers" are all just assumptions, there's no reason why any of those things need to be the case.
MTB and the 'energy' involved is much different than what is encountered in a long, fast decent on a road bicycle. PLUS enclosed reservoir, PLUS smaller caliper, smaller rotor, less fluid.

NOT 'assumptions' but what the shimano and sram testers have found. When shimano test guys 'test' road hydros, they wear full body armor like downhill MTB guys, because more than once, all the brake go away and they have to crash to stop.

shimano has had Di2(lots of room in the lever) and wet discs for how long? Why do ya suppose wet road brakes haven't been introduced, if it's all so easy?

Besides, disc brakes on a normal enthusiast's bicycle is just plain dumb anyway. More expensive, More complicated, heavier, requiring major modifications to the frame and fork. An answer to a not asked question and completely ignores the 'whys' disc brakes are on MTBs. Ya know, wet, sloppy, chance to wack a wheel, type stuff.

Last edited by Bustedknuckle; 03-09-13 at 14:30.
Old 03-09-13, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post

Interesting that the vast, vast majority of Euro cross riders(all?) still use cantis..no need for the instantaneous stop(slide) power plus the weight and complication in cross, particularly the really muddy conditions of late.
Ask J-Pow, Berden, and Summerhill how they liked their hydro disks. For the majority of the season they were loving them.

How about Don Myrah? Reigning Masters National, and World Champ! Looks like he's got the "instantaneous stop(slide) power plus the weight and complication in cross, particularly the really muddy conditions of late" all under control to me. Wouldn't you think?

Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico; 03-14-13 at 03:52.
Old 04-04-13, 01:04

Having an iPod/iPhone/iThing was considered too big, well now you can roll with your favorite book.

Old 04-04-13, 04:01