Moderators - Page 295 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 12-13-12, 22:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
There is the problem right there. The original mods would read the forum so they knew what was going on. Moderation by simply looking at reported posts does not work well. We get idiocy like ferryman thinking he needs to respond to a Sky homer complaining about The Hog patting himself on the back while mountainbpc has spent the last few weeks making one idiotic post after another.
I don't think it was idiocy but I hear you.
Old 12-13-12, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
You do know how to report posts to the mods, yes? Please feel free to do so.

Thank you.

Susan
I did, approximately two minutes before I posted in here.
Old 12-14-12, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
With all due regards, you well know that a skilled troll is difficult to "report". Trolling at its finest is an art form, and we have a few of these artists right here on CN forums. Subtle, twisted circular logic - but with a clear objective of destroying a thread and any intelligent discussion in order to defend/protect certain special interests.

A classic example is the famous LauraLyn. Had me fooled for a long time, yet he/she was finally banned for trolling. Any one post was almost impossible to report, it was l'ensemble de son œuvre that was so compelling.
The "troll" has only a very limited number of "fans"--people who respond to the "troll posts." The "fans" obviously love the "troll," because the fans faithfully respond to the "troll posts."

If the "fans" stop, the "troll" will stop.

Maybe we should ban the fans for feeding the troll? (SARCASM)
Old 12-14-12, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
A classic example is the famous LauraLyn. Had me fooled for a long time, yet he/she was finally banned for trolling. Any one post was almost impossible to report, it was l'ensemble de son œuvre that was so compelling.
Yet another obvious troll account, you must of missed the memo that was in our now locked thread on the matter.
Old 12-14-12, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
The "troll" has only a very limited number of "fans"--people who respond to the "troll posts." The "fans" obviously love the "troll," because the fans faithfully respond to the "troll posts."

If the "fans" stop, the "troll" will stop.

Maybe we should ban the fans for feeding the troll? (SARCASM)
This is indeed good advice, although the "fans" reference probably wasn't necessary.
Old 12-18-12, 19:11

If you are going to let Mountainman return from his ban and instantly start to clog a thread with nonsense, then at least open up the "This Forum Blows" thread in exchange.
Old 12-18-12, 20:09

Feel free to report any posts you think violate the forum rules. Much easier if we don't have to search for them. Thanks.

Further, if you want to open a thread with critiques and suggestions for the forum in this feedback forum, please do so. However starting a thread with a title "This forum blows" isn't productive...in fact it's counter productive.

We'd like to hear constructive feedback and answer questions. Rants and mis-informed speculation are a negative drain on the forum and responding to them isn't productive for us.
Old 12-19-12, 09:31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsa View Post
If you are going to let Mountainman return from his ban and instantly start to clog a thread with nonsense, then at least open up the "This Forum Blows" thread in exchange.
Spetsa. I put a post relevant to Ferrari on a thread about ferrari, saying in my view he was not sidestepping questions with weasel word answers in an interview. And also noting he intends "court" action - which leads to interesting speculation as to why he said "court" not "arbitration" That is a relevant post to that thread - even if it contains speculation why he said "court".

You may dislike it, if so challenge it with the alternative and why - not abuse the one who said it..

A variety of views are what forums are for.

I respect your view , even though I may disagree with it. I certainly do not challenge your right to hold it or express it, as you appear to challenge mine. I do challenge your right to insult as a response or attempts to try to silence my view as witness your post above.

On the other side of the very same coin - I dislike the stream of ad hominem attacks and flaming that occur because others disagree with the arguments. That is Lance Armstrong modus operandi, to attack the person who states a view, rather than challenge the view - and all in cycling should condemn that approach. Most of the posts in the clinic are abusive responses to posters whose view happens to disagree with the mob view.

The word "troll" on most forums means a poster who writes in order to incite argument - and I can state I have never done that. On here the word "troll" has been redefined to mean anyone who holds an opposing view.

I write because cycling has one more chance to clean up its act - and the usual "scapegoat a few, featherbed a few, call dissenters liars, then business as usual" vintage McQuaid fashion" does not cut it any more.

At least my posts contain some content.

The clinic is generally too long on negative opinion against the accused, and too short on actual facts or posts with content.

When I read it, I want to find out stuff I did not know, or areas worth looking at, or reasons that challenge the views that I hold. I often change views in response to reasoned argument - never in response to speculation, abuse or cat calling. It makes unpleasant and relatively useless reading to see personal attacks against posters and pure speculation against accused riders which in the main is what the clinic contains.

It is remiscinent of how Dickens " a tale of two cities" portrays those who watched knitting at the guillotine, speculating on who would be next for the chop.

Last edited by mountainrman; 12-19-12 at 12:19.
Old 12-19-12, 14:18

MM, You are long on BS. You admit in the Ferrari thread that you post lies, and the moderators do nothing about it. If your objective, which we all know it, is to ruin a thread that you do nat agree with, you win. Everybody is refraining from posting because of you and I guess that is fine with the mods. Goodbye everyone.
Old 12-19-12, 16:56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsa View Post
MM, You are long on BS. You admit in the Ferrari thread that you post lies, and the moderators do nothing about it. If your objective, which we all know it, is to ruin a thread that you do nat agree with, you win.
Not true in any aspect - although I will refrain from posting a reciprocal flame.

Last edited by mountainrman; 12-19-12 at 17:12.