Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 204 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-14-12, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicifan View Post
It doesn't make sense Sky sends Froome and Wiggins to Le Tour. None will support the other, and the team will be divided. Dave Brailsford will have to decide soon which one he is going to send, both must not be in the same Tour team. Wiggins should have never said he would ride Il Giro, and it all started there.
I imagine it will be similar to Basso and Nibali in their respective roles this year. Basso does the Giro full out and then supports Nibali in the Tour. He is not at his peak as has done the Giro but still gives some useful support.
Old 12-14-12, 13:12

It's never hurt to have two potential winners, i.e. when ig happened (85, 86, 09, 12) one of them won the Tour. The first week is a lottery, crashes in '10, '11, punctures '10 (LA), '12 (Froome, VDB2), etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Obviously Rogers and Porte were the mules but Froome did his fair share. I am not saying that Froome would have won the Tour. But if Contador disappears into the distance and Wiggins gets into trouble Froome won't wait and why should he ? Look what happened at the Vuelta in 2011. I agree that Froome has not proved yet that he is a grand tour winner even though his Vuelta 2011 and Tour riders were impressive. I put Froome in the same category as Andy. Has the potential but yet to win a grand tour on the road. Wiggins has improved over the last two years and it will be very interesting to see how much time Contador and the best climbers can actually put into Wiggins in the mountains. Maybe not as much as they hope to.
Yes that will be interesting, clearly Froome will be allowed to follow Bertie if he takes off...provided Wiggo still has someone to pace him, like Hinault/Lemond/Ruttiman (sp?) in 85/86, Sky just need to make sure they're in that situation.

Froome did a great 2012 TDF but I'm a bit annoyed at all the crocodile tears as to how he sacrificed himself and dragged Wiggo, that's complete BS for anyone who watched the race. A bit like Lemond in '85, he did zero work for Hinault and was just told just once by Koechli not to relay Delgado (Hinault had crashed very hard a few days before, the day Lemond attacked with a small group and took 2+ minutes back from his 5+ minute gap in GC) ultra basic tactics and now everyone and their dog states that Lemond had that tour stolen from him...
Old 12-14-12, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post

Froome did a great 2012 TDF but I'm a bit annoyed at all the crocodile tears as to how he sacrificed himself and dragged Wiggo, that's complete BS for anyone who watched the race.
Even if there was just one moment where Froome assisted Wiggins it could have made all the difference. As the facts stand I would have not liked to know what would have happened had Wiggins been by himself against VDB2 and Nibali on Stage 11.
Old 12-14-12, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
I imagine it will be similar to Basso and Nibali in their respective roles this year. Basso does the Giro full out and then supports Nibali in the Tour. He is not at his peak as has done the Giro but still gives some useful support.
Except that there was no drama between the two. I see implosion in the horizon for Sky, unless Brailsford manage to cut his losses soon enough.
Old 12-14-12, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Except that there was no drama between the two. I see implosion in the horizon for Sky, unless Brailsford manage to cut his losses soon enough.
Froome is pretty mellow, but Wiggins is one mean machine. Throw in their partners and you have a lethal mix. Froome will probably keep backing down, but he may get tired of all the rubbish and give it to Wiggins. We can only hope
Old 12-14-12, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Great reason to judge about one's racing 'brains'. This is called diligence and nothing more. Show me anyone of big guns who didn't make mistakes with estimating his own capacities uphill. They don't exist. The sport is inevitably conjugated with such flaws.
I agree with you.
Old 12-14-12, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
Perhaps to another grand tour contender, but there are plenty of times that Brad has worked for teammates, EBH and Cav spring to mind.
Doing a 30" leadout isn't exactly the same sacrifice as being a mountain superdom.

Last edited by Ferminal; 12-14-12 at 14:58.
Old 12-14-12, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Doing a 30" leadout isn't exactly the same sacrifice as being a mountain superdom.
So you call the work that Wiggins did at the Olympic RR a 30 second leadout. He was immense that day even though he knew it could hurt his chances for gold in the ITT.
Old 12-14-12, 15:32

Do I need to repeat myself?

So far as a superdom in GTs, he's 0-1.
Old 12-14-12, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richeypen View Post
So you call the work that Wiggins did at the Olympic RR a 30 second leadout. He was immense that day even though he knew it could hurt his chances for gold in the ITT.
His biggest competitors got eliminated before the time trial. What risks?
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week