Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: The Better Overall Rider, Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 12 17.14%
Cancellara 58 82.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-14-12, 14:18
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
Without the cobbles Boonen is like a bike with no wheels.
Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-14-12 at 14:27.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-14-12, 14:35
TeoSheva's Avatar
TeoSheva TeoSheva is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,848
Default

Īsn't Gilbert the best?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-14-12, 14:44
Pentacycle's Avatar
Pentacycle Pentacycle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.
Has Boonen ever done this?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-14-12, 14:47
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Has Boonen ever done this?
Why would he? He can sprint.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-14-12, 14:53
the asian's Avatar
the asian the asian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colombo
Posts: 3,258
Default

Cancellara shades it for me.

If he ever becomes world champion on the road, would be a clear winner. That's the main thing Tom's got over him.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-14-12, 18:17
Matthijs Matthijs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Pro-Boonen: 3xRVV, 4xPR, 1xWC RR, green jersey

Pro-Cancellara: 1xRVV, 2xPR, 4xWC TT, 1xOlympic gold TT 1xMS
main differences:
Boonen +2Rvv, +2PR, WC, green jersey

Cancellara +MSR, 4TT WC + olympic TT

People can argue MSR is nearly a WC. But how can people argue TT WC is the same as winning a Monument??? not so many years ago their wasn't even an TT WC.

The rest, Tour de Suisse, 3x Gent-Wevelgem is peanuts anyway compared to their best wins.

Last edited by Matthijs; 12-14-12 at 18:20.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-14-12, 18:26
Matthijs Matthijs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Pro-Cancellara: 1xRVV, 2xPR, 4xWC TT, 1xOlympic gold TT and 3th in RR, 2xE3, 1xMS, 1xTDS, 1xTA, stages vuelta, 8 stages Tdf (btw a lot of days in yellow).
Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-14-12, 18:27
Gloin22 Gloin22 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Its clear. If there is a 3rd place in your very best results you're not the greatest
We're not comparing him to the greatest. Just to Boonen...

And going by the poll, I think we have a clear winner
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-14-12, 18:29
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
We're not comparing him to the greatest. Just to Boonen...

And going by the poll, I think we have a clear winner
Yeah, but Bush also got re-elected if we're going by the polls.

Anyway I'm not voting because I have a biased opinion. I don't really care about time trials, I grew up on one day races and the Grand Tours. I don't even think a WC TT is half as important as a WC RR.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-14-12 at 18:31.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-14-12, 18:30
Bushman Bushman is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Again this nonsense.

- World champion on the road: much better than WC in the TT.
- Green jersey in the Tour + 6 Tour stages.
- 2 Vuelta stages.
- Second and third in Milan-San Remo.
- Second in Paris-Tours after an impressive race from him.
- World champion TTT: least important WC, but it's not on cobbles is it?
- 7 stage race wins: 4x Tour of Qatar(good field and wind plays an important role), 1x Tour of Belgium, 1x Tour de Picardie, 1x World Ports Classic(good field and wind played a big role.)
- Second to Cancellara in the Vuelta prologue. 11th in the longer Vuelta time trial where he crashed.
- Belgian champion in Aywaille, beating Philippe Gilbert.

And he could've won more green jerseys if it wasn't for all his bad luck in the Tour.
Also better than 4x WC tt?

Cancellara could also have won some more classics if not for his bad luck
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.