National Football League - Page 190 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-11-12, 13:48

And Brady is only 35! He could be doing this another 5 years or more. Then OFC Peyton too, who has brought Denver maybe further than initially expected compared to where we initially thought the Pats would be.

Some really big games this week #15. Maybe more on that later.
Old 12-12-12, 13:22

If you're curious about the state of testing for HGH in the NFL, here's a link that explains: LINK

This is an area where the NFLPA provides too much protection for players (maybe that's a bad way of saying it) or is not interested enough in doing the right thing.
Old 12-12-12, 16:31
Administrator

The NFL seems to be in a position of having a system that merely controls the amount of doping to keep it from being excessive so no one falls over dead, or is so jacked up they maim each other. I love the NFL, but really they don't do nearly enough. About the best you could say is that it's likely there are several clean players able to compete, depending on the position. And this of course doesn't include what the team trainers and doctors legally give players. Toradol for example is probably given to a third of the players in the NFL, and it basically replaces cortisone, which may still be allowed anyway. Not a whole lot has changed since North Dallas Forty in some ways. It's just a more refined system. Even with the Toradol, it's as if they saying it's a non-narcotic, NSAID, but it's a very strong drug used in ER's, and for the NFL it's basically controlled and administered by teams so they don't end up with another Kenny Easley.

Twenty years ago Bill Walsh wanted teams to have college sized rosters, with one reason to help players heal from injuries naturally instead of constantly trying to shuffle players, or have them play hurt. He may have been on to something.
Old 12-13-12, 17:10

Thanks to Alpe, 3man and Merckx for the as ever enlightening input! I was more than pleased to end up on 11-5 in view of some of the very strange results last week - like the Bolts winning and Atlanta and Chicago losing.

RG3, thank God, will be playing!

CIN @ PHI - The Eagles might steal another one but I'm not picking them

NYG @ ATL - Hoping the Falcons can do us a big favor!
DEN @ BAL - Tough call, Ravens need this one more
GB @ CHI - Bears collapse to continue
WAS @ CLE - RG3 plays, Skins roll on!
IND @ HOU - Texans need to recover from their Foxboro embarrassment
JAC @ MIA - Fins too good for Jags at home
TB @ NO - Saints should edge this at home
MIN @ STL - Very tricky, home team edge
DET @ ARI - A lock, surely?
SEA @ BUF - Another lock, surely?
CAR @ SD - Can Bolts shock the world and win two in a row?
PIT @ DAL - Head says Cowgirls, heart wants them to lose
KC @ OAK - Yes, I'm picking the Raiders
SF @ NE - Foxboro in December = only one winner

NYJ @ TEN - Another MNF game nobody's waiting for
Old 12-13-12, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Wow what a thumping by the Pats. If the season ended today... But it doesn't end today. New England has a history of being great in December. Two years ago they demolished the Jets in December on way to a 14-2 season, only to lose to the same Jets, at home in the playoffs. So, let's see what the playoffs bring. But on this night, sheer precision.

Agree with the ESPN guys. Brady for MVP.

Houston has a chance to bounce back, but right now look like Atlanta of the AFC. Take that for what you may.
Houston has big problems that have been exposed. The last 4 or 5 games have shown their weaknesses if anybody was paying attention.

The D backfield is a sieve, there is hardly any pass rush. Teams have figured out if they stop Watt, it is a field day. Any team with a decent passing game will exploit that defense. Joseph still is not well IMO. Losing Cushing was a very big blow, and Barwin is worthless. Doubt he gets resigned next year unless he gets a big pay cut. The guru Wade Phillips has had the curtain opened on him.

Schaub has played in 5 prime time games this year, and they are the 5 worse performances of the year for him. No rating over 80 in any of those games. He is a choker.

Kubiak plays not to lose, and is no motivator. It is a total embarrassment to not only get whacked once on prime time this year, but twice. Inexcusable.

They very easily could have lost to Jax, Det, and they held on with Denver and looked like **** against Chicago. They could easily be 9-4 or 8-5 right now. I would take Atl over Houston because Ryan, White, and Jones would have a field day.

So, add up conservative non-motivating coach, beaten up defense with poor coverage, and a QB that doesn't show up for big games and it does not equal superbowl, even if they get home field throughout.

Would anybody with any brains pick Houston over either Denver or NE, no matter where they played in the playoffs?

Texans are getting raped on Houston sports talk all week.
Old 12-13-12, 23:11
Administrator

Good post Chris. Losing Cushing was obviously a big blow. ESPN was showing stats since he got hurt and it showed what a big loss he was. Agree Kubiak is too conservative. Sean Payton he's not.

I like Nick Foles, maybe for Philly's future, and think tonight may be close. But I'm going with Cincy. Other picks hopefully later tonight.
Old 12-13-12, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Good post Chris. Losing Cushing was obviously a big blow. ESPN was showing stats since he got hurt and it showed what a big loss he was. Agree Kubiak is too conservative. Sean Payton he's not.

I like Nick Foles, maybe for Philly's future, and think tonight may be close. But I'm going with Cincy. Other picks hopefully later tonight.
Nah, Foles will fold. He is not the one. Philly has major problems. I wonder if Gruden can be talked out of the box to coach them next year, though that would surely **** ESPN off big time after their recent changes for his benefit.

I will take Philly tonight.

It is unfortunate the Texans are good enough to let Kubiak keep his job. A team with that talent getting whacked like that is all on the coach. Plus, McNair is a wingnut with the good old boy network in place and Kubiak is his boy, and the group is rounded out with hometown boy of the simple legend for DC. They've got a template on "what type of players they want there", wink wink. Funny that Smith is there, the token one. The shield. He is doing a good job though obviously. He laps it up in that suite with Mcnair.

They just gave Schaub $62 million for 5 years. He aint going anywhere. The rubes in Houston gotta believe. You know there is a church just about on every corner down here, don't you?
Old 12-14-12, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
RG3, thank God, will be playing!
Just heard a few moments ago on NFL Radio with John Madden that RG3 playing will be a game day decision. One can hope RG3 can go! Below is why I say HOPE... my final NFC East Projections (based on a healthy enough RG3):

NFC EAST FINAL PROJECTIONS
Team (Current record) Current Divisional record
Giants (8-5) Div 2-3
NYG at ATL
NYG at BAL .............. BAL is reeling
NYG vs PHI (div) ...... Foles may help reeling PHI, but not enough
Final Overall & Divisional Records: 10-6, Div 3-3

Redskins (7-6) Div 3-1
WAS at CLE ............. this will not be easy at CLE
WAS at PHI (div)
WAS vs DAL (div)
Final Overall & Divisional Records: 10-6, Div 5-1

Cowboys (7-6) Div 3-2
DAL vs PIT
DAL vs NO
DAL at WAS (div)
Final Overall & Divisional Records: 9-7, Div 3-3

Dallas will be out of it. But I figure the Giants and Skins will end up with the same overall record, but (with RG3 playing) the Skins should be division champs by virtue of their better division record compared to the Giants. Skins do need to win out though. They can do it.
Old 12-14-12, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Houston has big problems that have been exposed. The last 4 or 5 games have shown their weaknesses if anybody was paying attention.

The D backfield is a sieve, there is hardly any pass rush. Teams have figured out if they stop Watt, it is a field day. Any team with a decent passing game will exploit that defense. Joseph still is not well IMO. Losing Cushing was a very big blow, and Barwin is worthless. Doubt he gets resigned next year unless he gets a big pay cut. The guru Wade Phillips has had the curtain opened on him.

Schaub has played in 5 prime time games this year, and they are the 5 worse performances of the year for him. No rating over 80 in any of those games. He is a choker.

Kubiak plays not to lose, and is no motivator. It is a total embarrassment to not only get whacked once on prime time this year, but twice. Inexcusable.

They very easily could have lost to Jax, Det, and they held on with Denver and looked like **** against Chicago. They could easily be 9-4 or 8-5 right now. I would take Atl over Houston because Ryan, White, and Jones would have a field day.

So, add up conservative non-motivating coach, beaten up defense with poor coverage, and a QB that doesn't show up for big games and it does not equal superbowl, even if they get home field throughout.

Would anybody with any brains pick Houston over either Denver or NE, no matter where they played in the playoffs?

Texans are getting raped on Houston sports talk all week.
Agree with that. Apparently so does John Madden. Few moments ago on NFL Radio, Madden was saying behind the elite QBs of the NFL (e.g. P Manning & Brady) that the 4 QBs in the on-deck circle (so to speak, meaning they are not quite elite yet) are 1) Matt Ryan, 2) Joe Flacco 3) Matt Schaub, and 4) ... I forgot who they said 4 was... I think Rogers, but that is beside the point here. The reason Madden named those 4 was their inability to bring their team back from behind when down by 2 or more scores. Houston's defensive inability to stop great teams also makes it tough on Schaub and the Houston offense to come back. Houston's D needs more stops (prevent scores).
Old 12-14-12, 19:24
Administrator

Madden is right. This is also why Alex Smith got benched in SF. Aaron Rodgers has the tools to come back like that, but statistically he hasn't often. He has about a third the 4th quarter comebacks that Eli Manning does for example, and I still don't put Eli in the same category as Brady, PM, or Brees.

When I last talked to Brock, his inside line was that Gruden wasn't going to come back to the NFL for a while, maybe ever. Tony Dungee was completely retired. But Bill Cowher was quietly in the wings waiting for the right team to pick up. There were rumors of him at San Diego last year if Jeff Fisher didn't end up there. But now that Norv has to be fired, he could go there, or maybe Philadelphia next year? We'll see. Imagine Ken Wisenhunt being fired in AZ, and both he and Cowher ending up together again...

Foles threw some nice passes, but he did somewhat fold. Actually, the Eagles just stink. Terrible on defense, just terrible. Foles has the size and pocket passer style to make it in the NFL. He was a beast in the Pac-12 on an average Arizona team, but in the NFL he needs to be quicker on decisions, and learn to move in the pocket to keep plays alive. The fact he's 6'6" and 245 means he could make that happen, similar to how Big Ben plays, but we'll see.

If I were a betting man, I'd say RGIII will start this Sunday. I think this is a risky game though. People look at the Browns and think of them as one of the weak teams in the NFL. But they are playing much better of late, winning 3 of 4 and 4 of 6. Richardson has been uneven, but the team has learned to use him more effectively, Weeden isn't making nearly as many mistakes as he did early in the season, and the once porous defense has stepped up.

I like your predictions on the NFC East, on3m@an@rmy (why not 1ManArmy? It's certainly easier to type!). The thing is, whoever loses this weekend is going to be on the outside looking in. I happen to think though that all three teams will win. Something in my gut tells me the Giants will have an easier time beating the Falcons than they will the struggling Ravens. The final in Washington vs, Dallas could be the decider.