National Football League - Page 191 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-14-12, 19:38

Now the NFL is thinking expanding the playoffs. That's a big mistake in my opinion because I think there's already too many teams in the playoffs as it is.

Meanwhile I'm not convinced RG III will be starting Sunday against the Browns. Vegas oddsmakers don't have a line, and the only thing for sure coming out of Redskins Park is that they will keep the Browns guessing.
Old 12-14-12, 19:53
Administrator

Some excellent games this week. If you were ever to get NFL Rewind or Red Zone (no, not free, sorry, but not expensive) this is the week.

NYG @ ATL - Giants play up for big games, Falcons overrated. But they could be extra motivated here, having been repeatedly beaten by the Giants. I still pick NY.
DEN @ BAL - Denver keeps winning, Baltimore in trouble. Lewis may suit up, but not likely play. Suggs to suit up, and probably play (though still hurt). Broncos defense enough to slow Ravens, and passing offense enough to light up Ravens depleted secondary.
GB @ CHI - Packers win, even if Matthews and Woodson don't play. They are gelling, and the Bears too hurt and on a slide.
WAS @ CLE - If RG3 plays and can play 100%. Otherwise, Browns. This is a very risky game. Browns not the same team in the first half of the season. They could actually be good next year.
IND @ HOU - After being blown out by GB, Houston bounced back and whipped Baltimore. After being blown out by NE... Plus, Indy not good on the road, and has squeaked by some wins.
JAC @ MIA - Home team, Jax in trouble.
TB @ NO - Both teams with problems, but Saints at home, barely. Their defense against the pass is awful, but Freeman a mistake prone QB. So who knows?
MIN @ STL - Went with home team, but this could go either way. StL may have enough D to slow Peterson, and Ponder can't win the game.
DET @ ARI - Lions have lost too many close games, not here. Their mistake prone defense won't be an issue against Cards anemic offense.
SEA @ BUF - Seattle iffy on road, but Buffalo the weaker team, no doubt. I don't see Buffalo putting up many points against this defense. This is going to be a test for Wilson though, especially if the game is close late. The weather calls for it to be wet and windy. Lynch may rush for 150 yards.
CAR @ SD - Went with home team, but Chargers capable of losing any game. They have more good players, but that means nothing.
PIT @ DAL - Dallas too unpredictable, but at home. Steelers still too banged up, inconsistent. It's an issue of which team shows up? Steelers better coached, but Cowboys more healthy, more tools.
KC @ OAK - Both teams have so many problems. Went with the Raiders at home, as I don't see the Chiefs scoring much.
SF @ NE - Game of the week? Brady MVP, Kaep back to earth. If this is a double digit win, look for a lot of talk about Alex Smith unless Kaep plays very well. Out of all the ESPN NFL experts, only Wickersham picks SF. But he's also the guy with the best overall record. SF front four MUST put pressure on Brady, or 49ers give up 30+ points.
NYJ @ TEN - Jets have eeked out some wins of late, but Titans have an equal amount of problems.
Old 12-15-12, 00:21

Hi...

Was in Africa almost two months. Was great sometimes (you guys know ), OTOH i just survived. So happy to be back in the 1st world.

So what? Only 10 pages since my last post. You guys got lazy

Nothing changed: I stand by my SB-Pick HOU-SF (only because NE is jinxed in the playoffs since the cheating scandal happened in 2007. You guys know, i think the NFL donīt let it happen for the Pats to prevail at least once more. Even tough i love their passing ways. Thatīs my style. Explosive offenses, big leads, and then running down the clock.)

Alpe you won (Luck isnīt a bust). But i won too. What the hell is going on? RG3 the super human. I canīt remember any player like him. Maybe Bo Jackson, Carl Lewis, Babe Ruth. This young man is awesome beyond all i expected...
I knew he is great when i saw only 15 mins of him throwing darts in the Saints game in week one, when even Brees looked like a school boy compared to him.
But i didnīt expect him to shatter the (effieciency) rookie records of Marino and McMahon. I am stunned...
Old 12-15-12, 00:57

The true Power-Rankings by Advanced Stats (i can´t praise them enough, even tough Y/PP, like i do, would be enough )
No need to mention they picked CAR by a good margin over ATL last week, but i do it anyway.

1 DEN
2 SF
3 CAR
4 SEA
5 HOU
6 NE
7 NYG
8 ATL
9 WAS
10 GB
11 CIN
12 DET
13 STL
14 CHI
15 PIT
16 DAL
17 TB
18 MIA
19 NYJ
20 NO
21 BAL
22 BUF
23 CLE
24 SD
25 IND
26 MIN
27 TEN
28 PHI
29 OAK
30 KC
31 ARI
32 JAC

Also not to mention, they called for ATL to bust (as they did) in the playoffs early in 2010 and 2011. And i have to admit, they had the NYG on 4th last year (before the playoffs). Chapeau! As i said, can´t praise them enough...

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-15-12 at 01:00.
Old 12-15-12, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
When I last talked to Brock, his inside line was that Gruden wasn't going to come back to the NFL for a while, maybe ever. Tony Dungee was completely retired. But Bill Cowher was quietly in the wings waiting for the right team to pick up. There were rumors of him at San Diego last year if Jeff Fisher didn't end up there. But now that Norv has to be fired, he could go there, or maybe Philadelphia next year? We'll see. Imagine Ken Wisenhunt being fired in AZ, and both he and Cowher ending up together again...

Foles threw some nice passes, but he did somewhat fold. Actually, the Eagles just stink...

I like your predictions on the NFC East, on3m@an@rmy (why not 1ManArmy? It's certainly easier to type!)...
Always nice to hear a vets take. Thanks for that. On Gruden... I actually like him in the booth and would miss him. He seems to be enjoying broadcasting, so why not stay put? Certainly a lot less stressful.

U got that right about the Eagles. Don't think I've witnessed a team self destruct like that. Ever. Foles could be their QB of the future though.

My handle? It was Call-Of-Duty inspired, which I used to play a lot, but not much anymore. My job in real life involves computers and I have more username/passwords than you can shake a stick at. So when I was signing up to this forum I just thought of something that would be easy to remember and in my head I could hear "I'm a blank blank blank" going through my head from the COD play. But 3man works, as Amster often uses. I don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac View Post
Now the NFL is thinking expanding the playoffs. That's a big mistake in my opinion because I think there's already too many teams in the playoffs as it is.
I don't think there are too many in playoffs as is, but I definately agree we don't need more playoff games.

I've heard about the league expanding the number of teams as well. I'm not in favor of more teams because I think it would dilute the talent across the league and teams would not be as good. You'd still have some great teams, but most teams would be hurt and the level of play would deteriorate. I think the biggest hit if the league expanded the number of teams would be depth. The kind of depth that allows a team to plug in a second or third guy without losing too much in performance. Weakening the depth would require teams to stay healthy, and in this day that's just not going to happen often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxyBrown1111 View Post
So what? Only 10 pages since my last post. You guys got lazy

Alpe you won (Luck isnīt a bust). But i won too. What the hell is going on? ...
Better to be lazy than kissin camels!

Hey, you all lost! 2 words. Russell Wilson. But you are in good company since even Madden said "Nobody saw that (Wilson) coming".
Old 12-15-12, 01:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
Better to be lazy than kissin camels!
There was no camels (i smoked cigaretts called "sportsman" LOL).

BTW, I wasnīt in the north of africa, where camels are famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
Hey, you all lost! 2 words. Russell Wilson. But you are in good company since even Madden said "Nobody saw that (Wilson) coming".
Thatīs true. Even Wilson is up there in posting amazing rookie effieciency numbers. OTOH, nobody is close to RG3...

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-15-12 at 01:41.
Old 12-15-12, 01:39

Quote:
The true Power-Rankings by Advanced Stats (i canīt praise them enough, even tough Y/PP, like i do, would be enough )
No need to mention they picked CAR by a good margin over ATL last week, but i do it anyway.

1 DEN
2 SF
3 CAR
4 SEA
5 HOU
6 NE
7 NYG
8 ATL
9 WAS
10 GB ...
Oooh! I'm turnin into a rappah! Seattle ahead of that bunch? Like HOU, NE, ATL (well ok, maybe NY, WAS, & GB). That's quite a surprise, while I like it, because Seattle has NOT proven themselves to be consistent on the road yet. But I like!

Carolina #3? Are you being sarcastic? What dope are they on? "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs! You kiddin me? Playoffs?"
Old 12-15-12, 01:45

Quote:
There was no camels (i smoked cigaretts called "sportsman" LOL).

BTW, I wasnīt in the north of africa, where camels are famous.
Ok, I give. I lost that last one about the kissin camels.

But don't tell me you do cancer sticks? A cyclist? Well, would not be the first time I saw someone riding while puffing at the same time.
Old 12-15-12, 01:45

Itīs not my numbers. Itīs those of Advanced Stats.
But they are more right than wrong. CAR is pretty good in Y/PP, but not at play-calling. Not that i watched the games, i wasnīt there, had better things to do, but i heared they lost all the close games thanks to moronic and timid play calling in the 4th Qtr.! Add in bad luck (remember that plays a big part in NFL games) and there you have teams under or overperforming relative to their talent.
Old 12-15-12, 01:47

You gotta point there.

BTW: welcome back & nice chatting with ya.

Last edited by on3m@n@rmy; 12-15-12 at 01:49.