National Football League - Page 192 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-15-12, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
Ok, I give. I lost that last one about the kissin camels.

But don't tell me you do cancer sticks? A cyclist? Well, would not be the first time I saw someone riding while puffing at the same time.
So i have more in common with Cipollini and Alex Higgins... Anyway everybody has its weaknesses. I am not proud of it.
Old 12-15-12, 01:57

Quote:
You gotta point there.

BTW: welcome back & nice chatting with ya.
Thank you. Will be intersting playoffs. I will be there in full mood. After that iīve got to go back to the beach.
BTW, my daily food was this :

Old 12-15-12, 02:20

My picks:

NY Giants at Atlanta: NYG, but not b/c of Eli, but the talent around him...
Minnesota at St. Louis: SL, running means nothing, passing efficiency everything (not that SL is any good there, but MIN is simply terrible)
Jacksonville at Miami: obvious pick (they fail most of time )
Green Bay at Chicago: I pick GB since CHI is really bad at Pass-Efficieny (as expected by me after all the Martz haters got their wish; an even worse offense)
Washington at Cleveland; obvious, but only if RG3 survived the cheap shot
Denver at Baltimore; natural pick
Indianapolis at Houston ; no doubt
Tampa Bay at New Orleans; another road tipp, hope i don´t have to pick more...
Detroit at Arizona; OMG, another road pick
Carolina at San Diego; and just another one
Seattle at Buffalo; and yet another one, is there no quality home team this week?
Pittsburgh at Dallas; here we go
Kansas City at Oakland; KC drafted QB´s havn´t won a start in 25 years!
San Francisco at New England; NE b/c of Beli-Cheat. He´s the only HC whose teams outperform their talent. He´s the (RS-)master
NY Jets at Tennesse Homefield-Advantage

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-15-12 at 02:30.
Old 12-15-12, 06:36
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, you all lost! 2 words. Russell Wilson. But you are in good company since even Madden said "Nobody saw that (Wilson) coming".
Uh, you must have forgotten that the first and maybe only person to see him was none other than Gruden. He was impressed with him at the Gruden rookie camp, and on draft day when asked about the plethora of talented QB's and the focus on Luck and RGIII (and Tannehill and Weeden), Gruden's exact words were "I like Russell Wilson." Gruden may be a little goofy at times, but he really knows the game and has a crystal ball when it comes to talent.

Speaking of, I can't embed or save it, but watch this little clip on Wilson's Unexpected Journey. Very amusing, and I fear Russell may end up with a new nickname!

Welcome back Foxxy. Let's see, Carolina at 4-9 ranks 3rd, while Indy and their bust QB at 9-4 ranks 23rd. But hey, Carolina has a better YPP! Riiight. Anyone want to make a bet as to who is going to actually win more games this season? And since I'm poking fun at you, what do you think about Michael Vick bouncing back with all that talent he has? Sorry, you've been gone so long, I had to slap you on the back right while you were sipping your grog.

Agree with most of your picks though! If you've read a few of my posts I too was one of the first to see through Atlanta, and I also see the Giants as a real threat, though not because of Eli. They have great receivers, excellent pass protection, and can defend the pass fairly well. That's a good recipe in this league for winning big games. I don't know about SF though. Well see, and we'll know more this weekend. And I don't see Houston getting to the big game. Two bad blowout losses to key teams, and the loss of Cushing was huge. I'll still be surprised though if Denver is the team from the AFC. Something just doesn't seem right to me about them winning big games. Or playoff games. I still like NE in the AFC, and if the Steelers can magically heal in two weeks. I like NYG, SF or even GB in the NFC if they can get healthy. Seattle looks dangerous. Would not want to play them.

Excellent analysis on NFC/AFC Playbook on the NFL channel of SF vs. NE. They talked about some of the positives and negatives of Kaep, and what SF's pass rush and LB's need to do to not get sliced and diced by Brady. Also that NE's key is going to not just be Brady, but in their linebackers who are stepping up to stop the run, and pass cover well of late. This is the game where we'll know if pulling Smith for Kaep was a good idea, or not.

Interesting take on the conspiracy (for lack of a better term) against the Belicheck Pats, that some way, some how, they won't win another SB. I've felt for some time that the Raiders would never win another SB with Al Davis as owner. They "cheated" to win too many games in the 70's, and Davis rubbing the law in the league's face in the 80's moving the team to LA and back irked too many people. This is also why Ray Guy, Stabler, Branch, Plunket and a few other Raiders aren't in the HOF. I always wondered if the Tuck Play game was revenge for the Ben Dreith Game. Call it karma, or a fix, I still believe it happened for a reason. It would be interesting to examine the Pats playoff losses over the last several years. Some of them were surprising, to say the least.
Old 12-15-12, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Welcome back Foxxy. Let's see, Carolina at 4-9 ranks 3rd, while Indy and their bust QB at 9-4 ranks 23rd. But hey, Carolina has a better YPP! Riiight. Anyone want to make a bet as to who is going to actually win more games this season? And since I'm poking fun at you, what do you think about Michael Vick bouncing back with all that talent he has? Sorry, you've been gone so long, I had to slap you on the back right while you were sipping your grog.

Agree with most of your picks though! If you've read a few of my posts I too was one of the first to see through Atlanta, and I also see the Giants as a real threat, though not because of Eli. They have great receivers, excellent pass protection, and can defend the pass fairly well. That's a good recipe in this league for winning big games. I don't know about SF though. Well see, and we'll know more this weekend. And I don't see Houston getting to the big game. Two bad blowout losses to key teams, and the loss of Cushing was huge. I'll still be surprised though if Denver is the team from the AFC. Something just doesn't seem right to me about them winning big games. Or playoff games. I still like NE in the AFC, and if the Steelers can magically heal in two weeks. I like NYG, SF or even GB in the NFC if they can get healthy. Seattle looks dangerous. Would not want to play them.

Interesting take on the conspiracy (for lack of a better term) against the Belicheck Pats, that some way, some how, they won't win another SB. I've felt for some time that the Raiders would never win another SB with Al Davis as owner. They "cheated" to win too many games in the 70's, and Davis rubbing the law in the league's face in the 80's moving the team to LA and back irked too many people. This is also why Ray Guy, Stabler, Branch, Plunket and a few other Raiders aren't in the HOF. I always wondered if the Tuck Play game was revenge for the Ben Dreith Game. Call it karma, or a fix, I still believe it happened for a reason. It would be interesting to examine the Pats playoff losses over the last several years. Some of them were surprising, to say the least.
Here is a good article about CAR:
http://www.footballperspective.com/t...of-retirement/

So if Gruden ever want to comeback, this team is ripe for Success (regression to the mean). This team is where he should go. He could take all the pride for the very possible turnaround of this team next year. Even tough i think Kelly would be the better choice. He´d have the players and QB for his attacking style. It would be fun to watch, while Gruden (when around the last time) was the only stubborn coach who didn´t use the Shotgun...

Luck is like Tebow: A Comeback kid. That doesn´t translate into possible future success as we know. Even Skelton had a high number of comebacks (relative to his pro starts). I still don´t buy into the Luck-Story, only that he plays to his name.
But you are right, he certainly isn´t a bust.
I wasn´t around, but didn´t Vick got injured? And didn´t i say Foles won´t have better numbers?
Here are the effieciency lines;
Vick 5,9 Y/PP, 79 Rate (3-6 in starts)
Foles 5,4 Y/PP, 78 Rate (1-4 in starts)
You are right that Vick didn´t comeback. Your point. But the world is grey, not black or white: I said Foles would make no difference since the called plays are the same, the players around are, the coach is. And as you see nothing changed for the better as i predicted.
The QB is only as good as the talent around him, even though he´s the biggest impact of all players on a team (contrary to overpaid RB´s). We can see that in WAS. When a QB is above everybody else he can turn a team around (same happened in DEN, even though i hate to admit it), a RB like AP, Sanders or Bo Jackson can´t/couldn´t, never will.

Same here: I don´t see DEN going far in the playoffs. And it all has to do with Peyton being Nervous-Playoff-Peyton. He´ll have one of his massive meltdowns in a playoff shutout or something. NE is not allowed*, that leaves me with my old pick: HOU is going to the SB.
GB i can´t see going far. All their mega pass effieciency of the past two years is gone. I think the league figured "Rodgers & gang" out after the NYG showed them how to do it.
NYG luck will even out (hopefully), so that leaves SF as logical SB-Pick.Very effiecient balanced offense. It seems it doesn´t matter who plays QB there. Maybe even Dilf Dilfer could win his 2nd SB with such a team.
The Defense (especially pass) is the cream of the NFL. If no turnover misfortune (like last year) in the playoffs, they go to the SB.

*Yep, just look at the loss to NYJ two years ago. Master Belicheat played a obscure slow game in the 4th when two scores down. Belicheat wouldn´t do that. He´s too good for that. He was hold back. I am convinced.
OAK leads the league in penalties since at least the mid eighties. No one can tell me there isn´t a payback by the league/other owners. It´s just not possible that any NFL team with changing coaches and players completley every 4 years can have the penalty sickness forever. That is impossible by all means.

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-15-12 at 12:50.
Old 12-15-12, 14:38

Quote:
Uh, you must have forgotten that the first and maybe only person to see him was none other than Gruden. He was impressed with him at the Gruden rookie camp, and on draft day when asked about the plethora of talented QB's and the focus on Luck and RGIII (and Tannehill and Weeden), Gruden's exact words were "I like Russell Wilson." Gruden may be a little goofy at times, but he really knows the game and has a crystal ball when it comes to talent.
No, I did not forget. I saw the Gruden camp showing of Wilson before the draft. At that moment I thought Russell was for real and because of his height would be a steal. But, I just quoted Madden saying "Nobody...". You know Madden, he says stuff like that without being completely accurate (sometimes like me) but gets his point across.

edit 1: cute video of Russell the Hobbit. Had not seen that.
edit 2: interesting take on the cheat squads, karma and all that. I also agree the SF linebackers will be interesting to watch b/c as I said here before they have had problems stuffing the gaps in some games. Will also be interesting to see what kind of game plan Belichick comes up with. Will they try to exploit that? I would, until the 9ers find a way to stop it! And Pats have just the kind of offense to make the LBs nuts freeze.

Last edited by on3m@n@rmy; 12-15-12 at 14:56.
Old 12-15-12, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxyBrown1111 View Post
Here is a good article about CAR:
http://www.footballperspective.com/t...of-retirement/

So if Gruden ever want to comeback, this team is ripe for Success (regression to the mean). This team is where he should go...
That is a good, interesting article on the Panthers. I agree this team does appear ripe for success. But it may take more than just a coach. Maybe Gruden could turn it around there with the personnel the Pathers have. I don't know though. I'm not sure about that. I have to ask why has Carolina lost so may close games. Maybe the personnel is part of the problem. In order for a team to win those close games it often takes someone to will them to win. There are QBs in the league we know have that mentality (e.g. Brady, Manning), but some don't have that mentality (e.g. Romo for the most part of his career). The right coach may be able to turn it around with the talent Carolina has, but any new coach may have to come in and retool the roster. Every player on the field has to have confidence in all the other players around them.
Old 12-15-12, 16:11

The so called "clutch players" were examined a lot. While there are players who perform good under pressure, they tend to regress to the mean. In the long run, their play under pressure isn´t better than their normal play. Speak: If Montana or Warner had an effiecient passing game for 58 mins, they had it too in the last 2 mins. OTOH, there are indeed players who "choke" under pressure, even in the long run. But there are very few, since those "chokers" are sorted out well before they reach the top level of pro sports.
I think Peyton Manning is one of the few examples. He is so good, that he made it to the top even tough he often has his worst games under the biggest pressure (speak playoffs).
But Romo certainly isn´t a "choker". People just have the "feeling" he is, because his meltdowns looked really ugly. Things that people do never forget. OTOH look at this stat:
"This is the second year in a row Romo has led four game-winning drives and comebacks, and his total of eight comebacks since 2011 ranks second only to Eli Manning (10) in that time span.
Most 4th Quarter Comeback Wins, 2011-12
Eli Manning 10
Tony Romo 8
Matt Ryan 7
Alex Smith 6
Matthew Stafford 6
Not bad for a supposed choker. But that’s why we have facts."
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...history/20034/

That brings us to CAR. It´s the coaching/play calling, not the players. There is no reason for me to not think that Cam Newton will lead his team to many wins the next year, if the HC isn´t named Rivera, Crennel or Turner.

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-15-12 at 16:13.
Old 12-15-12, 17:50
Administrator

Eli fans love that stat. That plus the 2 SB MVPs (on iffy stats). But as I've said before, Eli is not Peyton, and hes not Brady, Brees or Ryan either. If Eli were traded for someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Sam Bradford, each team would likely have the same record. He's not bad, but he's not as great as his wins would indicate.

Carolina is definitely a team for 2014-2016 or so. Washington, Seattle, Indianapolis, probably still Atlanta and SF. Maybe Miami, St. Louis or Cleveland even. But it depends on a few key players, coaches, other intangibles. KC has one of the best teams on paper, and yet...

I do not favor expanding the NFL playoffs. It would do little more than dilute the cream. We would certainly see 7-9 teams in there. It's little more than a gimmick to generate revenue. The NFL could expand teams. That would result in dilution, but not as bad. LA, San Antonio, Portland, London even. Bleacher Report article.

I questioned how good Foles would be too, but while many kept insisting how much talent Vick had and his potential. I scoffed at that and questioned what he had ever done in his NFL career? No one can answer, because it's nothing. He isn't any better than a 3rd round rookie thrown into games mid season.
Old 12-15-12, 19:02

Quote:
1.) Eli fans love that stat. That plus the 2 SB MVPs (on iffy stats). But as I've said before, Eli is not Peyton, and hes not Brady, Brees or Ryan either. If Eli were traded for someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Sam Bradford, each team would likely have the same record. He's not bad, but he's not as great as his wins would indicate.

2.) Carolina is definitely a team for 2013-2016 or so.

3.) I do not favor expanding the NFL playoffs.

4.) I questioned how good Foles would be too, but while many kept insisting how much talent Vick had and his potential. I scoffed at that and questioned what he had ever done in his NFL career? No one can answer, because it's nothing. He isn't any better than a 3rd round rookie thrown into games mid season.
1.) Yeah, fragile Eli is the exact opposite of the brother. Eli is only 12th among active QBīs in Y/PP (20th in rating), while her bro, Nervous-PO-Peyton, is 2nd (3rd in rating) to?...
Yep, Mr. Romo!!
While Peytonīs teams almost every year are pre playoff SB-Favoīs, Eliīs teams are seldom if at all considered as SB-Contenders. And yet due sheer luck, Eli has one more ring in less time.
And yes even "his" SB wins were unimpressive. Scoring 17 and 21 points, while the other SB scores 10% percent more points compared to the yearly regular season. Itīs no secret that the defense performances and incredible luck and misfortune by opponents got him the rings.

2.) fixed for you...

3.) Me too. Itīs just another trick to milk the fans. What a BS. Soon weīll have 7-9 teams as SB-"Champs". Welcome to the CFL/NHL: Completely meaningless regular seasons...

4.) Vick had an amazing improvement since he played as PHI starter. Donīt know what happened this year, back to his ATL "form". I canīt explain it, but you are right anyway. This year was bad.
OTOH he had some stellar performances in 2010 and 2011 thanks to his powerful arm...