Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-15-12, 01:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopass View Post
Team help or not. The way i see it, any contender for the GC who gets into trouble can forget about the overall victory the moment they crack. That goes for everyone who dreams about winning the race.
There's other ways to get in trouble other than cracking. Being caught off your guard in a tactical manoeuvre, having a mechanical, crashing, etc.
Old 12-15-12, 03:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopass View Post
This is Froome we're talking about, not Wiggins. He can, unlike Wiggins TT-look-a-like-style of a climbing, jump around with Baby Schleck and Contador if he wants to. So he wont need the same support as Wiggins in order to get a good finish in the HC Climbs.
I can't resist. Can you name one stage or indeed one race where Froome has danced with Andy?

He tried for the first time with Alberto at the Vuelta this year and was, well, pretty much crushed.

Let me know if I am missing something.
Old 12-15-12, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
And Wiggo is going to be the first one to crack. I predict Wiggo riding in with the sprinters on Ax-3, after one attack from Contador. Froome's going to last a lot longer than Wiggo will. I was talking more about trouble in terms of mechanical's by the way.
Can't see that happening. I see Wiggins trying to maintain a time loss but not losing too much time. Froome is more unpredictable. Some days he looks mediocre and other days he is flying. Not a good formula for winning grand tours. Also the Saxo/Sky/Nissan rivalry will play into the hands of riders like Valverde and Rodriguez and Evans. The pressure will be off their teams and if they have the form they will have the advantage of watching the moves and reacting without burning out their domestiques.
Old 12-15-12, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
And Wiggo is going to be the first one to crack. I predict Wiggo riding in with the sprinters on Ax-3, after one attack from Contador. Froome's going to last a lot longer than Wiggo will. I was talking more about trouble in terms of mechanical's by the way.
Wiggo with the sprinters on Ax 3 Domaines, WTF ?! Some people know no boundaries...saved for next July!
Old 12-15-12, 08:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
I can't resist. Can you name one stage or indeed one race where Froome has danced with Andy?

He tried for the first time with Alberto at the Vuelta this year and was, well, pretty much crushed.

It can't be confirmed empirically so far, but people think so based on what they saw in the 2011 and 12' Tour and with good reason. Froome produces a wild impression. Light, flexible, explosive, while being a great time trialist. Do you believe only riders? I believe watts too.

I'm sure no matter what Wiggins is saying now, he will do the Giro and then go to the Tour in status of Sastre '09 or Basso'10 to help Froome. I wouldn't like to see Froome in the Giro cos it would be an easny annihilation.

Last edited by airstream; 12-15-12 at 08:47.
Old 12-15-12, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
It can't be confirmed empirically so far, but people think so based on what they saw in the 2011 and 12' Tour and with good reason. Froome produces a wild impression. Light, flexible, explosive, while being a great time trialist. Do you believe only riders? I believe watts too.

I'm sure no matter what Wiggins is saying now, he will do the Giro and then go to the Tour in status of Sastre '09 or Basso'10 to help Froome. I wouldn't like to see Froome in the Giro cos it would be an easny annihilation.
Since they have yet to meet when both were in peak form it hasn't been proven. Why do you continue to close your eyes to this? You seem to speak matter-of-factly as if you know for a fact that it's true and then you throw out these watt figures as if that is all it takes to prove that someone is the equal or superior to someone else.
Old 12-15-12, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Stage 6 at that Vuelta?
Old 12-15-12, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post
Wiggo with the sprinters on Ax 3 Domaines, WTF ?! Some people know no boundaries...saved for next July!
I was mostly joking, mostly . Don't take it so seriously.

If I'm being serious though, I think Froome will last a lot longer then Wiggins will.
Old 12-16-12, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post

I beg your pardon? Froome can dance with the best? Based on what? So far the legend of Froome is being better than Wiggo in a Vuelta where Wiggo had come back from a broken collarbone and the winner is a slightly erratic rider who whilst being good is clearly no where near the best riders.

Then he managed to ride away form Wiggo twice in the tdf for a period of what 1km? OK he was called back but we have no idea what would of actually happened.

Then he goes to th Vuelta again and gets spanked by a rider coming back from a ban with no base to speak of and a guy who was only good when he took substances named after his dog.

Froome has yet to prove anything other than he can follow along in Wiggins trail, letting Wiggins take all the pressure, make all the decisions and provide him a little bubble in which to stay and look good.

Froom has the smell of a bottler, the look of a bottler I think he is a bottler. He even got his GF to fight his battles for him on twitter.

At the end of the day Wiggins may not appeal to many but he is not a bottler has lots of medals and wins to prove this. Froome has nothing and has not shown he can cut it as a champ. Many riders may have better VO2 or skills etc but Wiggins, Contador etc are proven winners. Froome is less convincing.
Old 12-16-12, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
I beg your pardon? Froome can dance with the best? Based on what? So far the legend of Froome is being better than Wiggo in a Vuelta where Wiggo had come back from a broken collarbone and the winner is a slightly erratic rider who whilst being good is clearly no where near the best riders.

Then he managed to ride away form Wiggo twice in the tdf for a period of what 1km? OK he was called back but we have no idea what would of actually happened.

Then he goes to th Vuelta again and gets spanked by a rider coming back from a ban with no base to speak of and a guy who was only good when he took substances named after his dog.

Froome has yet to prove anything other than he can follow along in Wiggins trail, letting Wiggins take all the pressure, make all the decisions and provide him a little bubble in which to stay and look good.

Froom has the smell of a bottler, the look of a bottler I think he is a bottler. He even got his GF to fight his battles for him on twitter.

At the end of the day Wiggins may not appeal to many but he is not a bottler has lots of medals and wins to prove this. Froome has nothing and has not shown he can cut it as a champ. Many riders may have better VO2 or skills etc but Wiggins, Contador etc are proven winners. Froome is less convincing.
Who are the better GT climbers?

Who are the better GT TT'ers?