Contador and Spanish cycling - Page 68 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-13-12, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
As I said:

Better something than nothing
I agree with the second part, they did a deal and it happens all the time.

I don't agree with your statement that there was nothing the UCI could do if Contador's team say that privacy is their line in the sand. The UCI could have said their own line in the sand was transparency, walked away from the deal and taken their chances in court.
Old 12-13-12, 22:35

Quote:
I see it this way.

WADA and UCI didn't win the case. They just took it to CAS for them to review it. And CAS did.

It's not Alberto's fault RFEC cleared him and UCI and WADA took it to CAS. If anyone should be paying that fine it is RFEC. There is nothing Alberto could've possibly done to avoid that fine except admitting to doping and taking the 2 year ban right away. If it were the other way around (Alberto appealing to CAS) he should be paying the costs, but not this way.
Wow I finally agree with something you say, in a black and white world.

Obviously, there is more to it than that.
Old 12-15-12, 20:03

I was wondering does anyone think that Contador is racing clean now? Obviously given his former transgressions and his lack of admission to the matter (and of course his recent LAnce defending) its healthy to be sceptical about his future habits.
Personally I used to enjoy watching him race he was probably my favourite rider until it all came out in 2010, it kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth (fanboy with a typewriter syndrome that Walsh referred to recently).
What annoys me it doesn't seem that he should need to dope, it seems that he's a very talented rider that should well anyway (or was that just coz he was on the juice?) I find it a difficult one to extract one from the other.
Pre 2010 it is perceived that a lot more of the Peleton was juiced up or at least that they were super juiced (or concentrate) as opposed to now where they are just on diluted, Pharmstrong was about maybe he (Contador) felt he had to join the party.
I'm wondering now whether (having been popped, and taking into account the peleton has slowed down) he feels the need to carry on with a program.
Also wondering what the clinic's views on this are?
Old 12-15-12, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom375 View Post
I'm wondering now whether (having been popped, and taking into account the peleton has slowed down) he feels the need to carry on with a program.
Contador will continue, especially after seeing Sky annihilate everybody in the tour. I can imagine it being an optional program, a bag here and there when required.
Old 12-15-12, 20:51
Administrator

Quote:
I was wondering does anyone think that Contador is racing clean now? Obviously given his former transgressions and his lack of admission to the matter (and of course his recent LAnce defending) its healthy to be sceptical about his future habits.
Personally I used to enjoy watching him race he was probably my favourite rider until it all came out in 2010, it kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth (fanboy with a typewriter syndrome that Walsh referred to recently).
What annoys me it doesn't seem that he should need to dope, it seems that he's a very talented rider that should well anyway (or was that just coz he was on the juice?) I find it a difficult one to extract one from the other.
Pre 2010 it is perceived that a lot more of the Peleton was juiced up or at least that they were super juiced (or concentrate) as opposed to now where they are just on diluted, Pharmstrong was about maybe he (Contador) felt he had to join the party.
Dazed and Confused has got there first with his/her reply. Which I agree with. Not sure though what you mean by it all came out in 2010. He tested positive for a pin prick of Clenbuterol which nobody on here would describe as juice.

BUT also nobody on here would argue he is/was clean.

Last edited by ferryman; 12-15-12 at 20:52. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-12, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Dazed and Confused has got there first with his/her reply. Which I agree with. Not sure though what you mean by it all came out in 2010. He tested positive for a pin prick of Clenbuterol which nobody on here would describe as juice.

BUT also nobody on here would argue he is/was clean.
I thought the general thrust of that was that it was possibly/probably evidence of blood doping i.e it was a residue consistent with more serious doping, not the fact that he had used the clen/ate the steak.. specifically
Old 12-15-12, 23:30
Administrator

Quote:
I thought the general thrust of that was that it was possibly/probably evidence of blood doping i.e it was a residue consistent with more serious doping, not the fact that he had used the clen/ate the steak.. specifically
Clen to a cyclist, is most likely taken to aid weight loss. This has all been done to death ten thousand times over so best not to go there again
Old 12-16-12, 12:18

Quote:
Indeed it annoys me too, I wish he could race in a dope free time, but alas that's not the way it is. He has to dope to keep up. It makes me sad because now that he was caught everyone will always see him as the one who dopes and wouldn't win anything if he doesn't. While I believe he would be the best if there was no such thing as doping. It's sad but there is nothing I can do about it. I just hope he doesn't test positive a second time.
Old 12-16-12, 13:46

Quote:
Indeed it annoys me too, I wish he could race in a dope free time, but alas that's not the way it is. He has to dope to keep up. It makes me sad because now that he was caught everyone will always see him as the one who dopes and wouldn't win anything if he doesn't. While I believe he would be the best if there was no such thing as doping. It's sad but there is nothing I can do about it. I just hope he doesn't test positive a second time.
The problem with this line of argument is it is the same that Lance's fans used about him.
Old 12-16-12, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
The problem with this line of argument is it is the same that Lance's fans used about him.
Why is that a problem?