The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador - Page 18 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better overall rider
Cadel Evans 34 22.08%
Alberto Contador 120 77.92%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-12, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
If he had a puncture and no one had come back to tow tim and as a result he would have lost the Tour then we might have said the team didn't work for him. So he was entirely protected by Astana sitting at Lance's wheel most of the time.
Yep, Armstrong was intentionally blocking the wind for Contador for most of the race.
Old 12-16-12, 19:44

Quote:
Boonen has nothing to do with that. A rider rides in the pack where he wants. The team preferred Lance as a leader. Have you ever wondered why?
I would love to hear what you believe to be the reason why. This should prove to be infinitely entertaining.
Old 12-16-12, 19:59
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
I would love to hear what you believe to be the reason why. This should prove to be infinitely entertaining.
A puppie dared to swarm athwart hierarchy and the team supported Lance.
Old 12-16-12, 20:18

Quote:
A puppie dared to swarm athwart hierarchy and the team supported Lance.
Hierarchy??? The current best grand tour rider in the world versus an over-the-hill rider with such a massive ego that he figured a fellow champion would simply stepaside and let him take over the team for his grand and hopefully triumphant return to the world stage? Had the audacity to use an Indurain analogy in his argument to support his delusional ambitions? In end admitted that he was beaten by the better man and knew in his heart-of-hearts that had he been in the same circumstances as Contador that he would've done exactly what Contador, and very likely much more to insure he was able to compete and prove who was the best?

If you were in Contador's shoes would you have given in to Armstrong or would you have made sure that you gave yourself the best opportunity to show the world that you were superior and not stood for being suddenly relegated to also ran, support status?
Old 12-16-12, 20:30

Compare apples to apples: Evans or "Valverde"
Old 12-16-12, 21:19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
Hierarchy??? The current best grand tour rider in the world versus an over-the-hill rider with such a massive ego that he figured a fellow champion would simply stepaside and let him take over the team for his grand and hopefully triumphant return to the world stage? Had the audacity to use an Indurain analogy in his argument to support his delusional ambitions? In end admitted that he was beaten by the better man and knew in his heart-of-hearts that had he been in the same circumstances as Contador that he would've done exactly what Contador, and very likely much more to insure he was able to compete and prove who was the best?

If you were in Contador's shoes would you have given in to Armstrong or would you have made sure that you gave yourself the best opportunity to show the world that you were superior and not stood for being suddenly relegated to also ran, support status?
You know Contador is not the best example to say about ego, oppose it to another one's and complain about that. He himself has a huge one. If he is dropped, 10 of 10 times he will say ' I could easily follow but it wouldn't be smart tactically'. Exactly insincerity made me dislike him in 2007 already. Insecerity in anything.

He knew what supposedly he would have to overcome in 2008 autumn yet. Did he budge to change anything? NO. Why??? The answer is obvious... So playing a poor guy who had to undergo bullying and coercion [which you, Contador defenders, do] is a foolishness. He clearly knew through what he should have passed and chose that option.

The team including spanish speaking riders supported Armstrong. For me this says a lot. It means Contador did something wrong.

If I were in Contador shoes, I would have thought many times before doing that Tour. Winning the Tour that way was doomed to bring inevitable revenge from very influential uncles which really came [it is my vision of what happened].

Uff, sorry. Sadly I can not build short consice sentences.

Last edited by airstream; 12-16-12 at 21:26.
Old 12-16-12, 21:22

Quote:
You know Contador is not the best example to say about ego, oppose it to another one's and complain about that. He himself has a huge one. If he is dropped, 10 of 10 times he will say ' I could easily follow but it wouldn't be smart tactically'. Exactly insincerity made me dislike him in 2007 already. Insecerity in anything.

He knew what supposedly he will have to overcome in 2008 autumn yet. Did he budge to change anything? NO. Why??? The answer is obvious...

The team including spanish speaking riders supported Armstrong. For me this says a lot. It means Contador did something wrong.

If I were in Contador shoes, I would have thought many times before doing that Tour. Winning the Tour that way was doomed to bring inevitable revenge from very influential uncles which really came [it is my vision of what happened]
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA no.
Old 12-16-12, 22:21
Banned

Tiago Machado > all
Old 12-17-12, 00:08

Quote:

He knew what supposedly he would have to overcome in 2008 autumn yet. Did he budge to change anything? NO. Why??? The answer is obvious... So playing a poor guy who had to undergo bullying and coercion [which you, Contador defenders, do] is a foolishness. He clearly knew through what he should have passed and chose that option.

If I were in Contador shoes, I would have thought many times before doing that Tour. Winning the Tour that way was doomed to bring inevitable revenge from very influential uncles which really came [it is my vision of what happened].

Uff, sorry. Sadly I can not build short consice sentences.

I would have to disagree and say that it's smarter to not admit that your opponents put you in difficulty and where than to clue them into weaknesses that they can only guess at.

Regarding the implication you made that he should have left the team the moment he knew Armstrong was returning to ride for Bruyneel , if I'm not mistaken, he was under contract and would have had to pay to break it, even if the Armstrong/sponsors were willing to let him go. Do you really think Armstrong would've let him go, knowing it would be easier to control his most dangerous opponent if he's on the team that he has under his boot than to have riding for another squad free to ride his own race?

He chose to stay, possibly confident of his ability to overcome whatever Armstrong threw in his path and/or was capable of bringing to the field of battle. The fact that he remained quiet throughout the Tour and simply went about the business of showing Armstrong a clean set of wheels showed me that he was all about winning the race, choosing to deal with the drama it entailed until after the Tour.

Last edited by Angliru; 12-17-12 at 00:28. Reason: Spelling & various corrections
Old 12-17-12, 00:11

Quote:

It tells me that they (the rest of the team, other than Paulinho) were riding to keep their jobs and following orders, no matter how ludicrous they seemed to everyone else in the cycling world.