"another interesting piece I found on the UCI and president Pat McQuaid " Thread - Page 36 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 10-29-12, 06:29

Seen this from the UCI 2011 news bulletin (page 103)? UCI Overlord and JV were talking about it on twitter.

The UCI President gave an update on the situation of doping in professional Road cycling over the last few years:
As soon as Mr P. McQuaid became UCI President in 2005, he had to deal with major doping cases in professional Road cycling. Unfortunately, the trend of doping has not improved and the number of cases is still high. Last April, at the 2012 registration conference in Brussels, as an introduction, the President gave a presentation to teams explaining to them that nobody was safe from doping.

Doesn't McQuaid understand, it's all in the past?
Old 10-29-12, 08:00

Great piece by Eamon Sweeney about Pat's calibre.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...e-3276782.html

Given the revulsion with which the vast majority of sportsmen regarded the South African regime, you'd imagine Pat McQuaid might regret his boycott-busting jaunt below the equator. Not at all. Some years later, he told David Walsh, in an interview for the latter's biography of Kelly, "I would say it was the best month of my life. The weather was great, the countryside was beautiful, my form was at its best and the time we spent touring the countryside afterwards was superb. It was a great trip."

Last week Pat McQuaid, displaying a level of virulence he was unable to summon up for the chief culprit, described those who'd spilt the beans on Lance Armstrong as "scumbags". You know what Pat? That's a bit rich. On your bike son.
Old 12-12-12, 18:13

This may be posted elsewhere, but it looks like Pat and Hein have found another sucker and are on their way to fulfilling their dreams of screwing every promoter BUT the ASO.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...-calendar.aspx

... Omega Pharma-QuickStep owner Zdenek Bakala and his business partner Bessel Kok since late 2011 about the possible development of the professional road cycling calendar....

Apparently they package other sports events for media already, which is exactly what Hein and Pat have been trying to do for years.

“These discussions have included their potential financial investment in a new joint venture company with the UCI and other cycling stakeholders that would promote and organise elements of this new calendar,”

This has broad consequences to the traditional cycling calendar that are not ASO-owned events and is a big opportunity for the UCI to re-brand themselves and pretend the system doesn't fix races by supressing doping.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 12-12-12 at 18:16.
Old 12-14-12, 14:16

It was a long time ago...

Quote:
McQuaid, who has been UCI president since 2005, said he believed the public and media appreciated that the Armstrong period was outside his control.

"It deals with a period between 1999 and 2005 when most people now realize that the armoury in the fight against doping was much weaker than it is today," he said.

"Those guys were able to cheat and beat the system at that time because the system wasn't strong enough.

"Now we have the biological passport, where we do 10,000 tests a year at a cost of 7.5 million euros ($9.82 million).

"We invest in anti-doping and we have the no-needle policy I introduced, which means no teams or doctors are allowed to use needles except for medical necessity."

The UCI is also doing its best to get rid of the cheats for good, McQuaid added.

"We've also introduced a rule whereby any cyclist convicted of doping in a team can never come back into sport as part of the entourage," he said.

"That will take time to come through, but it means in 10 or 15 years time, that no entourage will have a member of a team who was involved in doping."

REFORM PROCESS

He pointed to recent reforms including the creation of a three-man independent commission, headed by former Court of Appeal judge Philip Otton, to investigate allegations that the UCI did not do its best to fight against doping during the Armstrong era.

The commission is to hold a hearing in London in April and produce a report by June.

"A lot of our critics said it wouldn't be independent and I think we've proven them wrong," said McQuaid.

"I think this commission is probably the most independent high-powered commission ever to study a sport's problem and I think they'll do a very good job on it.

"The commission will hopefully prove that we did do our job correctly."

McQuaid rejected a demand from Change Cycling Now (CCN), comprising former riders, journalists and anti-doping campaigners, which has said he should step down.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BC18L20121213
Old 12-14-12, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhill View Post
Great piece by Eamon Sweeney about Pat's calibre.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...e-3276782.html

Given the revulsion with which the vast majority of sportsmen regarded the South African regime, you'd imagine Pat McQuaid might regret his boycott-busting jaunt below the equator. Not at all. Some years later, he told David Walsh, in an interview for the latter's biography of Kelly, "I would say it was the best month of my life. The weather was great, the countryside was beautiful, my form was at its best and the time we spent touring the countryside afterwards was superb. It was a great trip."

Last week Pat McQuaid, displaying a level of virulence he was unable to summon up for the chief culprit, described those who'd spilt the beans on Lance Armstrong as "scumbags". You know what Pat? That's a bit rich. On your bike son.
Thanks for the link Summerhill - my God, the man is utterly beyond the pale.

So apart from the blood on his hands regarding complicity in doping, he had blood on his hands as far back as the mid '70s helping to prop up Apartheid in South Africa?

The man is a total pariah, what in God's name is he doing in charge of professional cycling?
Old 12-16-12, 01:18

Look at the BS this guy slings, jesus he's just a sad, pathetic, POS:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...sidency_268895

“Greg was a great cyclist who I’ve known since the time when I was the organizer of the Tour of Ireland back in the 1980s, but I would ask him: ‘What have you done for cycling in the past 25 years?’ The answer is nothing,” McQuaid said. “I find it a little bit arrogant for him to say he is prepared to serve as interim president of the UCI. The UCI is a democracy, there is an electoral system in place. If he wants to, he can always seek the support of his national federation and stand for election next September.”
"According to Mrs LeMond, Armstrong said: "There's no way you could have won your Tour de Frances without EPO." And Greg got very angry and said, "Listen, I won my - I was third in 1984, I was second in 1985, I won in 1986. This type of drug did not exist.The difference between you and me is that I have a 95 VO2 max and you have an 82, and you're - you don't - basically you don't know what you're talking about."(Proving Wonderboy is a clueless, lying POS)
Old 12-17-12, 00:46

@jaimiefuller: just had really good meeting with @gaudryt president oceania region and in uci management committee. smart lady. tough lady. great values.

Looks like not just marketing. Getting the hooks in.
Old 12-17-12, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
@jaimiefuller: just had really good meeting with @gaudryt president oceania region and in uci management committee. smart lady. tough lady. great values.

Looks like not just marketing. Getting the hooks in.
Promising... - Kick Pat & Hein out tough lady!
Old 01-22-13, 16:12

Quote:
In an interview with Fri Netherlands Hein Verbruggen said that as president of the UCI he had taken the initiative to take blood tests and to warn the riders when the results were suspect.
UCI warned Armstrong and other riders with suspicious values for years (Google translate)

Wielerbond waarschuwde jarenlang Armstrong en andere renners met verdachte waarden (Original Dutch)
Old 01-23-13, 10:08

Brian Cookson of British Cycling closes ranks with Pat McQuaid

Quote:
"I am fully supportive of UCI president Pat McQuaid, who, since his election in 2005, has done an impressive job in frequently difficult circumstances. Any speculation at this difficult time is particularly unhelpful, and I think it is absolutely vital for the future of our sport that we all remain united."
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...t-8462301.html

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...t-mcquaid.html