National Football League - Page 195 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-16-12, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
I'm off to a sports bar with friends family. It will be a heavy Giants fanbase, and I'll be cheering for the Falcons. Wish me luck. Especially as I think the Giants could win by double digits.
By God, you must have had fun!

Kirk Cousins
Old 12-16-12, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post

Kirk Cousins
LMAO.
Hope Alpe will tell us soon...

Great win for WAS, you see QBs are overrated, even "our" RG3.
Good call by Merckx.

Here come the Redskins, going to the playoffs (thank you Eli & NYG) with a healthy RG3. That will be fun.
Old 12-16-12, 21:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I'm back, and sober. Who needs beer when you witness something so entertaining?! A total schelacking. I thought the Falcons would be unable to move the ball and we'd see a 20-10 type Giants win. I was dead wrong. Falcons looked for real, Giants looked done.
Quote:
Kirk Cousins
Told ya so on that one. He fell way too far in the draft, and the Skins are playing very well overall as a team. I see them winning out and taking the division, no matter who is at QB (though RGIII is better than Cousins.)

Broncos big win. Key win for GB in Chicago. More comments later.
Old 12-16-12, 22:13

Quote:
Giants looked done.
That´s the problem. They look done. Remember that one?
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0711250nyg.htm
... and went on to win the SB.

...or this one
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1111280nor.htm

... or this one
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...9012150nyg.htm

... and finally this one
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/nyg/1934.htm

Anyway, as said some months ago, the most lucky pro sports team in the universe should regress to the mean and don´t win another SB in the next 100 years. They have consumed all luck the football gods offered them for the time of their existence. So i should be optimistic...

-----------------------

ROFL: A comment at NFL.com
"Norv Turner could not coach a Fish to Swim". If this wasn´t a cycling site, i´d use that as my signature.

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-17-12 at 00:03.
Old 12-17-12, 00:16

Wow, just when it was starting to look like Huston & Atlanta were pretenders rather than contenders, they both made a statement with convincing wins over conference rivals.

Green Bay & Denver - my personal picks to make it to the Super Bowl, with Green Bay coming out on top- continue to roll.

Detroit is in free fall. And, Jay Cutler, is looking more an more like he's not the guy to turn around Chicago's muribund offense. I'll be suprised if both Cutler and Lovie Smith are back in Chicago next year. I expect at least one of them to be cut loose.
Old 12-17-12, 00:30

Cutler is an 1+ A$$hole. I have big Schadenfreude that the Bears have an worse offense than under Martz.

Everybody wanted him out of CHI (and Cutler was a big force too to fire him), and now they got their wish... CHI will have to wait another 25+ years for a SB, b/c they fire everybody who don´t like to run the ball or who has some kind of idea how to run an NFL offense.
Well Bears, this is 2012, not 1975. Live in the present not in neantertaler age. It´s a passing league.

Remember that one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hH_8bw809o

I know not many Martz believers (if at all) nowadays, but i stand by him as everybody knows here.

Interesting link to stories of each teams history
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/toc/nfl/afcteams.html

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-18-12 at 02:55.
Old 12-17-12, 07:00
Administrator

What a wild game in NE! Both teams almost blew it. Well, I guess you could say NE did early. But what a game. If there ever was a question about Colin Kaepernick, it was answered.

Next week's SF - Seattle game should really be something. The way Seattle demolished the Bills today, and putting up 108 points in two weeks. The Seahawks are red hot and even if they lose to SF next week, I would not want to play them in the playoffs.

Despite the pathetic loss today, I still see the Giants getting into the playoffs and being dangerous (or lucky) as a possibility.

Adrian Peterson needs 283 to top Eric Dickerson's single season NFL rushing record. I don't think he'll get there as they play Houston and GB. But he will likely get to 2000.

No respect for the Cowboys letting Josh Brent on the field today. The complete wrong message.
Old 12-18-12, 06:05
Administrator

MNF was ugly, ugly, ugly. Jets fans have to feel like they've been kicked in the gut. The ESPN guys were hyper critical at how dysfunctional and disorganized the Jets are as a whole. I'm starting to think Mark Sanchez is damaged goods at this point. Only so much can fall on his shoulders, he seemed lost and as Trent Dilfer was saying poorly coached and made mistakes you shouldn't make at this level in his career. Even Gruden seemed to have no answers. Playing Tebow was a waste as well. Every play looked like a broken play. Just an ugly loss.

Not much credit to the Titans either. They looked like the 5-9 team they are. CJ had one great run, Locker moves well, but is inaccurate. But considering their entire OL are 2nd to 4th string Ill give them a little slack. They did just enough to win, barely.
Old 12-18-12, 13:51

Quote:
MNF was ugly, ugly, ugly. Jets fans have to feel like they've been kicked in the gut. The ESPN guys were hyper critical at how dysfunctional and disorganized the Jets are as a whole. I'm starting to think Mark Sanchez is damaged goods at this point. Only so much can fall on his shoulders, he seemed lost and as Trent Dilfer was saying poorly coached and made mistakes you shouldn't make at this level in his career. Even Gruden seemed to have no answers. Playing Tebow was a waste as well. Every play looked like a broken play. Just an ugly loss.
Agree. I did not get to watch much due to road trip over the weekend, but did get to take in MNF. I agree Sanchez is damaged goods (esp. head). He has no OLine, but throws he should make he does not. Terrible. From highest expectations at his drafting to this. Rex is partly to blame. Agree with Dilfer and Gruden. It's inexplicable. What a messed up organization. To the defense of the QBs, no QB can establish rhythm playing a snap or two or one series. That's mostly to Tebow's defense... Sanch has played more than enough to establish rhythm. I don't get Sanchez, who has flashes of greatness followed by dog piles (& I don't mean the human body football dog piles and end of plays). That organization needs to make some changes all around.

man u guys put up a lot of posts since I was last here. Like rubber hitting the road.
Old 12-18-12, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3m@n@rmy View Post
To the defense of the QBs, no QB can establish rhythm playing a snap or two or one series. That's mostly to Tebow's defense... Sanch has played more than enough to establish rhythm.
Here is a very good article about the life of backup QBS.
http://info4students.com/time-for-a-...ackup-qb-plan/

I was searching for an older article from nfl.com, but i "only" found the above linked one, which also describes it perfectly...

I can´t praise enough the quality of play of backup QBS...
The guys at PFR.com came up with the "1-win-above-replacements" for starting QBS.
I do my own reasearch now, since they did "cherry picking" (only counting teams above .500, etc.) which misleads the results towards the starters.
I am onto something (it looks so far)... there is almost no difference in (pass-)play efficiency and W-L record, no matter if the starter plays or not. That´s amazing, given the facts described in the linked article.

Conclusion: "Star"-QB´s are even more overrated than I ever thought (and i thought i was going the farthest to "discredit" the so called superstars). And that is something.
Finally, why do i do it? To defend my QB-Rankings.
Actually they are "wrong". But not in the case like some guys might think (that i should include Montana & PManning* for example), no, the other way around. I may should exclude Roethlisberger and re-think if i should not include guys like Jeff George or Steve Grogan (a guy who outperformed Eason, Cavanaugh and all the other NE-QBS of his era** almost every year, yet he wasn´t always the starter with enough reps in practise!)...

* I excludecd PManning only b/c of his mega busts in the playoffs. Now the stat guys (like me ) could explain it away b/c of small sample sizes. But OTOH PManning just didn´t passed my eye test (like Favre and Cunningham). Every time come playoff time he came out nervous (after his usual perfect games against DEN), throwing wobbling balls, being off target, being sacked more often,... things not seen during the RS. He even had terrible games in the SB-Year, where he had one good half (vs. NE; maybe b/c he thought "who cares, it´s too late, so just have fun now", so all his nervousness was gone).
Favre we all know didn´t win anything except the one year he had the best NFL-D (1996). The other seasons he threw ill advised PO-Ending-INT´s year after year.
Cunningham was also "special". Remember the NO-Game when he threw one hoppers one yard short of his targets (like McNabb used to have when nervous, but that´s another story). I couldn´t believe a guy with his talent & strength completely being lost and his arm melting like butter. Or the ATL-Game where he was so nervous late in the game that he even didn´t trust his self to throw to a wide open (Carter AFIR) WR in the EZ. Instead he gave the pressure to his K, who failed...
I have to agree with Alpe here; sometimes stats can´t explain everything, even tough numbers don´t lie.

** My reasearch i do now start with the 1980 season until last year.

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-18-12 at 16:01.