The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador - Page 19 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better overall rider
Cadel Evans 34 22.08%
Alberto Contador 120 77.92%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-12, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Compare apples to apples: Evans or "Valverde"
I think its an unfair poll too.

Evans vs Valverde would be interesting, as would Evans vs Nibali or even Evans vs Cunego, but Evans vs Contador, as the numbers suggest, is a bit one sided.
Old 12-17-12, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Evans is a guy who barely won a race before 2011. He only raced so much because he failed so much. None of his old team-mates like him in fact. Not a very inspiring leader.

Besides, Evans has worked with some of the most shady characters in cycling. CAS does not matter. CAS doesn't even think Contador is guilty by the way, so it's funny to see you defending CAS.
You mean a couple of Belgians from Lotto don't like him. I have heard and read plenty of good things said about Evans from past and present team mates. If only half of them were sincere it would still be okay. Evans does not strike me as the type to be too worried about the opinions of others. His personality has probably caused some problems as a team leader but it's not as if he can trade it in and buy a new one. The scenes at the end of the 2011 Tour made me think he has some inspirational qualities. I suppose he could learn Spanish and become a much better human...........
Old 12-17-12, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
You mean a couple of Belgians from Lotto don't like him. I have heard and read plenty of good things said about Evans from past and present team mates. If only half of them were sincere it would still be okay. Evans does not strike me as the type to be too worried about the opinions of others. His personality has probably caused some problems as a team leader but it's not as if he can trade it in and buy a new one. The scenes at the end of the 2011 Tour made me think he has some inspirational qualities. I suppose he could learn Spanish and become a much better human...........
No, I mean every single member from Lotto and Mapei. And some members of the Rabobank team also have a strong opinion about him.

As a team leader you should be worried about what other people think of you. He doesn't have many friends in the peloton.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-17-12, 00:42

Contador for me. Not including Evans' skill in MTB. Contador is better in the TT and is the better climber.
Old 12-17-12, 00:50

Quote:
As a team leader you should be worried about what other people think of you. He doesn't have many friends in the peloton.
Armstrong seemed to have lots of friends in the Peleton, Bassons didn't.. Anyway back to pointless poll - Contador is hands down a much more successful road racer than Evans.
Old 12-17-12, 02:57

Quote:
No, I mean every single member from Lotto and Mapei. And some members of the Rabobank team also have a strong opinion about him.

He had a lot of frustrations in those teams, even worse at Telekom. Horner had good things to say even though he queried his mindset sometimes. But it's a lovefest at BMC ! When he retires that might change. Evans will never win any "most adorable" prizes but neither is he close to being the most boring either, leadership questions aside. I think previous managers were partly to blame at Lotto etc. As for Rabobank, who cares. They have enough problems of their own. Not everyone is cut out to be an Hinault or Armstrong. Neither of those two were very popular either. Evans was too retiring and quiet to adopt that role in the peloton.
Old 12-17-12, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom375 View Post
Armstrong seemed to have lots of friends in the Peleton, Bassons didn't.. Anyway back to pointless poll - Contador is hands down a much more successful road racer than Evans.
Nah, it "seemed" that people were scared of / intimidated by him. That's different. Not too many guys like Armstrong out there anymore.
Old 12-17-12, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
He had a lot of frustrations in those teams, even worse at Telekom. Horner had good things to say even though he queried his mindset sometimes. But it's a lovefest at BMC ! When he retires that might change. Evans will never win any "most adorable" prizes but neither is he close to being the most boring either, leadership questions aside. I think previous managers were partly to blame at Lotto etc. As for Rabobank, who cares. They have enough problems of their own. Not everyone is cut out to be an Hinault or Armstrong. Neither of those two were very popular either. Evans was too retiring and quiet to adopt that role in the peloton.
I don't know what Rabobank riders El Pisti is talking about, he probably doesn't even know himself. Maybe Gesink, after the headbutt incident in the Vuelta, but actually Gesink has said he's an admirer of Evans, and likes his all year long racing mentality (that was before last year).

I don't think quiet and retiring are quite the aspects of Evans' character that people don't like, BTW.
Old 12-17-12, 13:22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru
Yep, Armstrong was intentionally blocking the wind for Contador for most of the race
Hm, what should he have done?

Quote:
I would have to disagree and say that it's smarter to not admit that your opponents put you in difficulty and where than to clue them into weaknesses that they can only guess at.
Not always. 10 of 10 is way over. Expressing like that, he either thinks everyone is fool or lies to himself.

Quote:
Regarding the implication you made that he should have left the team the moment he knew Armstrong was returning to ride for Bruyneel , if I'm not mistaken, he was under contract and would have had to pay to break it
Omg, he is cute, diligent and obedient... Are you serious? Broken contracts happen time and again in professional sports. After 2008 season many teams would have been agree to buy Contador with his contract and compensations if he had WANTED. He was simply afraid of changes of a certain sort. We understand which one.

Quote:
Do you really think Armstrong would've let him go, knowing it would be easier to control his most dangerous opponent if he's on the team that he has under his boot than to have riding for another squad free to ride his own race?
Yes, I'm sure Bruyneel would have Contador let go if this had been in his power entirely, but Kazakh sponsors decided too much, so they naturally insisted on Contador remaining. Contador surely was all for it. A roof never interferes with its owner.
Quote:
He chose to stay, possibly confident of his ability to overcome whatever Armstrong threw in his path and/or was capable of bringing to the field of battle. The fact that he remained quiet throughout the Tour and simply went about the business of showing Armstrong a clean set of wheels showed me that he was all about winning the race, choosing to deal with the drama it entailed until after the Tour.
Are you full of goodness and believe in the best in people only when it relates to Contador? Considering your attitude to Andy and Sky, I can make some conclusion...
Old 12-17-12, 14:03

Third attempt to express my opinion on this topic. This time, please, leave me alone, and stop deleting.

Evans is a full time professional racer, racing from February to October, just like any cycling rider since Nativity. This links him all cycling greats of the past. He's honouring "small" races with his presence. His consistency is remarkable for a rider of his era, if though there are more and more like him since about 2010 (Nibali, Gesink, Cancellara, Gilbert, A Schleck, etc.)

C***tador is a pretty damn joke, racing 50 days a year (60 if you include criteriums), finishing in July, a*se-licking the biggest race organisers (ASO, RCS) and then finishing the year, sunbathing on the beaches of Cancun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
CAS aside,
CAS matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
A better one day rider, but that's about it.
Yeah, and that's a mere detail, of course.