Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-17-12, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyllflyer View Post
In terms of Wiggins' Tour defence, Brailsford on camera interviewed after SPOTY saying Froome's doing the Tour and Brad the Giro 'and we'll take it from there'.
So as we were a week ago?
Old 12-17-12, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
So as we were a week ago?
Good news. I want to see Wiggins do the Giro. Then certain questions will be answered about Froome and Wiggins. How Froome will go as team leader against Andrew and Contador and how Wiggins will go on a course and race quite different to this year's Tour without the support of Froome but still against some good climbers. I am also glad that Gesink has opted for the Giro. Would have liked to see Evans there as well but his obsession has always been the Tour.
Old 12-17-12, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Who are the better GT climbers?

Who are the better GT TT'ers?
Thats not really relavent. Who has proven to have the better mind for winning is the point
Old 12-17-12, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FignonLeGrand View Post
Thats not really relavent. Who has proven to have the better mind for winning is the point
So the fact that Froome has a better skill set for the 2013 Tour should be ignored because he's never been a leader for the full 21 days of a GT? I guess there were questions about Wiggins being able to keep it together too, but for most he hit those for six early this season. Personally I feel Wiggins could win the Giro rather comfortably and Froome would have the best chance of beating Contador. Though Froome would also win the Giro, and Wiggins if he went only for the Tour I think would podium. If it's Brad's call and he decides to only do the Tour, then he gets leadership, and they send Froome to the Giro. But if Wiggins chooses to go to Italy it is too much to back him in as outright leader for the Tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

Yeah sure. But that's a completely different issue.
Sorry, I'm talking about whether or not Wiggins can be relied upon to superdom for Froome in the Tour, sacrificing his own GC (i.e. when he says he will support, do we believe him?). I agree that Wiggins has a good record as a teammate in other situations.

Last edited by Ferminal; 12-17-12 at 15:43.
Old 12-17-12, 16:04

Aha...Wiggins talkin' the big talk, can't imagine what the haters would feel like if he did achieve that Giro/TDF double !

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wigg...double-attempt

Quote:
"I've always wanted to win a second Tour. I'm the defending champion. I want to try and win the Giro d'Italia and win the Tour de France behind it. People say it can't be done, winning two Tours. So let's have a go at it," the Guardian newspaper reported Wiggins as saying.
Old 12-17-12, 18:19

Two contrasting reports on Froome's today reaction to Wiggo's seeming volte-face

ESPN highlight the one possible negative note from an interview with Sky Sports

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/sto...l?CMP=OTC-RSS#

Whilst in a BBC interview, Froome is sanguine about it all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20759575

Brailsford on BBC Radio today;

"You want people who are motivated towards big goals and big targets, and then its my job to try and use the coaching staff to make all the right tactical decisions to ensure that we can win the race.

We've certainly got some plans now, and as we move through the season, we'll use evidence and results as we move along.

Chris is focusing on the Tour and if Bradley does ride the Giro [Tour of Italy in May], we'll have to see how he comes out of that, and assess the situation as you get close to the actual event.

At the end of the day, the legs will do the talking."
Old 12-18-12, 00:37

Froome: Call me No 1. Here we go!

"Chris Froome does not do rock star or sideburns. Unlike another cyclist who has been in the news, you will not catch Froome playing rhythm guitar to Wonderwall at an after-show party."

The scientific explanation for Vincenzo Nibali's extraordinary descending ability is his large cojones, which lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents
Old 12-18-12, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post

"Chris Froome does not do rock star or sideburns. Unlike another cyclist who has been in the news, you will not catch Froome playing rhythm guitar to Wonderwall at an after-show party."

For some reason Froome Dawg reminds me of Moon Monkey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gn9Vq1Vg20
v=_gn9Vq1Vg20"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gn9Vq1Vg20[/URL]
Old 12-18-12, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post

I don't want to see the test stars in the IPL either. They're better than that, they're test stars for a reason. Anyway, imagine Cook, Compton and Trott tearing it up in a 2020. Oooh that's a feast for sore eyes...

The thing on the right, he wouldn't have even got a photo in if there wasn't a image dispute.
Old 12-18-12, 02:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjambunath View Post
I don't want to see the test stars in the IPL either. They're better than that, they're test stars for a reason. Anyway, imagine Cook, Compton and Trott tearing it up in a 2020. Oooh that's a feast for sore eyes...

The thing on the right, he wouldn't have even got a photo in if there wasn't a image dispute.
I hope they keep away from the leaches at the IPL. Like you said they are much better than that. Also they all know test cricket is the ultimate and dont need to make a quick buck like many on the sub-continent.