Can Wiggo win the Giro-Tour double next year? - Page 5 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: So, can he do it?
No 133 72.68%
Yes 12 6.56%
Yes. And after, he will win Vuelta too 3 1.64%
Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East 35 19.13%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-12, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Basso couldn't do it, hesjedal couldn't do it, Contador couldn't do it, so there is no way Wiggins can do it.
Hesjedal crashed out so we don't know for certain that he "couldn't" do it.
Old 12-17-12, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
If Contador couldn't, it says only about him.

It is a matter of a super rider exceptionally. Contador may be can, Froome, Wiggins maybe. Probably, one will seriously hit a GT scene in the nearer years. It can happen next year, but it won't a miracle if no one wins in 50 years. Anyway, one should have much luck and many coincidences to do this. But I stick to my opinion. It would be easier for a rider with an emphasis on TT.

The main problem is a double has to be a need of supreme level as everything less significant should already be achieved. So in reality such an attempt can occur only from Contador, but I'm not absolutely sure. Even 2011 try was one global necessity for fear of skipping the Tour. Contador said something like he might be try after the 2010 Tour, but I don't think he would make his mind up go for it purposefully. Winning a Giro-Tour double like an improvization is obviously unlikely.

This baffles me. I have the same confidence in Contador's abilities and yet when I or anyone else presents this confidence in a post, you arrive on the scene to batter everyone senseless with the same bs about our being biased or fanboys/girls and blinded by our admiration. Now here we have you pretty much agreeing with us with the bolded statement. What is the point of all this crap that you post if deep down you agree us? You once said that you like to take the opposing viewpoint especially primarily when it concerns who you define as being the downtrodden, picked upon riders (the Schlecks, Wiggins & Froome) in this forum. So you're just arguing for arguments sake without any true convictions?
Old 12-17-12, 18:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
Hesjedal crashed out so we don't know for certain that he "couldn't" do it.
Yes, that true, but it's unlikely that Hesjedal would have beaten Wiggins on those parcours

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-17-12, 19:07

If he goes for both, he'll win both,.
Old 12-17-12, 19:16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
This baffles me. I have the same confidence in Contador's abilities and yet when I or anyone else presents this confidence in a post, you arrive on the scene to batter everyone senseless with the same bs about our being biased or fanboys/girls and blinded by our admiration. Now here we have you pretty much agreeing with us with the bolded statement. What is the point of all this crap that you post if deep down you agree us? You once said that you like to take the opposing viewpoint especially primarily when it concerns who you define as being the downtrodden, picked upon riders (the Schlecks, Wiggins & Froome) in this forum. So you're just arguing for arguments sake without any true convictions?
I was saying he can, not he will. Ha can because all other GTs were won and he can deserve to take an extra risk and try even if he fails and the entire season will be a ineffective sacrifice. I just draw a principal line before 'total palmares' and 'actual strength' so I consider Froome #1 favorite for the Tour, though, clearly he won't try a double at an early date.

Fans and fanboys can be very different. Say jens_attacks, a big fanboy actually, but it is unfolded in a very kind manner. Blind fanboysism towards huge mountain show! Full contact! That is great. But many things make me laugh. Some fans assert a right for Contador's exceptionality and being underlinedly by far stronger than others so zealously and desperately. Lol, he defends himself far less actively than one do this on the forum. I'm not against fanboysism, I'm against when fanboysism makes people sling mud and belittle other riders. Calling people idiots, attempts to give rivals a role of gazelle, saying 'i hate him because he can beat Alberto'. There was a lot of things.

CRAP? Damn... What crap? With what should I agree?

Last edited by airstream; 12-17-12 at 19:22.
Old 12-17-12, 19:54

Quote:
Yes, that true, but it's unlikely that Hesjedal would have beaten Wiggins on those parcours
On the day the Tour started, Cartlon Kirby picked Hejsedal for the win, so yeah he had no chance
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-17-12, 20:04

Quote:
Unfortunately we'll never know for certain.
Old 12-17-12, 20:05

Yes, any rider can. If the rider is 100% and he have a great team that allow. The team must protect and he (leader) shall not fall and pricinpalmente not have anyone better than him in the peloton.

Last edited by pdluz7; 12-17-12 at 20:10.
Old 12-17-12, 20:41

I like Wiggo, but not a chance in heck of doing the double next year or any year*
Its simply beyond anyone in the modern era. The residual effects of the Giro simply must affect the tour.

*unless they REALLY give favorable parcours with maybe 2-300km of ITT.
Old 12-17-12, 20:56

I think it's possible. The double is hardly unprecedented. The key is being able to win the Giro without being at your best. Obviously that takes a rider with a large margin over the rest of the competition

Contador failed in 2011 partly because of crashes in the Tour but mostly because he was too good in the Giro - hitting that level of form again probably is impossible. If he'd been at a much lower level in May but still good enough to win narrowly then he may well have been in peak form for the Tour