Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-12, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?
Very much true. His best performance was the 2010 Giro, still without the pressure of leadership. In the 2011 Giro he attacked on a descent, but immediately dropped on the next climb. He did the same in TdF, on the stage to Peyragudes, but he finished the stage together with Van Garderen. Terrific rider indeed. His podium spot symbolized the poor field of the Tour.
Old 12-18-12, 12:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Very much true. His best performance was the 2010 Giro, still without the pressure of leadership. In the 2011 Giro he attacked on a descent, but immediately dropped on the next climb. He did the same in TdF, on the stage to Peyragudes, but he finished the stage together with Van Garderen. Terrific rider indeed. His podium spot symbolized the poor field of the Tour.
wait, Nibali attacked on the descent in that stage? I must have missed that

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-18-12, 12:31
Banned

Quote:
Well, he deserved this actually. To me, Nibali is the first (neither Rodriguez nor Valverde) man in a sesquialteral echelon of GT riders after Schleck, Froome, Wiggins and Contador. But he needs to make a big step to beat Wiggins at such a type of parcours. 50 k TT. What is a plausible margin? 2'30 - 3 min. In this year's Tour Wiggins rode both TT's miraculously sure, but Nibali did them better than I personally expected too.

Last edited by airstream; 12-18-12 at 12:42.
Old 12-18-12, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
yes he followed the breakaway early on the mente descent but alejandro told him to stop.
Old 12-18-12, 12:41

Quote:
You're trying to confuse some readers here. The only serious attack was on stage 10 on the descent of Grand Colombier. In the stage (17) that Valverde won, he was already injured. It was just a bluff attack in an effort to mask his injury, but Valverde convinced him to drop back to the peloton so that the breakaway would have a chance.
Old 12-18-12, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
Thanks. I guess Henao/Uran combo is option 9

Poor guys, for some posters and Sky, they're always the mules, the donkeys, the columbians...but never mentioned by their names. No much respect for them.

PS: Not talking about you or the OP.
henao and uran are probably also not going.
Old 12-18-12, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?
We're talking about a climb that suited Wiggins perfectly... and yet he still got dropped by his teammate.
Old 12-18-12, 13:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
yes he followed the breakaway early on the mente descent but alejandro told him to stop.
oh, right. Wasn't exactly the same as he did in the Giro though.

Old 12-18-12, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
We forgive you. Most of us nodded off multiple times during most stages.
Old 12-18-12, 13:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
We forgive you. Most of us nodded off multiple times during most stages.
That wasn't a proper attack so I just deleted it from my memory

Closed Thread