Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-18-12, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheKid View Post
Lemond is looking for cash in wake of his victory over the Texan. Regain the throne sort of mentality I would say. Lemond looks to be as deluded as the Texas wonderkid who took it from him using better doping than he had available. It's like a two-year old ranting "I want my fame and fortune back." Your avitar had much to say about the "little helpers" of his generation. I have no proof that Greg did, but I also have little doubt Fignon had reason to lie about what was going on in the sport then. Was Greg so much better than those those who used? In Dubious Battle? What's what and who's who?

Please post ANY Credible source that states Greg doped at ANY time in his career, times/places, doctors, etc. Not hearsay from an admitted doper, who tried passing blame on everyone. One CREDIBLE source please(teammate/coach/rider/etc), FACTUAL proof.
"According to Mrs LeMond, Armstrong said: "There's no way you could have won your Tour de Frances without EPO." And Greg got very angry and said, "Listen, I won my - I was third in 1984, I was second in 1985, I won in 1986. This type of drug did not exist.The difference between you and me is that I have a 95 VO2 max and you have an 82, and you're - you don't - basically you don't know what you're talking about."(Proving Wonderboy is a clueless, lying POS)
Old 12-18-12, 13:27

Wow, Master50, a well reasoned argument that doesn't involve speculation or questionable tactics from 30 years ago! See, BillytheKid, it can be done.

I see your point, and it was well argued. I do disagree on one matter. I think it's time for a UCI president who is blunt. Someone who isn't going to be slick and political. Verbuggen and McQuaid have been, and it hasn't been good for the sport. At this time, cycling needs someone who is going to come in and tell it like it is.
Old 12-18-12, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post
I am trying to figure out if you are trying to support my argument. Well you have show Pat is qualified and Greg has related experience.

No, running a sports organization is not like running a business, the goals are not aligned and while I will acknowledge Greg may be a businessman and even a good one he is not experienced in sports governance. Greg isn't even eligible at this point as he would need to be elected as a candidate put forth from USA cycling. Even if McQuaid quit today Greg is not going to be the guy in any short order. Do you think that there might be someone else at USA cycling who is already eligible to be an American candidate for president?

Sure the UCI could be replaced with another organization that would be indistinguishable from the one in place once they are finished with the IOC and the one hundred and some federations who also have to cede their power to the new organization. Maybe the pros could get out but no one who ever wanted to race in an olympic sport. For non pros the only amateur route is through carding out of the federation. Most government support goes only to athletes in olympic sports. Do you know that Downhill MTB riders and Cyclocross racers get no federal funding but all the olympic cycling disciplines do. So all the amateurs in your breakaway Sport will lose any government funding as will facilities and coaches. Might work for the US but in Canada the sport would collapse overnight.
Now none of this prevents Mr Lemond from pursuing a UCI presidency or from being the president of any new cycling organization but don't expect that the people who would elect him might not have other ideas about who should run? If USA Cycling wanted to make a run at the UCI presidency whom do you think they would back? I don't see Greg at the top of the list and I wouldn't put it past a board member or 2 that would want Lance over Greg but that is only speculation.

I do like Greg and I think he is a man of great integrity but This is a job for a politician and Greg is too blunt. (Did I really just type that?)

Yup I reread it. Politics need skill at politics and the job is political. Just like I would not be a good politician I certainly have not seen much skill in that regard from Greg. He is too blunt.

Yeah I know be the change you want and I do wish for honestly from our politicians but bad politicians cause a lot of problems when they don't know how to get the population to look forward to the trip. Even honest ones need it too.
the UCI is a business.

your argument is silly. it's based on little more than a hunch. let me guess, you don't actually know lemond?

so you're guessing from a few light years removed that lemond won't be a good fit for the job? i could care less about your "feelings". if not lemond, then who do you suggest? if you don't have anyone better in mind then your contribution is just about worthless.
Old 12-18-12, 14:22
Banned

Quote:
I am trying to figure out if you are trying to support my argument. Well you have show Pat is qualified and Greg has related experience.

No, running a sports organization is not like running a business, the goals are not aligned and while I will acknowledge Greg may be a businessman and even a good one he is not experienced in sports governance. Greg isn't even eligible at this point as he would need to be elected as a candidate put forth from USA cycling. Even if McQuaid quit today Greg is not going to be the guy in any short order. Do you think that there might be someone else at USA cycling who is already eligible to be an American candidate for president?

Sure the UCI could be replaced with another organization that would be indistinguishable from the one in place once they are finished with the IOC and the one hundred and some federations who also have to cede their power to the new organization. Maybe the pros could get out but no one who ever wanted to race in an olympic sport. For non pros the only amateur route is through carding out of the federation. Most government support goes only to athletes in olympic sports. Do you know that Downhill MTB riders and Cyclocross racers get no federal funding but all the olympic cycling disciplines do. So all the amateurs in your breakaway Sport will lose any government funding as will facilities and coaches. Might work for the US but in Canada the sport would collapse overnight.
Now none of this prevents Mr Lemond from pursuing a UCI presidency or from being the president of any new cycling organization but don't expect that the people who would elect him might not have other ideas about who should run? If USA Cycling wanted to make a run at the UCI presidency whom do you think they would back? I don't see Greg at the top of the list and I wouldn't put it past a board member or 2 that would want Lance over Greg but that is only speculation.

I do like Greg and I think he is a man of great integrity but This is a job for a politician and Greg is too blunt. (Did I really just type that?)

Yup I reread it. Politics need skill at politics and the job is political. Just like I would not be a good politician I certainly have not seen much skill in that regard from Greg. He is too blunt.

Yeah I know be the change you want and I do wish for honestly from our politicians but bad politicians cause a lot of problems when they don't know how to get the population to look forward to the trip. Even honest ones need it too.
You highlight the point, yet miss it.
Why should being the head of a Sports administration be political? Surely their role is to develop the sport, draw up rules and ensure they are implemented.
The fact that it is political is one of the areas that CCN (& others) is trying to change.

As for LeMond- he is not looking to be UCI president. He merely agreed to be considered if the UCI imploded and needed to be restructured, which is highly unlikely. Greg is as capable and worthy as anyone.
Old 12-18-12, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post

As for LeMond- he is not looking to be UCI president. He merely agreed to be considered if the UCI imploded and needed to be restructured, which is highly unlikely. Greg is as capable and worthy as anyone.
THIS. Pretty spot on.
"According to Mrs LeMond, Armstrong said: "There's no way you could have won your Tour de Frances without EPO." And Greg got very angry and said, "Listen, I won my - I was third in 1984, I was second in 1985, I won in 1986. This type of drug did not exist.The difference between you and me is that I have a 95 VO2 max and you have an 82, and you're - you don't - basically you don't know what you're talking about."(Proving Wonderboy is a clueless, lying POS)
Old 12-19-12, 02:39

Message to McQuaid: Paddy, doesn't matter if you think LeMond is arrogant. That is not important. What is important is that cycling needs change and to move forward, with or without you.
Old 12-19-12, 03:24

Quote:

Please note that I do not think it would be best for the UCI or for Greg for him to take over as an interim head. Such a move, however, would be completely consistent with Corporate, Government, and Not-for-profit practice.

Thus, it is fully defensible and rational even if my opinion does not support it.

With respect to the biggest divergence from a 'business' and an organization like the UCI, the UCI is a not-for-profit. Not-for-profits differ from for profit enterprises in their accounting practices and tax treatment. Fortunately, the UCI has both an accounting staff as well as consultants and auditors. This would not be an issue for Greg.

Moreover, being a not for profit does not mean that the UCI cannot pursue lucrative opportunities. And, just like a business, this may be the preferable approach.

If we compare Pat when he first took the helm to Greg now, Pat did have three years of hands-on experience operating a (small) NSO, where Greg had many more years of experience as an athlete in the Pro Peloton and as a supplier to Pro and neo-Pro teams. Greg was the first cyclist to get major contracts and sponsorships.

Greg definitely knows the business world of high performance cycling.

It is important to keep in mind that neither Greg nor Pat have to do all of the jobs that are within the UCI organization. They don't even need to know what they all are, or who does them.

As with the accounting staff, it is also critical to keep in mind that the UCI is fully staffed.

With respect to the actual job, the three key roles of ALL 'CEO's are as follows:

1. Establish the organization's strategy
2. Function as the primary communicator to all stakeholders and the outside world
3. Make sure the enterprise is funded

It is a short, but very challenging list. Evaluate any CEO against it.

It is also a list that Greg, as interim head, could almost certainly do a credible job of.

Again, these observations are not intended to defend and not even supporting Greg, but simply stating fact. I believe that Greg is more than capable of performing as interim head, even if I would like to see a different outcome (e.g. no interim head, and a long-term replacement for Pat at the earliest opportunity).

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"

Last edited by D-Queued; 12-19-12 at 03:59.
Old 12-28-12, 00:51

Greg Lemond knows nothing about Africa?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/m...ge-218040.html
Old 12-28-12, 01:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashimono View Post
Greg Lemond knows nothing about Africa?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/m...ge-218040.html
"I know about Guinness, chicken wings, bar snacks, how to drink a pint and light a cigarette at the same time, how to tip a lady of the night, how to treat a hostess in Kazahstan, LeMond knows none of these things. I once did a bunnyhop on a BMX over an old Sysmex machine at the UCI Christmas party in '06. I know now to take bribes - LeMond has no experience in that field.... I could go on, you know?"
Old 12-28-12, 02:35

[RANT]

That w@nker infuriates me every time he opens his mouth!

After running the sport in a way that disproportionately emphasizes men's road racing, he want's to hide from road fans behind the skirts of BMX!

I wish MTB and BMX would flex their muscles and get rid of the disingenuous, devious, old git.

His knowledge about Africa or BMX is worthless without integrity.

[/RANT]