Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-12, 13:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
We're talking about a climb that suited Wiggins perfectly... and yet he still got dropped by his teammate.
What didn't let Nibali attack on more suited climbs? It is not very serious. When one is dropped he is dropped forever and no one can salvage him properly. Wiggins simply felt bad for 30 seconds or something.
Old 12-18-12, 13:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
What didn't let Nibali attack on more suited climbs?
The absence of them. Or their bad positions.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-18-12, 14:08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
The absence of them. Or their bad positions.
Planches des Belles Filles. Attack! I don't wanna...

My opinion is there is no principal difference between a 6% av. climb and an 8-8.5% one. If one is good, one is good at any climbs and it works almost always. A really powerful team can arrange an up-and-downer even on a climb like.. Sierra Nevada... I don't know. It is exceptionally a matter of purpose. But even if it is the case. Since when has Nibali became an outstanding master of steep ramps?
Old 12-18-12, 14:11
Administrator

Quote:
Planches des Belles Filles. Attack! I don't wanna...

My opinion is there is no principal difference between a 6% av. climb and an 8-8.5% one. If one is good, one is good at any climbs and it works almost always. A really powerful team can arrange an up-and-downer even on a climb like.. Sierra Nevada... I don't know. It is exceptionally a matter of purpose. But even if it is the case. Since when has Nibali became an outstanding master of steep ramps?
He's not an outstanding master, but he should be better than Wiggins. Again we have no proof since the Tour had none of them But Nibbles did very well on the Zonc in 2011 and last year he was easily with the very best on the Muro di Sormano. So I'd say he goes pretty well on steep climbs.

Old 12-18-12, 14:18

wiggo is too obvious

my pick is one of
pellizotti
rujano
danilo di luca
ivan basso
Old 12-18-12, 14:23

My nationality forced me to vote for Gesink

I'm really hoping for an epic Gesink vs. Nibali battle here.
Old 12-18-12, 14:31

gesink will crash or suck or quite possibly both
Old 12-18-12, 14:41
Banned

Quote:
He's not an outstanding master, but he should be better than Wiggins. Again we have no proof since the Tour had none of them But Nibbles did very well on the Zonc in 2011 and last year he was easily with the very best on the Muro di Sormano. So I'd say he goes pretty well on steep climbs.
What does the Giro include but Trecime? Some 2-3k 9-10% pieces in the second week. That's it. Wiggins is not an idiot. He will not try to contest against Nibali or Rodriguez in explosiveness. He will lose 10-15 seconds in cold blood..
Old 12-18-12, 14:50
Administrator

Quote:
What does the Giro include but Trecime? Some 2-3k 9-10% pieces in the second week. That's it. Wiggins is not an idiot. He will not try to contest against Nibali or Rodriguez in explosiveness. He will lose 10-15 seconds in cold blood..
Let's say I expect him to lose a bit more but you're right, the Wiggins of last Tour would never lose as much as he gained in the ITT. But we have to see if he will be the same of the Tour, I already said that in the beginning and in the former thread too.
In the next Giro Le Tre Cime is the only one overly steep climb, but there are at least 4-5 climbs that are harder than anything Wiggins saw at the last Tour (except maybe Croix De Fer) plus a dozen of small and explosive climbs in the medium mountain stages, which could be very dangerous if his opponents try to exploit them (not sure if they will ofc). Also you could consider that in the next Giro Wiggins will likely remain without teammates at a certain point, something that last year never happened.

Last edited by Eshnar; 12-18-12 at 14:53.
Old 12-18-12, 14:57

Quote:
Let's say I expect him to lose a bit more but you're right, the Wiggins of last Tour would never lose as much as he gained in the ITT. But we have to see if he will be the same of the Tour, I already said that in the beginning and in the former thread too.
In the next Giro Le Tre Cime is the only one overly steep climb, but there are at least 4-5 climbs that are harder than anything Wiggins saw at the last Tour (except maybe Croix De Fer) plus a dozen of small and explosive climbs in the medium mountain stages, which could be very dangerous if his opponents try to exploit them (not sure if they will ofc). Also you could consider that in the next Giro Wiggins will likely remain without teammates at a certain point, something that last year never happened.
Good post.

Though I believe that if Wiggins shows his form from the Tour then he may be too much for Nibali on the steeper finishes. The best indication of that was PDBF on Stage 7 where Wiggins seemed more in control than Nibali..
Closed Thread