Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 211 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-18-12, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
I live in the netherlands and here people also get credited by the queen and it's just as backwards as yours
I can not speak for the Netherlands but in Britain it is an honour which is considered very prestigious...

It would be a shame imo to call Wiggins a "sir", but then again Sir Chris is doing pretty well with his one by his name..
Old 12-18-12, 15:02

I guess the answer to my question was, "Christmas."
Old 12-18-12, 15:46

Default It's "Sir Bradley" not "Sir Wiggins"

I'm a republican and a democrat, with little time for medieval fantasy titles, but if you are determined to big them up, please make an effort to use the correct terminology.

The convention is to call knights and dames by their given name, never their family name.

So it's Sir Chris, Sir Dave, and Sir Bradley.
Old 12-18-12, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tei6chai View Post
I'm a republican and a democrat, with little time for medieval fantasy titles, but if you are determined to big them up, please make an effort to use the correct terminology.

The convention is to call knights and dames by their given name, never their family name.

So it's Sir Chris, Sir Dave, and Sir Bradley.
meh, Sir Wiggins sounds much better. Next in line will be Sir Cav.
Old 12-18-12, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
I can not speak for the Netherlands but in Britain it is an honour which is considered very prestigious...
Maybe for you but for.those of us who don't give a **** about celebrities its a meaningless long devalued award.

Who gets the knighthood, the person who devotes his life.to help get inner city kids out of gangs and gets them an education? The doctor who develops vital.medication? The police officer who puts his.life.on the line?

No its the guy who hosts a chatshow, the guy who commentaries on football, the guy who gets cast in Hollywood movies.

You don't speak for.me.and you don't speak for millions of brits who don't while away their Saturday evenings watching the x factor.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-18-12, 16:57

Wish he'd do what Danny Boyle did and say no thanks!
Old 12-18-12, 17:13

Froome is the man for the Tour according to Wiggins from sky sports news. Just on the tv was a short interview with wiggins and he said Froome was the obvious choice for the tour if he would go for the Giro. Wiggins did say that he would be at the tour as 2nd leader
Old 12-18-12, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalacain View Post
Wish he'd do what Danny Boyle did and say no thanks!
Oh so people actually do that, I was wondering about that! Mad respect for Danny Boyle

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 12-18-12, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Maybe for you but for.those of us who don't give a **** about celebrities its a meaningless long devalued award.

Who gets the knighthood, the person who devotes his life.to help get inner city kids out of gangs and gets them an education? The doctor who develops vital.medication? The police officer who puts his.life.on the line?

No its the guy who hosts a chatshow, the guy who commentaries on football, the guy who gets cast in Hollywood movies.

You don't speak for.me.and you don't speak for millions of brits who don't while away their Saturday evenings watching the x factor.
Lol, I don't watch X Factor and I have long grown tired of celebrity rubbish. I have not followed all that for a while. If I asked many of the people I know what they considered of a knighthood they would have answered what I have written above. The press and media consider it the same way, not to say that means anything, but there is an undeniable consensus who believe that. There may be some people who either have not grown up in England and do not really relate to its history and culture or people who are cynics and understandably are unimpressed by some people who have received the honour . And even nowadays knighthoods are given to very honourable people. Just there are some as well who are not as honourable and should not be given it. OBEs and all that are generally given to the people you described only the ones who standout are given knighthood.

Oh and here is a link to the queen's honours list for last year. What percentage of the knighthoods were given to people who were as you described? They are the most noticeable, but dont assume they are the only ones just because you disdain them.

honours list
Old 12-18-12, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
And even nowadays knighthoods are given to very honourable people. Just there are some as well who are not as honourable and should not be given it.
Ehhhr
Jimmy Saville
Fred Goodwin

Although to be fair I think they stripped Goodwin's off him, but there's a lt of those sort of characters made knights etc.