Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 211 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2101  
Old 12-18-12, 14:45
Froome19's Avatar
Froome19 Froome19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Posts: 3,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
I live in the netherlands and here people also get credited by the queen and it's just as backwards as yours
I can not speak for the Netherlands but in Britain it is an honour which is considered very prestigious...

It would be a shame imo to call Wiggins a "sir", but then again Sir Chris is doing pretty well with his one by his name..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Gratz to Cav.
Reply With Quote
  #2102  
Old 12-18-12, 15:02
The_Z_man's Avatar
The_Z_man The_Z_man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Manayunk Wall
Posts: 293
Default

I guess the answer to my question was, "Christmas."
__________________
June 5, 1988 The Day the Strong Men Cried
Reply With Quote
  #2103  
Old 12-18-12, 15:46
Tei6chai Tei6chai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 114
Default It's "Sir Bradley" not "Sir Wiggins"

I'm a republican and a democrat, with little time for medieval fantasy titles, but if you are determined to big them up, please make an effort to use the correct terminology.

The convention is to call knights and dames by their given name, never their family name.

So it's Sir Chris, Sir Dave, and Sir Bradley.
Reply With Quote
  #2104  
Old 12-18-12, 15:50
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tei6chai View Post
I'm a republican and a democrat, with little time for medieval fantasy titles, but if you are determined to big them up, please make an effort to use the correct terminology.

The convention is to call knights and dames by their given name, never their family name.

So it's Sir Chris, Sir Dave, and Sir Bradley.
meh, Sir Wiggins sounds much better. Next in line will be Sir Cav.
Reply With Quote
  #2105  
Old 12-18-12, 16:03
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 22,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
I can not speak for the Netherlands but in Britain it is an honour which is considered very prestigious...
Maybe for you but for.those of us who don't give a **** about celebrities its a meaningless long devalued award.

Who gets the knighthood, the person who devotes his life.to help get inner city kids out of gangs and gets them an education? The doctor who develops vital.medication? The police officer who puts his.life.on the line?

No its the guy who hosts a chatshow, the guy who commentaries on football, the guy who gets cast in Hollywood movies.

You don't speak for.me.and you don't speak for millions of brits who don't while away their Saturday evenings watching the x factor.
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #2106  
Old 12-18-12, 16:57
zalacain zalacain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 225
Default

Wish he'd do what Danny Boyle did and say no thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2107  
Old 12-18-12, 17:13
AntonioRossi AntonioRossi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 477
Default

Froome is the man for the Tour according to Wiggins from sky sports news. Just on the tv was a short interview with wiggins and he said Froome was the obvious choice for the tour if he would go for the Giro. Wiggins did say that he would be at the tour as 2nd leader
Reply With Quote
  #2108  
Old 12-18-12, 19:23
Christian's Avatar
Christian Christian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sevilla
Posts: 4,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalacain View Post
Wish he'd do what Danny Boyle did and say no thanks!
Oh so people actually do that, I was wondering about that! Mad respect for Danny Boyle
__________________
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Reply With Quote
  #2109  
Old 12-18-12, 19:30
Froome19's Avatar
Froome19 Froome19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Posts: 3,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Maybe for you but for.those of us who don't give a **** about celebrities its a meaningless long devalued award.

Who gets the knighthood, the person who devotes his life.to help get inner city kids out of gangs and gets them an education? The doctor who develops vital.medication? The police officer who puts his.life.on the line?

No its the guy who hosts a chatshow, the guy who commentaries on football, the guy who gets cast in Hollywood movies.

You don't speak for.me.and you don't speak for millions of brits who don't while away their Saturday evenings watching the x factor.
Lol, I don't watch X Factor and I have long grown tired of celebrity rubbish. I have not followed all that for a while. If I asked many of the people I know what they considered of a knighthood they would have answered what I have written above. The press and media consider it the same way, not to say that means anything, but there is an undeniable consensus who believe that. There may be some people who either have not grown up in England and do not really relate to its history and culture or people who are cynics and understandably are unimpressed by some people who have received the honour . And even nowadays knighthoods are given to very honourable people. Just there are some as well who are not as honourable and should not be given it. OBEs and all that are generally given to the people you described only the ones who standout are given knighthood.

Oh and here is a link to the queen's honours list for last year. What percentage of the knighthoods were given to people who were as you described? They are the most noticeable, but dont assume they are the only ones just because you disdain them.

honours list
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Gratz to Cav.
Reply With Quote
  #2110  
Old 12-18-12, 19:39
Tom375's Avatar
Tom375 Tom375 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
And even nowadays knighthoods are given to very honourable people. Just there are some as well who are not as honourable and should not be given it.
Ehhhr
Jimmy Saville
Fred Goodwin

Although to be fair I think they stripped Goodwin's off him, but there's a lt of those sort of characters made knights etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.