Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-12, 15:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar
In the next Giro Le Tre Cime is the only one overly steep climb, but there are at least 4-5 climbs that are harder than anything Wiggins saw at the last Tour (except maybe Croix De Fer)
But almost all of them will be overpassed at a very sparing rhythm due to emplacement far away from finish.

Quote:
Also you could consider that in the next Giro Wiggins will likely remain without teammates at a certain point, something that last year never happened.
But we should not run to extremes too. The fact that he may be dropped won't take away his composure, mastery and experience as many people who like to criticize him like to underline. Though, I don't quite understand because of what we might give Nibali any edge in the mountains by default. Rodrigues is an absolutely differest story surely. I don't see Nibali hanging on Purito's attack based on what we saw in this season.

Last edited by airstream; 12-18-12 at 15:33.
Old 12-18-12, 15:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
But almost all of them will be overpassed at a very sparing rhythm due to emplacement far away from finish.
Maybe. Just like 'maybe' Wiggins will be as strong as last year.
Quote:
But we should not run to extremes too. The fact that he may be dropped won't take away his composure
again into the realm of possibilities
Quote:
I don't see Nibali hanging on Purito's attack based on what we saw in this season.
Nor do I. Nibbles sucks at uphill sprints.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-18-12, 18:26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Wiggo as a climber is on par with Nibali, at the very least. And there's a 50 k flattish TT in the race. If he approaches the form of the Tour next year, I don't see how Nibali can beat him.
Quote:
He smashed Nibali and he would have smashed Nibali even more unsparingly if it had been needed. It was an unconditional victory on all counts. Everything Nibali could do on the climbs was miserable school boy La Toussuire move when he could hang at the distance of 15-20 sec during 4-5 km's. What are we talking about?
But I'm not convinced Wiggins will be there in the form he had at the Tour. Plus it will be a harder race to control, and I could easily see Wiggins getting isolated more. I expect Nibali to be in much better form than we have seen in the past as well, he'll have a stronger team and I think he will be more motivated to win the Giro.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-18-12, 18:46

It's interesting how almost nobody rates Hesjedal... why would he be worse than Gesink, or even Nibali? This is how Vaughters likes it, he'll start as the underdog once again, but to me he has an equal or bigger chance than those guys.
Old 12-18-12, 18:50

Quote:
It's interesting how almost nobody rates Hesjedal... why would he be worse than Gesink, or even Nibali? This is how Vaughters likes it, he'll start as the underdog once again, but to me he has an equal or bigger chance than those guys.
It's down to the endless "weak field" argument that goes around and around the CN forum.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-18-12, 19:09

Quote:
same for me.
Old 12-18-12, 19:23

Quote:
Hesjedal has zero fan appeal, name one thing about him other than that he won the Giro and that he's always confused as an American but is a Canadian.
Old 12-18-12, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
Hesjedal has zero fan appeal, name one thing about him other than that he won the Giro and that he's always confused as an American but is a Canadian.
Who ever confused hejsedal for an American.?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-18-12, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Who ever confused hejsedal for an American.?
He is an American.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-18-12, 20:35

Quote:
He's definitely one of the favourites, but it depends on the weather conditions imo. Giro 2012 had rain and cold all over the second and third week, which obviously benefited Hesjedal on the longer run as a much heavier rider than his competitors, except Basso. If the 2013 Giro has relatively good weather it's up to the lighter guys to take the win.
Closed Thread